Anyone using MDrummer ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone using MDrummer ? If so, how do you work with MIDI commands ? I put MDrummer on an instrument track, load a kit and a beat, press play on MD to test it, create a clip with a couple of basic notes like C-1 and C0 and play the clip. MDrummer does nothing at all when C-1 passes by whereas it should have started playing the beat if I'm not mistaken.

I have Mdrummer and its broken in Bitwig. I have contacted both Melda and Bitwig about this and both devs blame each other for the problem.

Thanks. Hopefully there will be a solution. Got MDrummer on special this week and would have never thought that receiving and acting on MIDI notes in normal mode would be a problem. In drum pad mode it works all right, but it's the MIDI command mode that's so important for building pieces.

UPDATE: I tried it in Harrison Mixbus32C which I use for mixing and mastering : works all right. However, Mixbus32C ain't Bitwig at all.

The Mantra wrote:I have Mdrummer and its broken in Bitwig. I have contacted both Melda and Bitwig about this and both devs blame each other for the problem.
Hi,

Can you describe exactly what's broken ? I'm currently contacting both Melda an Bitwig. Maybe this time ...

Cheers.

Bitwig cant receive midi from Mdrummer.
1. Bitwig does not detect the midi notes coming from Mdrummer. This means you cant use it to trigger any external drum kits.
2. Midi drag and drop does not work either.

I don't like the drum kits that come with mdrummer so its basically useless to me. I never use it. :(

Thanks. I forgot to ask, which OS are you using ?

Windows 7

Thanks. It seems that the issue has more to do with the timing information sent by Bitwig than with actual MIDI reception, which MDrummer receives in Drum Pad mode. Here on Linux MDrummer works in Drum Pad mode but looks like it's not receiving MIDI in normal command mode. Only when using Bitwig. When I use Harrison Mixbus32C it works fine. I'll see with Bitwig.

Through debugging MDrummer it was found out that Bitwig is sending the improper channel number. Bitwig is sending channel number + 1. This means that Rhtythm channel 1 in MDrummer will not be triggered. It also means that Rhythm channel 2 will be triggered by a C-1 MIDI note in a clip. This makes MDrummer functionnal for MIDI commands.

A bug will be reported to Bitwig.

Cheers.

I don't think we are talking about the same bug.

This is the bug report i sent BW

"Bitwig is not detecting the midi output of Mdrummer from MeldaProductions. Midi
drag and drop is also not functioning. This is confirmed by others on the
MeldaProductions forum. Both of these functions work correctly in Cubase 5 and
Live 9.1. Mdrummer is a virtual drummer so being unable to get midi data from it
basically kills the plugin.

Steps to reproduce lack of midi output:
1. Load Mdrummer on a midi track
2. Press play on Mdrummer
3. See that there is no flashing yellow light on Mdrummer device to signify midi
output.

Steps to reproduce broken midi drag and drop:
1. Load Mdrummer on a midi track
2. Click on "song" tab on Mdrummer
3. Click on the "midi" icon in the lower right corner of the song tab and drag
onto bitwig.
4. see that instead of creating a midi file, the mouse cursor changes into a
circle with a diagonal line through it.

hardware and software setup:
Windows 7 64 bit, Amd FX6300 six core 3.5 GHZ, 8 gigs or ram, Digi 220 audio
interface, Bitwig 1.2
Mdrummer is version 6.01
"

The response was...

"Sorry for the delayed reply, and thanks for reporting, we have filed a similar issue concerning this behaviour with another MIDI pattern creator where drag and drop seems to not function. So I added this to the report and it shall be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again!

All the best,
Jonathan
"

All of this took place back in 2015... :x
Your interest in this topic makes me want to send another report, but I don't want to spam them since they acknowledged that they know the bug exists...

Maybe Its a low priority because not that many people use Mdrummer. Maybe they just forgot... Hopefully you will have better luck with your bug reports then I did. :cry:

I see. I haven't really spent any time on MDrummer yet, I barely know what seems to be dozens of interesting features. This MIDI drag/drop could be useful if one works a structure from a drum kit. I just tried it in 2.3.4, dragging from the MIDI button in the Song section to a clip, and Bitwig only reports a red 'not allowed' sign.

Cheers.

Return to “Bitwig”