Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
 
14718 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

I hate string machines. :o
User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
 
1620 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

jancivil wrote:I hate string machines. :o


then the vocaloid-&-string machine song i made for you may not make you happy....
http://upstatebrooklyn.com/
always one plugin short of perfection...
User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
 
14718 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:09 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

:love:

8)
DrMEM
KVRist
 
91 posts since 6 Aug, 2017

Postby DrMEM; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
 
1533 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Aloysius wrote:They seem to have a bartering system in place:

Vocaloid5 Standard, Upgrade Edition 15,000 hen.
Vocaloid5 Premium, Upgrade Edition 24,000 hen.

That's a lot of hens.

How much is this in Camels?
Alternatively Bavarian Cows?
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12312 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?


A lot. The nuances of the human voice are...well, let's just say it is the most complex instrument on the planet. If it were as simple as you say, somebody would have done it by now. But you see, it's not just a matter of making the words and notes. There are inflections. Numerous inflections. There is breath singing, falsetto singing, growling, light vibrato, strong vibrato, accent...

Do I really need to go on?
User avatar
Burillo
KVRAF
 
2802 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?

you're missing Realitone libraries :)
From Russia with love
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12312 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Burillo wrote:
DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?

you're missing Realitone libraries :)


I have them but they're very limited. They're great for background vocals but that's about it. No way to do lead vocals with them unless it's for a very simple song that has the words built into the program. And the dictionary is sparse, to say the least.
mementus
KVRist
 
444 posts since 10 Apr, 2011

Postby mementus; Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Just in case any marketing guys from Vocaloid were reading.

I would get it, but, I would like to try a demo first!
Last but not least, I would like to watch a video-tutorial where it's explained how to work with it inside a DAW, Cubase preferably.

Please, do it.
Thank you.
DrMEM
KVRist
 
91 posts since 6 Aug, 2017

Postby DrMEM; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

wagtunes wrote:
DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?


A lot. The nuances of the human voice are...well, let's just say it is the most complex instrument on the planet. If it were as simple as you say, somebody would have done it by now. But you see, it's not just a matter of making the words and notes. There are inflections. Numerous inflections. There is breath singing, falsetto singing, growling, light vibrato, strong vibrato, accent...

Do I really need to go on?


Script the legato and vibrato. You can do 4x rr for any articulation you can think of at a cost of 8448 samples (or fewer for a smaller singing range). That's what makes it feasible. It'd still be a ton of work, but it's not prohibitive.
User avatar
BMoore
KVRian
 
1398 posts since 19 Aug, 2011

Postby BMoore; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

wagtunes wrote:The snobbery in this place is laughable, not to mention the hypocrisy.

The other day, one of our moderators (Kevvvv) was looking for a string machine. And all these suggestions came up, including what I think is one of the best ones out today, Arturia's Solina V.

Even though these things sound NOTHING like real strings. In fact, it's laughable to even consider these as a replacement for the real thing. But we use them. And we're not only content with them but we LOVE THEM.

And then, we have all our sample libraries that we use in place of the REAL thing. We love them too, even though some of them aren't all that great and even the best ones fall way short of the real thing in terms of sound and expressiveness.

And then, even with vocals, we use vocoders and other vocal FX processors that turn a human voice into a Cher clone because, by gosh, we LOVE THAT TOO.

But Vocaloid? We can't hurl enough insults at it. We can't find words vile enough to say about it.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

The term "string machine" is by no means meant to mean Vienna-type strings and the like.
You're as stupid as you look, sound, and our best testing indicates. | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12312 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

DrMEM wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?


A lot. The nuances of the human voice are...well, let's just say it is the most complex instrument on the planet. If it were as simple as you say, somebody would have done it by now. But you see, it's not just a matter of making the words and notes. There are inflections. Numerous inflections. There is breath singing, falsetto singing, growling, light vibrato, strong vibrato, accent...

Do I really need to go on?


Script the legato and vibrato. You can do 4x rr for any articulation you can think of at a cost of 8448 samples (or fewer for a smaller singing range). That's what makes it feasible. It'd still be a ton of work, but it's not prohibitive.


Not prohibitive? That's debatable. But I'm not going to argue the issue any further because, trust me, nobody is going to try to make a convincing singing engine on samples.
deastman
KVRAF
 
6710 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:16 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

If it can make me sing like Wags, I’m in!
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12312 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

deastman wrote:If it can make me sing like Wags, I’m in!


LMAO. A Vocaloid that sang like me? Hell, even I wouldn't buy it.
User avatar
djanthonyw
KVRAF
 
6890 posts since 20 Jul, 2004

Postby djanthonyw; Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

DrMEM wrote:I don't understand why we don't have a proper sample based vocal library yet. There are only 44 phonemes (vocal articulations, essentially) in the English language. I must be missing something, because I figure all you'd have to do is record each of those phonemes across say a 4 octave range and allow for midi cc or keyswitching between them (figuring out a good midi map would probably be the hardest part). That's 2112 samples for 1x rr.

Then maybe you'd want 4 dynamic layers, something like soft, normal, emotional, and gritty, and of course you'd want rr too. That puts you at 33792 samples for 4x rr at each of the four dynamic layers.

What am I missing here?


Try this. It sounds better than Vocaloid to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDHaTz62Fs&t=1337s
You are currently reading my signature.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments