Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey KVR, long time no see :)

Just thought I would share with you guys my latest discovery in guitar amp simulation, Waves PRS SuperModels.

These ampsims are a beast. Anything you throw at them sound gorgeous with little to no tweaking.

After having tried several amp sims during the last 15 years, I settled pretty much on S-Gear (big fan), TH3 and Revalver as my goto virtual amps, and I tried every single simulation pretty much that came out.

But after having tried the PRS Archon simulation, I am ready to dump all other ampsims (at least for amplification, might keep the TH3 and Revalver for effects).
Combined with a single coil, this amp cleans are so creamy you could melt, yet can do crunch and vintage pretty well. I am in love :)

Now mind you I don't do heavy nor high-gain, so I can only judge it's performance based on my style of playing and my needs, but for 49$, to me it is a steal.

Havn't used ampsims since Kemper came out but after listening to PRS Supermodels they do sound much better than other ampsims. Oh, and forget Waves old ampsims. They sucked really bad when they came out against other ampsims,commercial or free. :lol:

Daimonicon wrote:Havn't used ampsims since Kemper came out but after listening to PRS Supermodels they do sound much better than other ampsims. Oh, and forget Waves old ampsims. They sucked really bad when they came out against other ampsims,commercial or free. :lol:
Agreed. The old GTR was definitely sub-par. Nothing to do with the new sims.

I completely disagree - while I as well think the Supermodels are great, I also quite GTR and have no problems at all to get a good sound out of them.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Yeah Gtr 3 is great for clean and fx

I am a huge fan of Waves products, but in my opinion, I'm sorry to say overall the PRS Super Models pretty much suck, I own them, one of the few plugs in recent memory that I have had buyers remorse over, but they only cost me $29, so no real biggy. Comparing to other amp sims I have, and I own pretty much everything in the software realm, I really don't think much of them at all. PRS SM's don't even come close to my go to Amp Sims, I can't actually ever see me wanting to even try and use them. But that's just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong, and it is just that . . . an opinion.
Say NO to CLAP!

If I had i7 8700 cpu wouldnt be issue and would be fine but using bx amps a lot lately. I like Kuassa, Fender 2 A4, Sgear and some Bias amps. If cpu comes down and $29 again maybe

jinotsuh wrote:I am a huge fan of Waves products, but in my opinion, I'm sorry to say overall the PRS Super Models pretty much suck, I own them, one of the few plugs in recent memory that I have had buyers remorse over, but they only cost me $29, so no real biggy. Comparing to other amp sims I have, and I own pretty much everything in the software realm, I really don't think much of them at all. PRS SM's don't even come close to my go to Amp Sims, I can't actually ever see me wanting to even try and use them. But that's just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong, and it is just that . . . an opinion.
Out of curiosity, which Supermodel amp do you own?

jens wrote:I completely disagree - while I as well think the Supermodels are great, I also quite GTR and have no problems at all to get a good sound out of them.
Yeah I do quite like the old GTR too, I'll use them along side my Brainworx amps, the few IK ones I have or even Logic's own. While GTR can do with an overhaul, it is still quite capable.

Although the PRS Supermodels are a breath of fresh air.

People have got to be careful when comparing amp sims against amp sims. No two amps sound alike, the more vintage they are the more they deviate. Mics, the recording space, the recording gear are another factor too.

Check this out for a real life example...
https://youtu.be/HY3LB_e-8mM?t=6m57s

Can someone explain to me that need of buffered guitar signal input with passive pickups?

what do i need?

do i need a buffered stomp box

or will a di box also work?

can i achieve the same thing by using some vst putting it i chain before the waves psr supermodels?
in that case wich one

thanks

Normally just a hi-z interface input should do (1 Mohm), or an active di box (not a passive one). The buffered pedal suggestion is just for extra assurance I guess, in case the interface's input impedance isn't up to par.

If the guitar gets recorded with the wrong input impedance it will result in muffling the tone (loss of highs), and any plugin processing to try and correct it will just bring up the noise.

Bouroki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm Normally just a hi-z interface input should do (1 Mohm), or an active di box (not a passive one). The buffered pedal suggestion is just for extra assurance I guess, in case the interface's input impedance isn't up to par.

If the guitar gets recorded with the wrong input impedance it will result in muffling the tone (loss of highs), and any plugin processing to try and correct it will just bring up the noise.

Waves vs anything I own loses. Just sayin and not hatin

I saw the Glenn Fricker video with the blind shootout and subsequent vote between the Waves Archon, Fortin Nameless, something else I can't remember and a real amp, where it was revealed that the Waves Archon was the most popular. But when I tried it, it just didn't float my boat, and even the mighty Glenn Fricker couldn't persuade me otherwise. However, I wonder if it's down to the IRs that the Archon uses - I tried them in Recabinet with another ampsim and thought they sounded muffled and indistinct, so perhaps I should try the Archon again with better IRs.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Bouroki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm Normally just a hi-z interface input should do (1 Mohm), or an active di box (not a passive one). The buffered pedal suggestion is just for extra assurance I guess, in case the interface's input impedance isn't up to par.

This is one possible problem. The other thing I've heard a lot, that you need to try PRS with IRs other than stock ones (makes big difference).
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Return to “Effects”