Mux and multiple cores?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I layer plugins in Mux does it distribute each plugin or other module to a separate core?

Assuming you mean in MUX VST Plugin, then the answer is no, currently not.

Thanks, thought not - is it possible to do such a thing?

I've added it to the wishlist. It should be an option though as i think the user should be in control so to avoid multi-core fights with the host DAW.

mutools wrote:...to avoid multi-core fights with the host DAW.
Yes indeed, that's why i wondered if it was even possible. I know Bidule has some multicore capability but how it handles this I'm not sure (maybe it only works in standalone?). Thanks for the quick responses.

Hi, has anything changed in the last 4 years in terms of multi-core processing (MuLab Plugin)?

Not yet in MuLab Plugin.

mutools wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:17 am Not yet in MuLab Plugin.
I see... my vote is to move it to the top of the wish list - with multi-core processing we could recommend MuLab plugin to some more potential users:))

The main issue is that VST does not support proper cooperation between host and plugs wrt multi-core processing, and it's absolutely necessary that there is such good cooperation. Anyway, this aspect stays on the wishlist and will be evaluated regularly.

I'm also using Unify VST by Plugin Guru on my windows system, and even such a synth as Surge XT (which normally uses single core within my DAW) spreads processing across all my CPU cores once loaded to Unify plugin (as a single layer). The same is true with MuLab plugin loaded to Unify, so I believe the proper cooperation between host and plugin is achievable.

It's not because a VST plug is using multiple cores that there is a neat cooperation with the host. The multiple parallel tasks are possibly / probably fighting for cpu attention, there is no neat management, and that's the issue.

Well, I'm not an expert and I don't know how it works, but I see the results.

Surge XT within Studio One:
Surge within DAW.jpg
Surge XT loaded to Unify within Studio One:
Surge within Unify.jpg
I have no screenshot of MuLab at the moment, but the results were very similar. Sorry if there is something I don't understand, but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sure it might work in simple situations. But if many plugins all launch their own multi-processing threads, there is a cpu-core fight which is not neat. It's simple, a cpu only has a limited number of cores. If every plugin decides to do its own multi-processing they will all fight for attention of these same limited number of cpu cores. CLAP neatly resolves that via a thread pool. That's the way.

mutools wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:38 pm CLAP neatly resolves that via a thread pool. That's the way.
That's good news for me, as MuLab (in my opinion) offers much more creative freedom comparing to Unify, which is more oriented to specific sound libraries created by its developer (it works great with other plugins though and I'm happy with it). MuLab is part of my long term strategy, but I'm also looking for immediate solutions. Could at least MuLab plugin do multi-core processing when it only uses it's own modules?

Another example: Synapse Audio Dune 3 - multithreading can be switched on/off on the fly:
Dune Multithreading.jpg
As expected, it instantly reduces CPU Load when active. I didn't notice any "CPU attention struggle" - as far as I know all major DAWs handle multithreaded plugins in their own (and efficient) ways - it's up to the plugin itself to allow it or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MUTOOLS”