Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

adamtrance wrote:I have sent out a newsletter with a new version of Viper which fixes the crashes people had with the 64 bit and large projects. Please make sure you use that version!
Heard so much good things, watched the trailer, was temped to surrender my bean counter resistance and wanna buy it… Then I realised: not available for Mackies! :dog:

Lots of clicks in Studio One. Especially on pads (low CPU load and regardless on polyphony).

Roman Wisniak wrote:Lots of clicks in Studio One. Especially on pads (low CPU load and regardless on polyphony).
Not having the same issue in Studio One v4 (64-bit), works fine here.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:
Roman Wisniak wrote:Lots of clicks in Studio One. Especially on pads (low CPU load and regardless on polyphony).
Not having the same issue in Studio One v4 (64-bit), works fine here.
Yeah, seems like latency is the cause for clicks here. When using 128 samples = no clicks. I have strong Xeon CPU so using all the time 64 samples of latency.
Anyway it's strange because CPU utilization is low.

Just wondering, but, what do you need 64 samples latency for?

chk071 wrote:Just wondering, but, what do you need 64 samples latency for?
Less roundtrip latency (i am guessing). For example all UAD plugins have double buffer latency. So if you have ASIO Set to 64 samples then UAD is 128 samples. Stacking them up can pile up latency across session obviously. This may be problems sometimes if latency is huge.

Other example is recording vocals/guitars/keys and monitoring "real time" (there's no realtime but one want to minimize latency in such situations).

Again this is just a guess (i don't know exactly his workflow) but i would certainly want ASIO buffer as much as low i can have for above mentioned scenarios.

Ontopic: i need to find some time to test latest version. I hope it solved Reason crashes i had only when i used several instances of Viper in session...Speaking of 64 bit version. 32 bit jbridged worked just fine for me. fingers crossed.......

izonin wrote:
FLStudiouser94 wrote:
chk071 wrote:Because it wipes the floor with other soft synths? ;)
That's being easy on other soft synths. Viper completely destroys most other soft synths, they look like little babies in diapers in comparison. Once you try Viper, the other soft synths (and I've tried many of them) will never be the same again.
I wouldn't say that it destroys Diva. But yeah, it's a big step up from, say, Sylenth1.
I only wish that Viper was available some 10 years ago...
Viper's oscillators don't support stereo spread (you have to use split filters or true unison for that), while Sylenth1's do. That's just one difference.

Sylenth1 and Viper have happily co-existed on my system for a few weeks now, without one destroying the other :P

Halonmusic wrote:
FLStudiouser94 wrote:
chk071 wrote:Because it wipes the floor with other soft synths? ;)
That's being easy on other soft synths. Viper completely destroys most other soft synths, they look like little babies in diapers in comparison. Once you try Viper, the other soft synths (and I've tried many of them) will never be the same again.
Every softsynth is unique in its own way.
That's true, besides Viper I do love Sylenth1 a lot as well for it's nice sound.
Amram wrote:Dont know what you are talking about "destroying synths" but i saw armin van burren tutorial and he just using interneral logic synth for simple saw , same for the reverb and its sounds wow .
Even robert babictz says 90% of his bass is from interneral synth in logic from sine wave.
I maybe should have been more specific (aka speaking from my pov). It all depends on what you produce and what you like. I've tried 20+ soft synths, but I've always felt something is lacking (that's why I've tried so many of them). Eventually I started to educate myself a bit more about synths and realized that many of my favorite tracks are made with hardware synths and not soft synths. The Virus TI in particular. I realized the void comes from the lack of not having a Virus TI, so I actually had plans on getting one. Then Viper came out and all I had to do was to hear the Ambient pad in Factory 1 to be convinced that I had to buy it. Viper has the sound characteristics I seek, that many other soft synths fail to provide me.

Then it's also workflow that plays a role. I want to get started quickly. Many soft synths I've tried, have very confusing GUIs (like Harmor or Sytrus). I used Sylenth1 (still do) and Nexus (rompler though) a lot in the past, due to how fast and easy they were to use. Viper is very user-friendly. User-friendliness and sound characteristics are the most important features I seek in a software synth. Viper does both for me in a superior way (the few exceptions it can't, I have Sylenth1 for). That's why I think it destroys most other soft synths, for my needs at least :) . I've made over 120 presets with Viper and I plan on doing even more, because I actually have fun with Viper. When I use other synths, I mostly use presets.

To evaluate quality you really need only listen. Some synths are let down by their oscillators, some by their filters or effects sections. Getting all of this right is a seemingly rare combination and the Virus did (the filter is a matter of taste as it can be a bit uppredictable/quirky/gritty/have narrow sweetspot and make your sound disappear in a strange way - BPF/HPF) and then some.

The Virus is a synth that seems to have unfathamoble depths to me. It does many sounds very well and also as I am going deeper it can be super twitchy/sensitive..you can get an incredible sound and then move a paramater just slightly and lose it. You really have to listen and hone your hearing to know when magic is in front of you. Then LOCK IT ! 8)

The way I see it is it is not a synth for the impatient. You still need to spend a lot of time with it and get to know its ins and outs. It is a fun synth to tweak and every track I make I get blown away by it, and it is how old ? Yes it can be unstable in USB communication mode but I have no problem to suffer it for its lush sound.

I have not got that far into Viper yet, but what I have heard is really good so far for VA and FM and of course Supersaw/pad stuff. It is a welcome addition and I agree it has a really nice dense, smooth reverb, well done Adam. (The original Virus reverb is also really good at balancing a sound just right into the mix with a nice depth surrounding it)

FLStudiouser94 wrote: Eventually I started to educate myself a bit more about synths and realized that many of my favorite tracks are made with hardware synths and not soft synths. The Virus TI in particular. I realized the void comes from the lack of not having a Virus TI, so I actually had plans on getting one. T
When I bought Virus TI it was like "wow, this is how they actually do this, it's that simple vith Virus!" I mean the sounds used in my favourite trance and psytrance tracks. I already had Sylenth, Spire, Massive and some other fine softsynths, but Virus was a game changer for me. Viper does actually replicate the experience of using a Virus TI (of course, minus wavetables, but there are dedicated wavetable synths for that). I can say that I almost don't use my Virus any more, instead of it I use Viper together with Serum and/or Rapid loaded with Virus TI wavetables, this combo covers almost the whole Virus TI sonic range and sounds authentic enough.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

FLStudiouser94 wrote: Eventually I started to educate myself a bit more about synths and realized that many of my favorite tracks are made with hardware synths and not soft synths. The Virus TI in particular. I realized the void comes from the lack of not having a Virus TI, so I actually had plans on getting one.
When I bought Virus TI it was like "wow, this is how they actually do this, it's that simple vith Virus!" I mean the sounds used in my favourite trance and psytrance tracks. I already had Sylenth, Spire, Massive and some other fine softsynths, but Virus was a game changer for me. Viper does actually replicate the experience of using a Virus TI (of course, minus wavetables, but there are dedicated wavetable synths for that). I can say that I almost don't use my Virus any more, instead of it I use Viper together with Serum and/or Rapid loaded with Virus TI wavetables, this combo covers almost the whole Virus TI sonic range and sounds authentic enough.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

THX Adam, for the update. Viper + Bitwig = Dope

adamtrance wrote:I have sent out a newsletter with a new version of Viper which fixes the crashes people had with the 64 bit and large projects.
It seems you did very well! I just got myself a new toy! :clap:

recursive one wrote:
FLStudiouser94 wrote: Eventually I started to educate myself a bit more about synths and realized that many of my favorite tracks are made with hardware synths and not soft synths. The Virus TI in particular. I realized the void comes from the lack of not having a Virus TI, so I actually had plans on getting one.
Had no chance to try any of this yet but how does it compare sound wise? In Viper manual it says.. ", if you copy them to ‘Viper/Waveforms/User’in 16 Bit, Mono .WAV format. "

Are the internal TI wavetables not stereo and 24/192 ? (maybe that is just the AD/DA)

The Virus waves are internally inside the Virus so I have no idea what format they are, but I am sure they are mono. If you simply select a wave from the classic osc both left and right channels are the same you can even cancel them out with phase shift so they must be mono, plus its much more cpu efficient to have them mono.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Return to “Instruments”