Behring suing forum users

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

farlukar wrote:Anyway, this was most timely. I was on the market for a new audio interface, considered one of theirs but bought an M-Audio one instead.

KvR may not be as high-profile as GS, but I hope you're reading this Uli :party:
Yeah, I was doing my due diligence regarding an audio interface, one of them was Behringer, and now it's not.

Er. Behringer.

SLiC wrote:I didn’t not see why forums are different from newspapers or any other media, if it is proven that you are yelling lies about someone publicly with a resulting damage to their reputation then you are at fault and it should be possible to make those people stop via legal methods.

I don’t have particularly strong feelings either way about what B are doing with hardware clones, the software vendors on this site have been doing it with software (including modelling the circuit diagram at component level...this is cloning to software) if the circuit has been been legally protected then it’s public domain, it can only be one or the other.

As for the quality of B products, I have an X32 (which has had more and better free updates than any other hardware product I have ever owned) and a Deepmind 12. The quality is very good, I think it is on all recent products.
Sure, sue the person making the comments, but in this case they sued the employer of the person even though they were not acting as an offical of the company. Imagine having to be responsible for what everyone that worked for you said? Ridiculous. That’s why Behringer lost. Of course, they knew they’d loose, but they sued anyway because they’ve got deep pockets and DSI, a much smaller operation, would get hurt by it.

Also, Uli is also on Gearslutz and he was able to voice his side of things. It was clearly two people who thought something went down differently. I’m not even sure who was correct, but if you read Uli talking about this “parallel development” of the Aphex Exciter clone they made, he sounds totally full of sh!t.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

maschinelf wrote:If these reports are true, then I don't know what they're thinking. They deservedly earned goodwill by releasing some interesting and affordable products lately, and shook things up in the synth market. It would be far more productive to let the quality of their products speak for itself. Instead, something like this could just end up negating that goodwill.
Exactly. I picked up a Deepmind 12 based on its own merits. I applauded them for coming up with a new synth, even though it took inspiration from the past. That’s great. I was not really interested in their clones, as for me I’d rather they took those designs farther. Like the Neutron does.

However, what I’ve found is this. When Behringer sets out on their own to blaze new trails... they kind of suck. The Deepmind 12 is a C+ analog synth with an A digital effects section. When you get right down to it, its PWM sounded terrible and its filter got really screamy in a bad way when you turned up the resonance. You can still get a lot of great sounds out of it, but I did some a/b comparisons with just the Roland Juno 106 plugin and the plugin sounded worlds better. I was excited about the Neutron too. It seemed perfect for my needs (marry a small semi modular to a Pro 2) but after pouring though all the demos, it was clear to me that it had non of the juice the Model D has. It just sounded kind of lifeless to me.

Anyway, all of that is opinion, of course. I’m sure people will do great things with either synth, but my point is more that they should spend more time making their instruments amazing and less time worrying about what people say about them on the internet. If they lose the countersuit (for DSI’s legal fees, and I hope they do) they’ll have lost money that could have gone into improving their future products but instead was squandered on generating bad will.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
maschinelf wrote:If these reports are true, then I don't know what they're thinking. They deservedly earned goodwill by releasing some interesting and affordable products lately, and shook things up in the synth market. It would be far more productive to let the quality of their products speak for itself. Instead, something like this could just end up negating that goodwill.
Exactly. I picked up a Deepmind 12 based on its own merits. I applauded them for coming up with a new synth, even though it took inspiration from the past. That’s great. I was not really interested in their clones, as for me I’d rather they took those designs farther. Like the Neutron does.

However, what I’ve found is this. When Behringer sets out on their own to blaze new trails... they kind of suck. The Deepmind 12 is a C+ analog synth with an A digital effects section. When you get right down to it, its PWM sounded terrible and its filter got really screamy in a bad way when you turned up the resonance. You can still get a lot of great sounds out of it, but I did some a/b comparisons with just the Roland Juno 106 plugin and the plugin sounded worlds better. I was excited about the Neutron too. It seemed perfect for my needs (marry a small semi modular to a Pro 2) but after pouring though all the demos, it was clear to me that it had non of the juice the Model D has. It just sounded kind of lifeless to me.

Anyway, all of that is opinion, of course. I’m sure people will do great things with either synth, but my point is more that they should spend more time making their instruments amazing and less time worrying about what people say about them on the internet. If they lose the countersuit (for DSI’s legal fees, and I hope they do) they’ll have lost money that could have gone into improving their future products but instead was squandered on generating bad will.
Behringer failed on every single issue they argued in their defamation cause of action, as well as their motion to strike DSI’s anti-SLAPP motion. Key is that the judge didn’t find any of the comments to be false - they were all opinions in a public forum, protect under consumer privilege, and not false to boot.

I would be surprised if DSI does not win their motion for attorneys fees.

GS is now completely owned by a certain company, just been told by a mod that i will be banned for pointing out posts that break their own forum rules 'if they are defending a certain company' !!!

Absolutely insane, this conpany is out buying up any bad press and crushing it :(
Duh

Let me guess... the ban was absolutely unrighteous, and you did nothing wrong, and it's all a big conscpiracy against you? Oh, wait, you already pointed all that out.

Wonder when the other thousands of Gearslutz members will land here, and complain about the unbelievable conditions there. Or will they?

Ultimately this is all BS forum nonsense.
When Behringer bring out a CS80 clone, no one will give a sh!t about this as we're pretending to be Vangelis on our $699 purchases.

I'd never pretend to be Vangelis. :D

chk071 wrote:I'd never pretend to be Vangelis. :D
Me neither, and I will never buy anything from Behringer.

Turns out this was fake news as well. Lots of that going around these days it would seem.

jupiter8 wrote:Turns out this was fake news as well. Lots of that going around these days it would seem.
Is this one fake too? https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=41955

thecontrolcentre wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:Turns out this was fake news as well. Lots of that going around these days it would seem.
Don't think so.

However Behringer is NOT suing forum users. That is a misunderstanding of legalese mumbo-jumbo.

jupiter8 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Don't think so.

However Behringer is NOT suing forum users. That is a misunderstanding of legalese mumbo-jumbo.
It's obvious it's Emil von Behring the OP is talking about, he is suing forum members from his grave. He discovered a diphtheria antitoxin, which some forum members now are copying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_von_Behring
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

woggle wrote:
farlukar wrote: Statement of fact is not defamation.
depends on the jurisdiction
Depends on the fact.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”