Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Carpenter
KVRist

124 posts since 19 Jun, 2011

Postby Carpenter; Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

Has anyone successfully used violins from any of your standard orchestral products to successfully imitate fiddle parts?

Mine always end up sounding just like... well... violins.

Any suggestions?
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2390 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 am Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

In truth I haven't really tried, but always thought in the back of my mind it would be an extremely tough challenge to get something listenable out of it. I know EW's Gypsy violin is skewed towards fiddle more than orchestral, and I think Bohemian might conceivably be able to give it a shot - that's where I'd start anyway if I really had to do something.

AFAIK one of the main playing differences is the use of multiple strings as common (often one of them open?). You're instantly into the same problems that you get with guitar VIs, its very hard to emulate multiple strings simultaneously, and then you have tons of exaggerated portamento, very pronounced vibrato and aggressive bowings on top. It could be a contender for "hardest instrument for a VI to pull off", aside from the human voice.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

4250 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:12 am Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

I think this is one of those "learn to play fiddle so you can work out the articulations for a VI" situations, much like lead guitar. And it might need physical modelling rather than samples as orchestral samples are going to be a lot more well-behaved - and the antithesis of idiomatic fiddle playing.
Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

2329 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Postby Ah_Dziz; Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

Try the SWAM Violin. Also the VSL Solo Violin extended library can definitely get it done with some clever setup.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.
Aloysius
KVRAF

21893 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

Don't try to make fiddle parts.
I didn't get where I am today.
Carpenter
KVRist

124 posts since 19 Jun, 2011

Postby Carpenter; Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 pm Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

I find it odd that instruments and sample library's directed towards country music production are so hard to find. Country music is not some weird, unpopular, niche genre, yet there seems to be an absence of choice in the market. Yes, there's tons of construction kits for country, but I'm talking about an actual instrument, something like Philharmonik, except instead of orchestral instruments, it would have pedal steel, fiddle, slide guitar etc. For instance, I've only ever found TWO pedal steel libraries. I own one, and it's... not great. The only other library I've ever found is like $300. It seems like the companies just want to keep making another piano library or another moog imitation over and over. That's fine, but it's like, enough already. I mean, if you look at Native Instruments pages, you would think no one ever produced anything other than electronic, urban and movie scores.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12880 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm Re: Using Orchestral Library Violins For "Fiddle" Parts?

Carpenter wrote:I find it odd that instruments and sample library's directed towards country music production are so hard to find. Country music is not some weird, unpopular, niche genre, yet there seems to be an absence of choice in the market. Yes, there's tons of construction kits for country, but I'm talking about an actual instrument, something like Philharmonik, except instead of orchestral instruments, it would have pedal steel, fiddle, slide guitar etc. For instance, I've only ever found TWO pedal steel libraries. I own one, and it's... not great. The only other library I've ever found is like $300. It seems like the companies just want to keep making another piano library or another moog imitation over and over. That's fine, but it's like, enough already. I mean, if you look at Native Instruments pages, you would think no one ever produced anything other than electronic, urban and movie scores.

I have Wavelore Pedal Steel and I think it's excellent. There are a few odds and ends country slanted products out there that are quite good but no, bundles don't exist. Maybe there's no market for it or it's too hard to pull off.

Here's a CD I did of all country stuff that I specifically went out and bought a whole lot of VSTs for. I'll try to find a particular track where the "fiddle" really sounds good. It really does come down to how well you play it.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ta-country

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments