What is the difference Irish folk music and Country?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I have this great live concert on DVD with Mark Knoppler and Emilou Harris.

EH is some kind of country queen, if I understand it right - not into that genre per se.

Not sure what to consider this music as?

If missing pedal steel - then Irish folk music, or?

What are the significant differences?

Did Irish immigrants to US bring this, and then evolved to country, or?

Thanks.

Country is white man's blues, unlike European folk it borrows from African music.

there's definitely a lot of irish/british folk music present in the musical dna of american country or especially bluegrass, although there is other stuff there as well, with the blues influences and such.

EH is closer to bluegrass roots than a lot of other country artists, so there is more of that evident with her than some others.

Thanks Zombie and Shawn.

They did a really nice job incorporating tempodriven synths in the arrangements as well, so it was pretty much a violin that gave the irish flavour to it.

It's on YT as well obviosly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgpiyOOULY4

lfm wrote:Did Irish immigrants to US bring this, and then evolved to country, or?
Not quite, Scots immigrants did. The original wave of 'Irish' immigrants were actually Scots who'd relocated to Northern Ireland the previous century. Not long after that migrations began from Scotland because of the Highland Clearances. That'd be the 1720s or do onwards
There wasnt significant migration of the Irish until over a century later, mid 1800s

https://londoncelticpunks.wordpress.com ... can-music/

WRT style : I do remember Aly Bain pointing out that (wrt fiddle/violin at least), even though the songs were inherited one difference is that American folk/country habitually run/slide notes into each other, whilst scots/irish folk music kept them separate. I guess that folds into the steel guitar/slide thing too.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

One goes 'deedly-deedly-DEEDLY-deedly,' and the other goes 'TWANG!'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Large amounts of twang and the steel guitar came from the influence of Hawaiian folk music, as did a lot of the slide blues guitar styles as well.

Different vocal color and attitude!

whyterabbyt wrote:
lfm wrote:Did Irish immigrants to US bring this, and then evolved to country, or?
Not quite, Scots immigrants did. The original wave of 'Irish' immigrants were actually Scots who'd relocated to Northern Ireland the previous century. Not long after that migrations began from Scotland because of the Highland Clearances. That'd be the 1720s or do onwards
There wasnt significant migration of the Irish until over a century later, mid 1800s

https://londoncelticpunks.wordpress.com ... can-music/

WRT style : I do remember Aly Bain pointing out that (wrt fiddle/violin at least), even though the songs were inherited one difference is that American folk/country habitually run/slide notes into each other, whilst scots/irish folk music kept them separate. I guess that folds into the steel guitar/slide thing too.
Good read, thank you. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”