LibreArp - my free pattern-based VST arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LibreArp

alefunguju wrote:First off, there will be much more coming in the future versions. Consider the first version a proof-of-concept.

If you're interested in what's on the to-do list (it's already quite a lot and more items are being added), you can take a look at the issue tracker on GitLab (link on the official page).
Thanks for sharing these info, I was having a long test session for LibreArp today, and indeed there's a a good glimpse of that big to-do list...

Before I give my feedback, I will reply to the below QAs

To phreaque:
to be considered before moving to MacOS

Why would I do that before moving to macOS? The codebase is cross-platform as-is, someone just needs to compile it, which I can't do, personally, simply because I don't have and currently don't plan on getting a macOS device. I see no reason to postpone macOS community builds (that is: done by someone else than me) until more features are done.

You're right, I didn't realize that, but when I checked the website, read the guide I realized the development for mentioned platforms is identical somehow.

1. Color based keynotes to determine the key sorting (e.g. blue = 1st note, orange = 3rd note, grey = root note etc.)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. If you mean some visual representation of which note is which number in from the input, that's already on the to-do.

You got me right, and it's great to know that you're planning to implement this in future release.

2. Ability to add markers and to define Midi CC to jump through different arp variations.

I rather plan on having the ability to add multiple arp patterns and a song-wide timeline of when each pattern is supposed to play. The plan is to add this feature on version 3.

Well, I'm not quite sure what those patterns would like like, but my idea was to allow having variety of basslines for example across let's say 8 bars, and each bar represent a midi-triggerable zone... But I sense that you're into the same thing, perhaps we just use different terminology.

3. Adding a midi out feature so it gives ability to sort certain key notes to be sent to a specific midi channel..

I can add this, sounds like a reasonable idea.

That's very good :tu:

if the VST is a freeware

It's not. It's free open-source, point of which is that it can be a collaboration of volunteers who contribute to the codebase - anyone can see the source, edit it, send changes back to me, create their custom version etc etc.

why not to make a payware version of it with such capabilities. It will make a huge benefit for us.

I won't be doing that, I'd much rather keep it open-source. Trust me, you wouldn't benefit from that - I'm a comp-sci student doing this in free time and making a paid version wouldn't magically create more free time for me to work on it.

Honestly, that's the spirit, we learn, gain experience, share and hoping to get rewarded by whichever way... Surely your efforts are getting noticed and being appreciated, and that will lead you to further challenges, which I'm sure will bring you the knowledge you are aiming for...

--------------
My feedback after a deep examining of LibreArp:

* Tested it in FL Studio 20, the 32bit version wasn't fully functional inside the FLS 64 bit host btw. (The GUI for example wasn't able to resize)

* When I added two LibreArp instances, the 1st one caused a sustained notes (stuck notes) and couldn't be muted unless (refresh the VST).

* Relocating the (Red Loop Marker) can make more sense if it can be dragged from the (Scroll area - where the bar numbers are), just to avoid clicking notes by mistake while dragging the marker within the grid region.

* Grid region: Good color theme, really it's inspired by FL Studio piano roll.. I feel an urgent need for velocity and other CC parameters to be added as well :hyper:

My overall evaluation for this arp (as is): 6/10 - once the mentioned planned features added, I think it would easily reach 9/10

Anyhow, I'm grateful to test it, and I believe it will be a unique tool.
Good luck & looking forward to see the upcoming updates...

lobanov wrote:I could be more concrete. How to set up LibreArp in FLStudio without Patcher? I've tried, I've failed.
To send MIDI from one plugin to another (each of which can be an instrument or effect) in FL you pick a MIDI port number (preferably one that's not assigned to any hardware ports in the settings) then go to settings of each plugin and set "MIDI output port" on the source plugin and "MIDI input port" on the destination plugin to the same number.

If you want to send MIDI from the piano-roll to a plugin, you'd ideally just load it as an instrument, but FL will refuse that if the plugin is not a VSTi. In this case the work-around is to add a "MIDI out" generator (one of the built-in ones) and again setup the ports manually (except "MIDI out" has the output port setting directly on it's main editor view).

ps. haven't tried this particular plugin, but that's the general way you can patch MIDI in FL without using patcher

alefunguju wrote:
1. Why have you made LibreArp VST effect? I think it's possible in Juce to make it VSTi. Am I wrong?
There's no particular reason other than that VST is missing something like a MIDI effect category, it only has instrument and (audio) effect. LibreArp doesn't really fit in either, so I just arbitrarily chose one. So far in my testing with multiple DAWs I haven't come across a case where this causes problems, neither has anyone reported any such problems. If it causes problems to you, could you please submit an issue on the GitLab page describing what exactly goes wrong?
In the specific case of FL you can load instruments into effect slots (in the mixer), but loading effects as instruments doesn't work (ie. the host actively refuses this). So if you need to send MIDI to some plugin from the piano roll (or step seq or whatever) and the plugin is not a VSTi, you end up having to either use an extra "MIDI out" device just for routing, or use patcher.

So in the specific case of FL it makes sense to have anything and everything be VSTi whenever it might possibly make sense to load them into the instrument slots. :)

edit: also my old DustArp is a VSTi for this reason and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about that.. so I'm fairly confident it wouldn't cause any problems in any other hosts either

Avast doesn't like this.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Hey, thanks for this, very kind of you that you providing this for free to the community. I do notice it has some early characteristics of my old time favourite step sequencer/arp plugin, which was called Era, unfortanetly though its abandon ware for a couple of years.

Though I think Era definitely can provide you some inspiration for certain features ;)

And on the mac side of things, I never coded in Juce, which is written in C , or C++ I believe? But I do have a mac and I know my way around javascript and what not, so I might be able to help. And I think porting it over is not that difficult, unless you want want to make a AU version of this plugin, which I assume not. Shout me a PM if you need help.

chk071 wrote:Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but, i don't even think a arpeggiator which works as a VST effect will even work in hosts which don't use or allow MIDI effects. All the arpeggiator plugins i know are VSTi's, and have to be set up accordingly (create a new track with an instance of the arpeggiator plugin, use the new track as the input for the to-be arpeggiated instrument, and turn on the monitor option for the to-be arpeggiated track).
Correct, in order for this to work in FL Studio, it needs to be an instrument. Shame as I was looking forward to trying this out. For now, I guess I'll keep using BlueArp.

Avast doesn't like this.
Send it to Avast for an inspection (or whatever they call it), I guess. I know that as the one who uploaded it, I really can't go around saying "it's a false positive" expecting people to trust me as a stranger on the internet but... it's a false positive.
Correct, in order for this to work in FL Studio, it needs to be an instrument. Shame as I was looking forward to trying this out. For now, I guess I'll keep using BlueArp.
For now, the officially supported setup is with Patcher, as described in the user guide.
I will change the plugin to VSTi for the next release.

To phreaque: Your problems with the plugin (stuck notes and inability to resize) are very strange to me... I'll look into it but can't make promises for now as I haven't encountered them myself.

Also, for anyone encountering any bugs, I would appreciate it if you could submit them as issues in the issue tracker on GitLab so that I have them all in one place and don't overlook any - thank you.

alefunguju wrote:
Avast doesn't like this.
Send it to Avast for an inspection (or whatever they call it), I guess. I know that as the one who uploaded it, I really can't go around saying "it's a false positive" expecting people to trust me as a stranger on the internet but... it's a false positive.
I uploaded it to www.virustotal.com. None of the scanners detected it, so, yeah, it definitely IS a false positive.

alefunguju wrote:
Avast doesn't like this.
For now, the officially supported setup is with Patcher, as described in the user guide.
I will change the plugin to VSTi for the next release.

To phreaque: Your problems with the plugin (stuck notes and inability to resize) are very strange to me... I'll look into it but can't make promises for now as I haven't encountered them myself.

Also, for anyone encountering any bugs, I would appreciate it if you could submit them as issues in the issue tracker on GitLab so that I have them all in one place and don't overlook any - thank you.
Thank you alefunguju.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Hi, after 3 years I have finally released LibreArp 2.0, with many bugs fixed, prettier GUI and a few new QoL features. Here is a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3iqXnu_xs0

alefunguju wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 am Hi, after 3 years I have finally released LibreArp 2.0, with many bugs fixed, prettier GUI and a few new QoL features. Here is a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3iqXnu_xs0
Amazing! Thank you! :clap:

Thanks for sharing! Nice update.

alefunguju wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 am Hi, after 3 years I have finally released LibreArp 2.0, with many bugs fixed, prettier GUI and a few new QoL features. Here is a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3iqXnu_xs0
Can you please add time shift/offset like randarp has so that this can be used with hardware synths?

siwo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:27 am Can you please add time shift/offset like randarp has so that this can be used with hardware synths?
Could you please elaborate on what exactly such an option should do? If you are talking about latency compensation, shouldn't that be handled by the DAW (e.g. Bitwig Studio has a built-in Time Shift device that could be used in tandem with LibreArp), rather than individual VSTs?

alefunguju wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:38 am Could you please elaborate on what exactly such an option should do? If you are talking about latency compensation, shouldn't that be handled by the DAW (e.g. Bitwig Studio has a built-in Time Shift device that could be used in tandem with LibreArp), rather than individual VSTs?
I use Reaper's playback time offset but every arp I have tried including this one seems to ignore it and just syncs to the bar so the audio is delayed.

Return to “Effects”