Robo Bat - futuristic Electronic track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have a listen to my latest track:

https://hearthis.at/hillside-ws/robo-bat/

:phones: :phones: :phones:
Thanks for commenting, always appreciated 8)

Greetings
HM

nice!

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.5

Comments: Trippin' on this one. Really like the groove here. Musically a little corny but it works. Vocals not so much. Sampled, right? Seem like they were just thrown in. Second vocal works better than first one. Love the leads on this thing. Really funky.

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.5

Comments: Trippin' on this one. Really like the groove here. Musically a little corny but it works. Vocals not so much. Sampled, right? Seem like they were just thrown in. Second vocal works better than first one. Love the leads on this thing. Really funky.
LOL, the vocals are great, of course they're sampled. This isn't your thing man.

@ghetto

LMAO. You crack me up my friend.

I actually had to listen to the track again before I responded to you. Having done that, let me respond.

Not my thing? 90% of the stuff on this forum isn't my thing. However, it doesn't stop me from listening to it and, in many cases, enjoying it. Now, could I tell you what sub genre of EDM this track was? No, of course not. Could I do something like this if I wanted to? With enough study of the genre and listening to enough examples, yeah, I probably could. I'm actually a decent copier of styles. That's why I've been able to do so many different kinds of music over the years.

Finally, even though I'm 60 years old, I'm not as uncool as you think I am. I don't sit around listening to Glenn Miller all day. I've enjoyed everything from Carpenters to Death Metal. I actually have quite a diverse musical experience and I kind of pride myself on that.

Point is, I'm not exactly sure I had to "get" this track in order to listen to it and appreciate it on my own terms and in my own way. After all, if you look at my response, I actually enjoyed it.

@Eauson

I appreciate you coming to my defense, but ghetto and I go back a long way. In fact, he's actually helped me a lot with so many things I can't even begin to tell you. If I have a question about something, he is one of the first people I will come to because I know he'll give it to me straight. He's the one who got me to give Reaktor 6 a fair chance and I'm so glad I did. It's really quite amazing but it is a black hole that you can get lost in.

Finally, to the OP, I really did enjoy your track. I may not "get it" but it had me tapping my foot and it made me smile. To me, that's all that matters. I hope you didn't mind my comments even though this genre isn't something I normally listen to. I wanted to provide some feedback so you didn't feel like I so often feel around here when I post a track and all I hear is the wind. I don't get a lot of comments and I know what that's like. It isn't a lot of fun.

Anyway, I've said my peace. Ghetto, it's all good. No offense taken.

There's a lot of stuff in this world that I don't get.

Cool track. Nice, funky groove, well produced. Good stuff. :)

thecontrolcentre wrote:Cool track. Nice, funky groove, well produced. Good stuff. :)
Thank you very much :)

oh yeah, this gets the coveted butthead "cool" label :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hfQbL4Tk8
cool bass, well composed, good sample manipulation and top production
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wagtunes wrote:@ghetto

I actually had to listen to the track again before I responded to you. Having done that, let me respond.

Not my thing? 90% of the stuff on this forum isn't my thing. However, it doesn't stop me from listening to it and, in many cases, enjoying it. Now, could I tell you what sub genre of EDM this track was? No, of course not. Could I do something like this if I wanted to? With enough study of the genre and listening to enough examples, yeah, I probably could. I'm actually a decent copier of styles. That's why I've been able to do so many different kinds of music over the years.
No disagreement, but, you completely missed the point on the "vocals." They're supposed to sound just like that.

I see that the rest of the nonsense has been mod-deleted, good, that should happen more often. However, the other critic missed my assessment of his review. I think that he thought that said "yeah right," I did not, I said "yeah, Right!?!" IIRC. Important point being that I was agreeing with is assessment that this has a nice retro feel to it and was only taking him to task for shit-bombing a thread in the cafe without even listening to the track. Had he done that, he would have realized that your comments regarding the "vocals," indeed, missed the point. Tracks in the 90s did vocals like this with hardware samplers with limited memory and often in very small low budget home studios. What you think sounds "tacked on", is the style.

Don't take offense, but, I don't think that you could successfully copy DJ music any more than I could successfully copy an orchestral piece. Sure, it might sound similar to you (me), but experts would call it out immediately. It's not dissimilar from the untrained trying to mimic rap music, it's not as easy as you think to create a legitimate work in the art. You don't know what's important to music like this because you haven't experienced it in its proper context. I'm not saying that you're "uncool," I'm just stating a fact, you are not now and nor have you ever been a part of "the scene."

These records should be critiqued from that point of view. Personally, if you aren't an underground DJ, I don't care what you think about a DJ track musically. You will more often be wrong than right. Often you sound as naive as someone saying that an orchestral score has, e.g., "too many notes."

@OP I really like the retro flavor of this track. I think that it could be a bit more DJ friendly, this feels like the "radio edit." It's definitely fun and catchy though!

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:@ghetto

No disagreement, but, you completely missed the point on the "vocals." They're supposed to sound just like that.

I see that the rest of the nonsense has been mod-deleted, good, that should happen more often. However, the other critic missed my assessment of his review. I think that he thought that said "yeah right," I did not, I said "yeah, Right!?!" IIRC. Important point being that I was agreeing with is assessment that this has a nice retro feel to it and was only taking him to task for shit-bombing a thread in the cafe without even listening to the track. Had he done that, he would have realized that your comments regarding the "vocals," indeed, missed the point. Tracks in the 90s did vocals like this with hardware samplers with limited memory and often in very small low budget home studios. What you think sounds "tacked on", is the style.

Don't take offense, but, I don't think that you could successfully copy DJ music any more than I could successfully copy an orchestral piece. Sure, it might sound similar to you (me), but experts would call it out immediately. It's not dissimilar from the untrained trying to mimic rap music, it's not as easy as you think to create a legitimate work in the art. You don't know what's important to music like this because you haven't experienced it in its proper context. I'm not saying that you're "uncool," I'm just stating a fact, you are not now and nor have you ever been a part of "the scene."

These records should be critiqued from that point of view. Personally, if you aren't an underground DJ, I don't care what you think about a DJ track musically. You will more often be wrong than right. Often you sound as naive as someone saying that an orchestral score has, e.g., "too many notes."

@OP I really like the retro flavor of this track. I think that it could be a bit more DJ friendly, this feels like the "radio edit." It's definitely fun and catchy though!
I get what you're saying. This is the way it's supposed to sound. Thing is, when people post their music, they don't say specifically what it's supposed to be or even give an example of what they're emulating. So more times than not, if something is a "DJ track" or whatever it is, I'm not going to know and therefor have to evaluate it based on my own frame of reference.

If somebody were to simply post "This is a DJ track and if you aren't into the DJ scene please don't comment on it" I'd stay away from the thread. But not having that info, I listen to the track and evaluate it from a generic frame of reference. I mean if I do an orchestral piece and somebody who doesn't like orchestral music listens to it and says "It has too many notes for me" oh well, it is what it is. I"m not going to get all bent out of shape over it. I'll take the comment from whence it came and move on. Now, if Hans Zimmer were to come here and critique my orchestral piece, trust me, I'd hang on his every word.

Coming to this sub forum has probably been one of the best things I could have done. It has exposed me to a lot of music that I wouldn't normally listen to. And that can't be a bad thing.

And for the record, I don't expect anybody here to take anything I say seriously as far as a critique goes of their work. I mean who the hell am I? I'm a total nobody. My opinion isn't worth the html code it took to paste it here. So whether I like or don't like a piece of work, that opinion shouldn't matter to that person one iota.

wagtunes wrote: I get what you're saying. This is the way it's supposed to sound. Thing is, when people post their music, they don't say specifically what it's supposed to be or even give an example of what they're emulating. So more times than not, if something is a "DJ track" or whatever it is, I'm not going to know and therefor have to evaluate it based on my own frame of reference.
Yep, but because you don't know, you are going to get some of it wrong. That's all that I'm saying. If you were a part of the underground scene you WOULD immediately know. In essence, that's training that you, and frankly a lot of people on KVR, lack.

Truth is, I think that a lot of people post here because they don't know better. This is a terrible place to get good feedback on DJ music.

Hey Htcnext2,
Hopefully I won't damage this thread too.

Back to the task at hand, evaluating this superb reinterpretation of a fantastique genre

So, my only initial suggestion is on the snare, seems a bit thin somewhat listless, too much verb,
The snare was everything, to me at least, this set the track up and offered the bouncy patch to play in :) :evil: :love:

Overall 9.9999

:clap: :tu:
Last edited by Eauson on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

layzer wrote:oh yeah, this gets the coveted butthead "cool" label :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hfQbL4Tk8
cool bass, well composed, good sample manipulation and top production
Well, thanks a lot! :o

You are always coming up with different and surprising things. This has a lot of cool and interesting sounds jammed into this short track. Fun and enjoyable even if it is mildly disjointed. Another gem from htcnext2. :tu:

Frantz wrote:You are always coming up with different and surprising things. This has a lot of cool and interesting sounds jammed into this short track. Fun and enjoyable even if it is mildly disjointed. Another gem from htcnext2. :tu:
Thanks for listening and commenting :)

Return to “Music Cafe”