Just bought W9 - a few feature requests :)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally bought W9 and am really happy so far. I'm running it on a high DPI touchscreen, and the new UI scaling is exactly what I needed.
I have a few feature requests though that would put the proverbial icing on the cake :)

1. Under 'options' there are settings for controlling drag behavior - but since these seem to apply to the right mouse button (at least on Windows) they have no affect for touch input. So whatever I set, if i touch drag a track, it just positions the cursor. Or if i drag the track input (or filter) section up and down -in an attempt to vertically scroll - it moves/reorders the track. The only way to scroll is with the scrollbars which are very fiddly with touch input. Can we have an option that would allow touch dragging in the track area to scroll?
2. The maximize button always moves Waveform to my primary display, not the current display, (ie. not my touchscreen), so i'm forced not to use it. Not a huge deal - i just have to put up with the title bar - but thought i'd mention it.
3. I haven't tried this in the last few updates, but previously when I tried to render a track with an insert plugin (Set to send midi to a hardware synth and return audio), it says there's nothing to render, and does nothing. The work-around is to set up the track output to send to my midi device, and add a separate track to record audio, but i feel like the insert plugin workflow might be nicer.

Daniel78 wrote:1. Under 'options' there are settings for controlling drag behavior - but since these seem to apply to the right mouse button (at least on Windows) they have no affect for touch input. So whatever I set, if i touch drag a track, it just positions the cursor. Or if i drag the track input (or filter) section up and down -in an attempt to vertically scroll - it moves/reorders the track. The only way to scroll is with the scrollbars which are very fiddly with touch input. Can we have an option that would allow touch dragging in the track area to scroll?
Hmm, I may have misunderstood what you're describing but it sounds like it's doing the correct thing to me...
If you're using a touch event, I would expect this to do the same thing as a left mouse-click.

Does using two fingers simulate a right click or mouse-wheel type event?
(I don't have a Windows touch screen to test this with I'm afraid).
Daniel78 wrote:2. The maximize button always moves Waveform to my primary display, not the current display, (ie. not my touchscreen), so i'm forced not to use it. Not a huge deal - i just have to put up with the title bar - but thought i'd mention it.
Ok thanks, we'll take a look at this, it should go on the current screen I think.
Daniel78 wrote:3. I haven't tried this in the last few updates, but previously when I tried to render a track with an insert plugin (Set to send midi to a hardware synth and return audio), it says there's nothing to render, and does nothing. The work-around is to set up the track output to send to my midi device, and add a separate track to record audio, but i feel like the insert plugin workflow might be nicer.
Yes, this is the correct workflow at the moment as all input and outputs are removed from the audio graph when you render. Also, rendering is usually done as fast as possible (i.e. faster than real-time) so using Inserts in this way wouldn't work.
I'll see what it would take to add this (using the "Render at 1x Play Speed" option) but I can't make any promises I'm afraid...

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the quick response!
If you're using a touch event, I would expect this to do the same thing as a left mouse-click.

Yeah, i think this is true, but on windows, dragging a track with the left mouse button just seems to always position the transport cursor. Right dragging does the scrolling (or zooming, depending on how i have the 'drag behavior' options set).
I realised today that I can scroll the timeline with touch input as *that* does respond to the left mouse button. This gets me half way, but i still can't easily scroll vertically.

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to emulate right dragging with touch input in windows 7 ( I have a feeling win10 might have improved things), but haven't found anything yet. Dragging with 2 fingers doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Oh, and one other thing.
When I select a plug-in, its UI window pops up mostly off-screen. I have 3 monitors, and waveform is running on the righmost. As a guess, I'd say the plug-in window is being centered within the full desktop resolution, not within the application's current screen/window

Daniel78 wrote:Oh, and one other thing.
When I select a plug-in, its UI window pops up mostly off-screen. I have 3 monitors, and waveform is running on the righmost. As a guess, I'd say the plug-in window is being centered within the full desktop resolution, not within the application's current screen/window
I've also got three monitors, and noticed some oddities with the gui, which ive been meaning to bring up. I have my main monitor as the left most one, and plugins etc go a bit weird as they approach the right hand side of the middle monitor - I'll send you some better details Dave
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Are they different DPI monitors? Windows can be a bit screwy with that.
Hopefully we'll be getting some improvements to that soon...

i have two regular monitors, and the one high dpi touchscreen (that i'm running tracktion on). Worth noting that I'm also running with UI scaling set to 200% - I haven't verified if that's what's messing up the plugin UI positioning.

Thanks for looking at these issues - i know these weird combinations of hardware/user settings can be a pain!

Sign me up as someone who would LOVE to see a 32-bit bridge in Waveform.

There's still a ton of quality 32-bit VSTs in the world.

You can buy bridges today, but there's a small number that range from not-well-supported to expensive.

And I have to think this boxes in a lot of musicians who created great stuff with 32-bit software, and are understandably reluctant to lose that ready ability by jumping to a 64-bit-only DAW.

But think of it this way: is any other DAW bundling in a 32-bit bridge?

If Tracktion were to build in the capability to Waveform 9 with Dave's usual attention to quality, there'd be little excuse for a lot of musicians to drop their 32-bit DAWs and switch to Waveform... having the best of both worlds in the 64-bit universe. Why wouldn't you switch to a low-cost DAW that lets you open up and use all your old projects as well as have cutting-edge technology at the same time?

There's probably a much bigger market out there than most of us will know.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Unfortunately this is extremely unlikely to happen. Making W9 64-bit only was one of the best decisions we've made in my opinion.
The speed-up to development, testing and deployment would have made it worthwhile on its own but it has also brought with it an unprecedented level of stability and performance which we honestly weren't expecting.

We do understand that there are some people out there that still have 32-bit only plugins but from our research these are few and far between these days. For the small number that are still around, as you say, there are other 3rd party bridges available.

Other than a small cost saving, I'm struggling to see what the advantage of us adding an integrated bridge would be?

We have a large number of beginner users and the greatly improved simplicity in only supporting one plugin architecture makes their entry in to the desktop music making world a much less painful one...

We've received only a tiny number of complaints since dropping 32-bit (which may partially be due to us announcing it well in advance) which makes me think the market isn't that huge for 32-bit versions these days and it will be shrinking year by year.

Drat! Well, it was worth a try.

I am all 64-bit, but know that there are lots of great projects out there stuck in 32-bit hell.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote:
But think of it this way: is any other DAW bundling in a 32-bit bridge?
Reaper and Cakewalk both have built-in bridging for 32-bit plugins in their 64-bit DAWs.

But for stability's sake I would still limit its use to opening old projects made with 32-bit plugins, and find 64-bit replacements for everything else. You never know what compatibility issues you may encounter in your DAW by running these old plugins.

I would agree that Waveform 9 appears to be very stable. :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Daniel78 wrote:i have two regular monitors, and the one high dpi touchscreen (that i'm running tracktion on). Worth noting that I'm also running with UI scaling set to 200% - I haven't verified if that's what's messing up the plugin UI positioning.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but wanted to note that the incorrect positioning of the plugin UI window does indeed seem to be related to the UI scaling. At 100% scaling, it positions fine (at least after i have moved it to the correct monitor). With 200% ui scaling, the plugin UI consistently starts off screen. Really frustrating since i'm having to switch monitors all the time to retrieve the plugins.

edit: this can also be repro-ed even without a high DPI monitor.

Return to “Tracktion”