8dio Adagietto?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Despite the other thread concerning 8dio, I am considering picking this up on the flash sale. Does anyone here have it, and, if so, what are your thoughts about it? I have Kirk Hunter Diamond, Garritan Personal Orchestra, and Miroslav I - would Adagietto be significantly better than the strings in my current libraries?

Thanks for your thoughts!

No.
I purchased it, it may complement your ensemble arrangements adagio parts.
$ 50 is the maximum I would pay for it, compairing to e.g. the KH Diamond price lately.

I love the tone of these strings, though there are some timing problems and some noises in some of the samples and it is a very specific type of library. IMO the sound of these strings is a significant step up from Hunter, Diamond or Miro.

The 8dio thread seems to be more of a personal vendetta than anything else. 8dio had actually offered the OP to refund the purchase on a public forum. But he continues to claim that they would not refund and rambles on. So, the concern has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I have the entire Adagio series as well as the Anthology library and about 2 dozen other 8dio products. I'm actually what they call a V8P member, which allows me to buy special high end libraries that are not for general sale. I always felt that the 8dio libraries are at the same level as the Spitfire ones. But there are, of course, variations in quality. 8dio is pumping out products at a much faster pace then most other developers and that sometimes shows imho.

The Adagietto library is a really good deal at 48$. I agree in that it is a significant step up from Kirk Hunter, IK Multimedia and the likes. The problem arises when you try to play extremely fast obstinate strings. There is a bit of randomness in the attack that is a result of the Kontakt script and not the samples themselves. But ostinato strings at extremely high speed is something many libraries struggle with. Not something I would be terribly concerned about, especially not at 48$. If you want to go Hans Zimmer style you probably need to put down some more serious cash for a library that is designed for that.

There is a "speed knob" in Adagietto which allows you to fine tune the attack and that helps wit the randomness at high speeds. And I also found that if I freeze a track, the randomness disappears. But that was just my impression. At the speeds I tested it, the problem was barely noticable and I might just have tricked myself into believing that the freeze took care of it. If you play the library at regular, symphonic speed the problem does not show at all.

8dio follows a slightly annoying licensing strategy. They just watermark their products and, as a result, need to be vigilant when it comes to pirated copies. The watermarking strategy does not allow them to disable a license once it is issued. So they follow an extremely strict no resale/no return policy. And they monitor every warez forum, take any pirated copy they find offline, and disable the accounts of anybody whose libraries were shared. That strategy is causing some people a lot of grief, especially when their libraries end up being torrented without their own fault.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

FYI over 2 weeks ago 8DIO offered a discount against the cost of ostinato ( as they said it would be more suited)

$119 vs $129

Several emails and live chats later nothing.

Saying something in a public post is one thing, honouring it is another.

mgw38 wrote:The 8dio thread seems to be more of a personal vendetta than anything else. 8dio had actually offered the OP to refund the purchase on a public forum. But he continues to claim that they would not refund and rambles on. So, the concern has to be taken with a grain of salt.

A thread on this sale. There are mixed emotions.
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... -48.72714/

As a low level freebie dev I've learned to poke around inside instruments probably more than most. When I look at the samples I do see inconsistencies and generally more 'dead space' in front of notes in 8Dio products than others. To be fair I tend to cut too tight when I do cut as I want quick response on instruments predominately designed for entry level users. However even given this is a much more advanced set of instruments, I would personally put them a cut below Spitfire and OT but above mid-tier, I think the samples are cut too loosely. Occasionally I've found samples that have truly ludicrous start times, but they are rare, and some samples do have extraneous noise, but again these are rare. Finally there are volume inconsistencies which aren't deal breakers, but can be annoying.

Yet offsetting these issues are in my mind and too my ear a level of tone that is very good. On say a scale of 1-10, I would suggest as a rule Spitfire/OT are a 9, 8Dio is an 8 and Miro, GPO & Hunter are say in the 2 to 4 range.

Good info! :tu:

Goof info? :ud:

Again, trimmed off dead space at the start of notes, it’s the round robins that are the issue with the shorts. Hacking groups and copy paste etc to max 8 inproves the issue.

But yet again why should the user have fix this ? And why shouldn’t 8DIO have fixed this already.
bigcat1969 wrote:A thread on this sale. There are mixed emotions.
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... -48.72714/

As a low level freebie dev I've learned to poke around inside instruments probably more than most. When I look at the samples I do see inconsistencies and generally more 'dead space' in front of notes in 8Dio products than others. To be fair I tend to cut too tight when I do cut as I want quick response on instruments predominately designed for entry level users. However even given this is a much more advanced set of instruments, I would personally put them a cut below Spitfire and OT but above mid-tier, I think the samples are cut too loosely. Occasionally I've found samples that have truly ludicrous start times, but they are rare, and some samples do have extraneous noise, but again these are rare. Finally there are volume inconsistencies which aren't deal breakers, but can be annoying.

Yet offsetting these issues are in my mind and too my ear a level of tone that is very good. On say a scale of 1-10, I would suggest as a rule Spitfire/OT are a 9, 8Dio is an 8 and Miro, GPO & Hunter are say in the 2 to 4 range.
Last edited by topaz on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topaz wrote:But yet again why should the user have fix this ? And why shouldn’t 8DIO have fixed this already.
Even you have to admit that by now this is no longer a complaint, it is an obsession. If I would be aggravated like that for things like that I would continuously rotate and explode multiple times a day. Relax. It is a library we are talking about.

So I would have to ask why you are so obsessed with protecting such a flawed library, I paid $129 and have a right to complain.

My suggestion if if you don’t like that just ignore my posts, or better still mute me.

mgw38 wrote:
Even you have to admit that by now this is no longer a complaint, it is an obsession. If I would be aggravated like that for things like that I would continuously rotate and explode multiple times a day. Relax. It is a library we are talking about.

And actually I wasn’t even addressing you so who really needs to chill. :hihi:

mgw38 wrote: Even you have to admit that by now this is no longer a complaint, it is an obsession. If I would be aggravated like that for things like that I would continuously rotate and explode multiple times a day. Relax. It is a library we are talking about.

topaz wrote:So I would have to ask why you are so obsessed with protecting such a flawed library, I paid $129 and have a right to complain.

My suggestion if if you don’t like that just ignore my posts, or better still mute me.

mgw38 wrote:
I, who haven´t followed this "8dio drama", have just purchased the library and given the first try for it, am not awere of the episode, what is the company´s reply for this issue?

Render as audio and line up sloppy timing.

topaz wrote:So I would have to ask why you are so obsessed with protecting such a flawed library, I paid $129 and have a right to complain.
To be honest, at this point I am just screwing with you. ;)

Complaining is one thing, but you have been rambling over dozens of pages on multiple sites for two weeks now. There is a moment where you need to let it go.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”