2018_13-001 ...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote:R2D2 live at the Acropolis :party:
thanks for listening , and taking the time to comment ...
based on what i've seen of your reviews , in the cafe , i'll posit the mix
was acceptable ...

wagtunes wrote: ... Describing music, for me, beyond terms like beautiful, exciting, dull, boring or whatever, is extremely hard, especially when trying to critique abstract or complex pieces of music. And with really odd sounding pieces, or at least pieces that you have trouble relating to because you've heard so few pieces like them, what can you say other than I liked it or I didn't like it? Not very useful to the composer.

Ultimately, isn't that what we're trying to do here? Be helpful to the people making these creations? I mean they're not posting these things for their health. At least I don't think they are. I think they'd like to get some kind of helpful feedback. I liked it, didn't like it, isn't very helpful.

... With this track, I'm at a total loss. It's just way over my head artistically.
sitting at the workstation not very healthy physically , but absolutely vital for my
mental well being ... i think there are more than a few of us here that would concur ...

as to feedback , i comment on about 10% of what i listen to , in the cafe ...
if i can find something positive , or at least encouraging to say , i do so ...
if i can offer a bit of technical advice , i do ...
sometimes , i'm just cryptic ...

telling someone you enjoyed listening , or liked their piece can be enough ...
some people stick around , and interact , and you start to get a sense of them ...
this will open new avenues of commentary ...

jancivil wrote:It looks like teh crow was talking about their mix ideas. It isn't my track so the point for me was to find agreement and yes, to say I like it. And some commentary just for filler. ...
this , precisely ... i don't always ask ...
i'm trying some new approaches with this project ...

jancivil wrote:I will say this seriously, though, someone makes something this bold they probably are not quite needing the kind of approbation some definitely do. This goes back to the Silke controversy/thread where we found some seem to believe everybody posts here for the same reason, to get a critique.
this , as well ...

Well, the crunching paper thing was very upfront in my cans. Can't know if that's exactly as you want it, or no.
It's not harsh, nothing harsh, no mud.

wagtunes wrote: I grew up during an era when you played something for somebody and they said something about it. There was some kind of feedback, even if it was just one word like "cool."
I got all sorts of approval from my peers. In fact, afaic I was quite overrated (as a guitarist) in town as a whole. But by the time that was a thing for me, my parents did not, in all probability get what I was doing. I'll never forget, the singer I was working with constantly in my late teens (I was not writing, but arranging, I made the raw acoustic guitar and vocals basis sound like something) and I had finished something in the studio, our second or third effort, original prog rock; and my father swung by and so we played him the tape. More or less the one word response 'Groovy!'. Which signaled he had no idea what we were doing but wanted to be positive.

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I grew up during an era when you played something for somebody and they said something about it. There was some kind of feedback, even if it was just one word like "cool."
I got all sorts of approval from my peers. In fact, afaic I was quite overrated (as a guitarist) in town as a whole. But by the time that was a thing for me, my parents did not, in all probability get what I was doing. I'll never forget, the singer I was working with constantly in my late teens (I was not writing, but arranging, I made the raw acoustic guitar and vocals basis sound like something) and I had finished something in the studio, our second or third effort, original prog rock; and my father swung by and so we played him the tape. More or less the one word response 'Groovy!'. Which signaled he had no idea what we were doing but wanted to be positive.
Well, I didn't have that problem with my mother. She was totally honest about my work. When I was doing alternative experimental stuff early on, which was basically a loop played over and over, she'd say to me "Steven, it's time to get off the merry-go-round." I knew I could always go to mom for the truth. So when I played for her "And The Angels Sing" and she said "This song is touched by God" I knew I had something. I ended up getting a song contract with a pretty good publisher and the song almost got recorded by Crystal Gale making her comeback. That was as close as I ever got to any kind of success. But I only did because mom recognized something that I myself couldn't

Of course mom was also a musician with a very open mind.

wagtunes wrote:
jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I mean they're not posting these things for their health.
I am. I mean, sometimes like originally with Nuages 1, I knew it was dodgy and it was dodgier than I knew! There was clipping, one said. I knew it was distorted. It still is! Clipping in the one spot was true. It was better off not clipped but the 'the highs are pushing the edge of discomfort' is subjective. Once I ultimately thought it wasn't nearly enough highs regardless of seeing that.

Describing music is pretty useless if you ask me. So, and this can be just me, I don't critique someone else's composition. It's none of my business. If I think it simply is not good on this count, I'm not likely to remark on it.
Who cares what I think. So, in rare cases there's a question. And I might f**k that up too!
Well, then what exactly IS the point of all this?
Attention mate, I think that's what it's mostly about. Of course, expect a lot of denial here, but that's what I see. I think that there is some genuine interest in mixing advice and some misguided attempts to seek opinion from KVR that it is not qualified, generally, to give, e.g. underground dance music, but beyond that, I think that the point is to get statistically insignificant attention.

experimental.crow wrote:
jancivil wrote: I would probably cut some boom off the later appearing so-called future phone tones.
a good call , i'm thinking ...
aalto really can cut through a mix
My hearing may be more sensitive than average in this range, not sure. But I think you know where I mean.

wagtunes wrote:I see you went to the vurt school of music. LOL.
ftfy. plus, thanks for the compliment 8)

as ever, the sound pallet/palette ? is diverse enough to be jarring, but the mix brings them all together in one space to make it calming.
the perfect marriage of two worlds colliding 8)

look forward to further pieces from the project!

vurt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I see you went to the vurt school of music. LOL.
ftfy. plus, thanks for the compliment 8)

as ever, the sound pallet/palette ? is diverse enough to be jarring, but the mix brings them all together in one space to make it calming.
the perfect marriage of two worlds colliding 8)

look forward to further pieces from the project!
thank you , john ...
hope you're well ( barring the heat issue ) ...

yeah, all good here, aside from the heat and a little hayfever.
although, im not helping the hayfever any, when purposefully inhaling certain pollens :o

hope you're all good too 8)
as well as can be :tu:

I loved the spacey ambient backing. Simply gorgeous.

The scratchy stuff was OK and the aggressive bloops "harshed my mellow, man" to use Shaun Ryder terminology.

I think the mix is clear and quite good. :tu:

Frantz wrote:I loved the spacey ambient backing. Simply gorgeous.

The scratchy stuff was OK and the aggressive bloops "harshed my mellow, man" to use Shaun Ryder terminology.

I think the mix is clear and quite good. :tu:
thank you ...
i appreciate your feedback , and welcome your mix assessment ...

I understand the YT and SC fascination, its so ez for the masses, DL, flac, nice...

Start transmission
impression commencing,
The movement, its like entering a space in time that is restricted to most oxygen breathing mortals, I can hear the synthetic creations you sent to transcribe the location, sending the information to the listener and detailing in terms of sonic chemistry the width and breadth of the surrounding scene. The atmosphere appears to be quite a rich mix in terms of understanding, at higher volumes there are occasionally buffers which although a bit pained still hold the necessary signals, adding weight to the overall gathering of data.
Shame the mission was briefer than it could or dare I say, should have been.
From your writings left in the booth, before you retired to you laboratory, I gather this was a test run, so my hope is for a longer mission that offers us oxygen types a better and broader map of this locality.
End transmission.......
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

John le Carré is one of the few authors whose books I revisit.

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to this loud, but at moderate volume the mix sounds good to me. It's a very restful piece too.

I think I jumped on the modem bandwagon in the early '90s - 7.2K iirc. Those were the days. It used to beat using a Telex.

Good work :)

Eauson wrote:... DL, flac, nice...

I gather this was a test run, so my hope is for a longer mission that offers us oxygen types a better and broader map of this locality.
End transmission.......
liking what i'm getting w/ flac ...
seems to 'listen' better ...
comfortable w/ this length , (+/-) ...

thank you for listening and commenting ...

seismic1 wrote:John le Carré is one of the few authors whose books I revisit.

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to this loud, but at moderate volume the mix sounds good to me. It's a very restful piece too.

I think I jumped on the modem bandwagon in the early '90s - 7.2K iirc. Those were the days. It used to beat using a Telex.

Good work :)
thank you ...
always can count on your feedback ...
i'm thinking dibs on " beatTelex " ...

Return to “Music Cafe”