Twisted Poetry (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Twisted Poetry

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/twisted-poetry/

Synths used:
- Nord Lead 2x
- RE303
- Serum
- Massive
- Sylenth
- FM8
- Spectral
- Discovery
- Kick 2
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

OMOMOM or translated ohmyohmyohmy :wink:
Its very strange, I've never been a great lover ( <√ fill in your own little joke here =D ) of this genre, however I think I've just been converted :love: :hihi: . There's enough bounce here to attempt liftoff, with an acid filling, then to top it off, JLP or Patrick Stewart ( to non subscribers :)
Mix is very strong, the beat is powerful, but didn't overwhelm the rest of the track somehow, would not put me off giving it sum ( Dancing that is )
Listening 3rd round was a bit trippy, as it was like the moment in the matrix with the black cat, it kept on repeating the opening section.
Overall, very enjoyable, even though I'm lying in bed with a summer cold/manflu ( its 30 odd degrees outside!! )
:tu: :tu: :party: :evil: :tu: 8) :clap:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:OMOMOM or translated ohmyohmyohmy :wink:
Its very strange, I've never been a great lover ( <√ fill in your own little joke here =D ) of this genre, however I think I've just been converted :love: :hihi: . There's enough bounce here to attempt liftoff, with an acid filling, then to top it off, JLP or Patrick Stewart ( to non subscribers :)
Mix is very strong, the beat is powerful, but didn't overwhelm the rest of the track somehow, would not put me off giving it sum ( Dancing that is )
Listening 3rd round was a bit trippy, as it was like the moment in the matrix with the black cat, it kept on repeating the opening section.
Overall, very enjoyable, even though I'm lying in bed with a summer cold/manflu ( its 30 odd degrees outside!! )
haha, thanks man :tu:

The sound design of these things is the most time consuming element by far. Only 3 or 4 of the sounds are samples with the remaining 80 or so hand rolled. Lucky I enjoy doing that or else I'd be in trouble :lol:

I started it in March so quite happy to be putting it to bed TBH.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Eauson wrote:OMOMOM or translated ohmyohmyohmy :wink:
haha, thanks man :tu:

The sound design of these things is the most time consuming element by far. Only 3 or 4 of the sounds are samples with the remaining 80 or so hand rolled. Lucky I enjoy doing that or else I'd be in trouble :lol:

I started it in March so quite happy to be putting it to bed TBH.
As I said in my roundabout way 8) :tu: you can hear the work that's gone into this :D
I see you have included the synth list, should kick up some sales in the outlets :)
Linplug spectral, interesting Beastie, the others I have no familarities with apart from synth1 the poor but happy mans lead :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:I see you have included the synth list, should kick up some sales in the outlets :)
Perhaps an unintentional yet positive side effect 8)
Eauson wrote:Linplug spectral, interesting Beastie, the others I have no familarities with apart from synth1 the poor but happy mans lead :)
I love Spectral and it was my favourite synth for a long time. However I since bought Serum and nothing can compare to that :love:

I did fire up Synth1 a couple times actually but eventually they were all eventually replaced. It is superb though.

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 10
Performance - 9
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.375

Comments: I was introduced to Psytrance by Recursive, whose stuff I love. So I kind of compare everything in this genre to his. You didn't disappoint. What an adventure. A thrill ride from start to finish.

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 10
Performance - 9
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.375

Comments: I was introduced to Psytrance by Recursive, whose stuff I love. So I kind of compare everything in this genre to his. You didn't disappoint. What an adventure. A thrill ride from start to finish.
Wow Wags, this is quite a surprise. You're notoriously very honest with your critiques so a 9.375 (nice to be accurate :lol:) is quite something :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 10
Performance - 9
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.375

Wow Wags, this is quite a surprise. You're notoriously very honest with your critiques so a 9.375 (nice to be accurate :lol:) is quite something :tu:
Well there's no denying that this was extremely well done, especially the mix. In fact, you should make a video and show exactly how you mixed each track. It would be quite a tutorial for those of us who still struggle a bit with mixing.

D'oh edited the post not added a new one. Grrr!
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well there's no denying that this was extremely well done, especially the mix.
:love:
wagtunes wrote:In fact, you should make a video and show exactly how you mixed each track. It would be quite a tutorial for those of us who still struggle a bit with mixing.
Mate, that's in equal parts completely flattering and daunting. I am, and I'm not being modest, a complete hack. I simply move knobs until it sounds good. That said, I do watch lots of YouTube vids and spend an inordinate amount of time of tracks.

Perhaps I'll give a rundown on what I did though. TBH there are various elements I'm not 100% on so perhaps a discussion would be in everybody's interest. I'll see if I have time tomorrow.

Thanks again, man :tu:
Well, if all you do is move knobs, you've got some divine being moving them for you because that was flawless. At least to my 60 year old ears.

I am curious to know what FX plugins you used, especially on the mix buss.

wagtunes wrote:Well, if all you do is move knobs, you've got some divine being moving them for you because that was flawless. At least to my 60 year old ears.

I am curious to know what FX plugins you used, especially on the mix buss.
I'm about to go out for dinner but I'll gladly give a rundown tomorrow 8)

Nice man,very nice.Loved it! As Wags already said the mix is very smooth. Loads of stuff going on that kept me interested and wanting more. Actually I wanted to be back at the bomb in Nottingham...... :tu: :harp:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote:Nice man,very nice.Loved it! As Wags already said the mix is very smooth. Loads of stuff going on that kept me interested and wanting more. Actually I wanted to be back at the bomb in Nottingham...... :tu: :harp:
Awesome. Many thanks, man. Appreciated :tu:

wagtunes wrote:In fact, you should make a video and show exactly how you mixed each track. It would be quite a tutorial for those of us who still struggle a bit with mixing.
Ok so here goes. I suspect it's going to be quite lengthy :oops:

The priority in these kinds of tracks is the bass. At a psytrance festival it needs to be incredibly powerful and driving.

The kick was made in Kick 2 to ensure it starts and finishes on E. Designing this took quite a lot of time. I then EQ'd it with Pro-Q2 to take out some mids given the frequency response was quite even across all bands (ie, way too dominating). I then added Waves Manny Marroquin Triple D on the DeBox setting to remove the mud/boxiness. I then used Xfer LFO Tool to ensure the kick didn't overlap into the next 16th note.

The bass was made in Massive and I adjusted the start of the oscillator phase to provide a little click at the start of the note. Doing so allowed me to filter the bass a little lower. I then EQ'd using apulsoft's apQualizr2 to raise the fundamental and lower the next two peaks. Despite the fact I knew the kick wasn't overlapping into the bass I was cautious and used the Infected Mushroom Kick and Bass solver to duck the bass when the kick hits. Typically I would just sidechain but I was using Cubase Elements for this which doesn't allow sidechaining.

In terms of mixing I was quite careful to ensure no sounds of similiar frequencies were playing simultaneously however I did low cut everything as much as possible. I was also careful to ensure that where a midrange sound is lengthy the high ones are short and vice versa.

The master output chain was a very quick job and TBH I'm not completely satisfied with it. Essentially it was Pro-Q2 to cut the very low frequencies, two instances of Pro-C in order to not be too aggressive followed by Pro-L on the clipping setting (this was the only preset used on the track).

Let me know if there's anything specific you're interested in 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Ok so here goes. I suspect it's going to be quite lengthy :oops:

The priority in these kinds of tracks is the bass. At a psytrance festival it needs to be incredibly powerful and driving.

The kick was made in Kick 2 to ensure it starts and finishes on E. Designing this took quite a lot of time. I then EQ'd it with Pro-Q2 to take out some mids given the frequency response was quite even across all bands (ie, way too dominating). I then added Waves Manny Marroquin Triple D on the DeBox setting to remove the mud/boxiness. I then used Xfer LFO Tool to ensure the kick didn't overlap into the next 16th note.

The bass was made in Massive and I adjusted the start of the oscillator phase to provide a little click at the start of the note. Doing so allowed me to filter the bass a little lower. I then EQ'd using apulsoft's apQualizr2 to raise the fundamental and lower the next two peaks. Despite the fact I knew the kick wasn't overlapping into the bass I was cautious and used the Infected Mushroom Kick and Bass solver to duck the bass when the kick hits. Typically I would just sidechain but I was using Cubase Elements for this which doesn't allow sidechaining.

In terms of mixing I was quite careful to ensure no sounds of similiar frequencies were playing simultaneously however I did low cut everything as much as possible. I was also careful to ensure that where a midrange sound is lengthy the high ones are short and vice versa.

The master output chain was a very quick job and TBH I'm not completely satisfied with it. Essentially it was Pro-Q2 to cut the very low frequencies, two instances of Pro-C in order to not be too aggressive followed by Pro-L on the clipping setting (this was the only preset used on the track).

Let me know if there's anything specific you're interested in 8)
And this explains why it sounds so good. I could never do that much work on just a kick and bass. That kind of attention to detail is what separates the pros from everybody else.

Thanks for sharing this.

Return to “Music Cafe”