Seeking help to avoid mistake in buying USB Audio Interface as a first timer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been using M-Audio M-Track 2x2M lately with my laptop in Windows 10. Drivers are good. I worked with Cubase and REAPER, as well as Vst Host for testing virtual instruments, without problems, and latency is at 256 samples, without any noticeable taxing on the CPU. It is cheap, and meets all your requirements (2 In and 2 Out, including line and mic preamps, and MIDI In/Out).

I strongly advise you NOT to use and reside on ASIO4ALL. If an interface doesn't have good own ASIO drivers, simply return it. It's most likely you will experience problems forever.
Fernando (FMR)

It's become time for me to add a smaller interface as well. One thing is the driver issue, as Win 10 will sometimes not load the Roland VS100 drivers I use now. Having to reboot can get annoying. It's a good little machine and I plan on just using the recorder in it on the back side of whatever interface I get to replace it.

But the whole thing with drivers can be a curse just as much as it promises to be a blessing... Especially when it concerns anything made by Roland in my experience. So what about interfaces that are 'class compliant'?

In my recent searches, along with the previous suggestions made so far, I'm also looking at Tascam us2x2/us4x4. Which from what I have read, dumped their problematic drivers for class compliant ones? Are these something to avoid/dismiss from considering?

While all I need is two mic ins, L/R outs and would prefer two headphone outs (the main reason I'm even looking at the us4x4) the simplicity of the Scarlett 2i2-2g appears to me to be the best loved out of the bunch. Behringer have proven to be a crap shoot for me, as I've had really good ones and complete crap from them, and often being the same product, so I'm not as trusting with them.

With all of that bouncing around, my main question is the one I would like other opinions about. And that is if I should even consider Tascam?

The only things that matter when choosing an audio interface:

1.- Quality of drivers
2.- Number of Ins/outs you need

If you are on windows IME there are only two brands with good drivers: RME and Steinberg. within your budget I woulod get the ur22 or the ur44.
dedication to flying

I own an RME baby face and it is probably the lowest latency you can get on windows without going PCI. Very nice unit and comes with some onboard DSP.

I had an Apollo twin which is nearly as fast but gives you a lot more DSP power vi UAD plugins. Probably my choice if recording vocals .. however .. not enough DSP power to do much beyond running a handful of plugins simultaneously in your DAW so probably looking at master channel effects only. And UAD plugins are expensive. Exchanged it for the baby face as I don’t really record vocals lol.

I also have a Scarlett 2i4 as a backup and it is solid. I think the latest generation has lower latency than mine, but stil not as fast as the RME. Good enough for me to play guitar through an amp sim. Controlling levels is manual so you can’t save presets like the babyface.

Anyhow that’s my experience on a windows laptop with USB.

Dee.P.Tree wrote:Does it mean that any interface having issues with driver may work with ASIO4ALL because it is devicd independent?
Should at least.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

A good budget option might be the Steinberg UR22 Mk2.

I have never used it,but,being Steinberg,the drivers are likely to be very good.

Also,it has very good preamps if the reviews are to be believed.

On top of this, it comes with Cubase Al which would be a great introduction into audio and midi composing.

It lacks a pad function,which the others have,but that not's a big deal.

dellboy wrote:A good budget option might be the Steinberg UR22 Mk2.

I have never used it,but,being Steinberg,the drivers are likely to be very good.

On top of this, it comes with Cubase Al which would be a great introduction into audio and midi composing.

I'm really satisfied with mine. Good sound, and works flawless.

That said, the Presonus is 30 € cheaper though. I don't think i'll ever need any sample rate as high as the UR22 offers (192 kHz), so, the 96 kHz of the Presonus should be fine. Actually, if i knew about it back when i bought my UR22, i probably would have gone for the Presonus.

Rme is very good an worth the extra money. Very solid performance.

simonhans73 wrote:Rme is very good an worth the extra money. Very solid performance.
Thomann Europe.......

Presonus AudioBox USB 96.........88 euro

RME Babyface Pro..................729 euro

"extra money"......................641 euro

The op's maximum was 150 euro-ish. Is there an RME in a lower price bracket that I could not find ?

chk071 wrote:
That said, the Presonus is 30 € cheaper though. I don't think i'll ever need any sample rate as high as the UR22 offers (192 kHz), so, the 96 kHz of the Presonus should be fine. Actually, if i knew about it back when i bought my UR22, i probably would have gone for the Presonus.
I never go over 96 khz either,so the Presonus would do the job fine depending on the quality of the preamps.

If Presonus modified the bundled Studio One Artist daw to include VST ability it would make it even better. They could for instance make it 32 tracks instead of unlimited. Although,for the OP's use, it may be just fine, as he\she is intending to just use hardware synths to audio.

ATN69 wrote:It's hard to buy things you can't really test before and everyone will have their own opinions about what is the best.

One nice thing with Focusrite is that when you buy anything from them you become a member in the Focusrite Plugin collective, which mean they offer plugins for free every month. ..... Besides that you normally also get a bunch of decent plugins together with the audio interface. I am mentioning this because it's a factor well worth considering. As for drivers, I didn't have much of a problem. I had to consult Focusrite once when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and they helped me quite quickly.
Thanks ATN69 for your inputs. :hail:

Regrading "test before buy", That is why it is very important to be around musicians locally-in real world. If any person, like me, who do noy have such atmosphere around, I have to be dependent on forums like KVR or "trial and error" thing.

Anyway, Good to know that you did not have much problem with your Focusrite.

Have a nice day!
Dee. :D

dellboy wrote: Behringer UMC 204hd here.

Great all metal build quality with Midas preamps. Latency is pretty decent. It is by far the best value USB interface with midi - in - out ports available.

If brand names matter,then go with Focusrite,but the Behringer is every bit its equal in my opinion.

I have Studio One Artist and never use it because it does not have VST support.

Ableton Live Lite is only limited by its track count,and so is useful to learn the basics of Live with,but its not worth paying the extra for a Focusrite just to get it.
I had totally missed that Studio One Artist does not have VST support. Thanks for highlighting it.

I agree that it's not wise decision to buy Focusrite, just to get Ableton Live Lite. I have noticed that it is available on every second hardware.

Thanks for your feedback about Behringer UMC204hd. It will be helpful in my comparison.

:hail:

fmr wrote:I have been using M-Audio M-Track 2x2M lately with my laptop in Windows 10. Drivers are good. I worked with Cubase and REAPER, as well as Vst Host for testing virtual instruments, without problems, and latency is at 256 samples, without any noticeable taxing on the CPU. It is cheap, and meets all your requirements (2 In and 2 Out, including line and mic preamps, and MIDI In/Out).

I strongly advise you NOT to use and reside on ASIO4ALL. If an interface doesn't have good own ASIO drivers, simply return it. It's most likely you will experience problems forever.
Thanks for your advice, sir. Yes, this M-Track one is in similar price range. This is can be added in list of options. :hail:

BBFG# wrote:It's become time for me to add a smaller interface as well. One thing is the driver issue, as Win 10 will sometimes not load the Roland VS100 drivers I use now. Having to reboot can get annoying. It's a good little machine and I plan on just using the recorder in it on the back side of whatever interface I get to replace it.

But the whole thing with drivers can be a curse just as much as it promises to be a blessing... Especially when it concerns anything made by Roland in my experience. So what about interfaces that are 'class compliant'?

In my recent searches, along with the previous suggestions made so far, I'm also looking at Tascam us2x2/us4x4. Which from what I have read, dumped their problematic drivers for class compliant ones? Are these something to avoid/dismiss from considering?

While all I need is two mic ins, L/R outs and would prefer two headphone outs (the main reason I'm even looking at the us4x4) the simplicity of the Scarlett 2i2-2g appears to me to be the best loved out of the bunch. Behringer have proven to be a crap shoot for me, as I've had really good ones and complete crap from them, and often being the same product, so I'm not as trusting with them.

With all of that bouncing around, my main question is the one I would like other opinions about. And that is if I should even consider Tascam?
Thanks for your views, sir. :hail:

Question to community, is Tascam worth considering?

rod_zero wrote:The only things that matter when choosing an audio interface:

1.- Quality of drivers
2.- Number of Ins/outs you need

If you are on windows IME there are only two brands with good drivers: RME and Steinberg. within your budget I woulod get the ur22 or the ur44.
chk071 wrote:
dellboy wrote:A good budget option might be the Steinberg UR22 Mk2.

I'm really satisfied with mine. Good sound, and works flawless.

Thanks for suggesting steinberg, rod_zero, dellboy and chk071 sir. :hail: I appreciate your efforts. :hail:

UR22 is inline to my budget.

How PAD function is used? in which scenario? I had also noticed in Focusrite manual (yes, I don't own it but still read it to know what it offers.), but could not understand very well.
Last edited by Dee.P.Tree on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”