Did That Really Happen?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My offline computer's security thingy is scanning for malicious files. It's taking long and it's tied up and I can't do music-making stuff on it. So , I'm bored and I'm using my online computer to kill time.

So, at another thread it was mentioned that the 'left brain' 'right brain' thing has been debunked.
i didn't want to reply in that thread because my reply could derail that thread so I made this thread.

So, I went to Google and typed these 4 search words: left brain right debunked
The second article on page one of Google's results is titled "Left Brain-Right Brain Study Debunks a Decades-Old Neuromyth ..."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... -neuromyth

It's 4 years (Dec 20, 2017) more recent than the first article (2013) so I clicked that second article.

It seems the title of that article is misleading because of this quote in the article:

"The good news: State-of-the-art neuroscientific research is slowly beginning to debunk many age-old neuromyths.
For example, a consortium of neuroscientists from the European Multilateral Project recently discovered
that left brain-right brain asymmetry of a cortical region called the “planum temporale”
is not a marker of language lateralization in the left cerebral hemisphere."

"Slowly beginning to debunk" doesn't seem like the same as debunked to me.

So, in Google I did a new search using these words: damage brain hemisphere music psychology today. I added "psychology today" to the search words because the first article is by "Psychology Today".
The first for that new search is an article on page one of Google's results and it is titled "Musical Preferences and the Brain | Psychology Today"
That article is dated Dec 21, 2017 so I clicked that. Hah, it's just one day older than the first article.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -the-brain

I don't know why that second article appeared at the top of Google's result. It seem to completely ignore the "brain damage" part of my Google search words. So, I do another Google search using the same words as before except I removed "psychology today".

For this third search, at the top of Google's result at page is the article titled "The Beat Goes Off: Scientists Pinpoint the Loss of Musical Perception ...".
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... erception/
It's dated Oct 31, 2016 so I clicked that. The article seem to disagree that the 'left brain' 'right brain' thing has been debunked.
Have I misunderstood all three articles?

Please, pardon my overuse of the word "so". It's just my style. Besides, according to a Peter Gabriel album... So.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Welcome to the modern age of fake news.

Even though i don't know if you can even call it fake news in this case. Psychology is not really a science, rather entirely theoretical.

chk071 wrote:Even though i don't know if you can even call it fake news in this case. Psychology is not really a science, rather entirely theoretical.
I've studied psychology for 1 year and I agree. Not really a science indeed, especially if you go deep in theory.

What do brain scans of the two hemispheres made during certain activities such as language production or making music show?
The brain is very flexible, though, and limited damages to one hemisphere can often be compensated for after some time of adaptation.

nothing "really" happens.
it's just how we perceive the billions of individual possibilities that all exist, everywhere, everywhen, as humans our minds organise these in to "linear time"
where time is really just another dimension in space and can be traversed as such.

time piercing is possible, it is your right, it is your destiny.

vurt wrote:nothing "really" happens.
it's just how we perceive the billions of individual possibilities that all exist, everywhere, everywhen, as humans our minds organise these in to "linear time"
where time is really just another dimension in space and can be traversed as such.

time piercing is possible, it is your right, it is your destiny.
OB1? :o

...from a certain point of view.

harryupbabble wrote:I added "psychology today" to the search words
How the brain works is neuroscience so explicitly excluding "psychology" would be better.
But then again, you'd probably have to know all the medical/scientific mumbo-jumbo to understand or even find anything relevant.

(Milgram's 37 is psychology. So.)

Bear in mind that, when searching anything political/scientific/government funded - open another browser window and repeat the search with duckduckgo to remove Google's bias. Cross reference results.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

You mean they coded some "political/scientific/governmental" bias into their search algorithms? Hmm... bit tin foil hat, don't you think?

In before someone posts "ultimate proof" for that in form of a newspaper article from the arse-end of the press. :lol:

Only political thing i could think of that they do is those links when you click on the Google banner. But, that's rather left liberal stuff in most cases, which the tin foil hat crew shouldn't have issues with.

do_androids_dream wrote:Bear in mind that, when searching anything political/scientific/government funded - open another browser window and repeat the search with duckduckgo to remove Google's bias. Cross reference results.
I had Duckduckgo before. Duckduckgo is focused on making your browsing private. But I gave it up because Duckduckgo seem to be limited in seeing the big picture because it always seem to give less results to searches.

I stick to Google because in Google you can type these search words: why google is evil
If you type those search words in Google you get 386 million results.
So Google doesn't seem to to be censoring anyone. I like that.

I also like that a few or so years ago Google fought people that wanted to erase history. "People" wanted to erase what they typed in Google and they wanted certain articles about them to not be searchable in Google.
But I thought it was NOT mostly the common people that wanted history to be erasable, it was mostly the politicians and corporations. But I admit, I'm just guessing.

I think that Google will try its hardest not to be guilty of bias. It will be the end of Google if Google is proven to be corrupt?
So right now I'm just going to presume Google is impartial. Also Google does comply to the law even if the law says "make history erasable".
At the moment I have doubts about the law and have more faith in Google.

Am I naive? I want to be less naive and learn new knowledge. Please, I want to know in what ways is Google biased?

harryupbabble wrote:Am I naive? I want to be less naive and learn new knowledge. Please, I want to know in what ways is Google biased?
The results that Google presents to any given person is influenced by said person's previous searches and other Google cookies.

Anyway, I use DDG mainly for the bang shortcuts, but startpage c.q. ixquick has the same privacy concept but gives more/better search results.

Such as — back on topic — Despite what you've been told, you aren't 'left-brained' or 'right-brained'

chk071 wrote: But, that's rather left liberal stuff in most cases, which the tin foil hat crew shouldn't have issues with.

hmmm, given the most famous of the tin foil hatters (imo) art bell and alex jones, neither can be considered left wing surely?
false flags, dem tuk oor guns! not very lefty...

both sides as always, have their nutters :hihi:

Originally, I created this thread because of my so far unshaken belief that it takes two different persons to be a very very very successful songwriter, or rather songwriters. Bernie Taupin and Elton John, for example. The first person is the lyricist and the second person is the melodist. And that the lyricist is good at making use of whatever brain hemisphere is responsible for lyric writing. And that the melodist is good at making use of whatever OTHER brain hemisphere is responsible for melody writing and music in general.

That's why I still believe in the "debunked" science (they are calling it myth now) about one brain hemisphere handling certain tasks and the other brain hemisphere handling certain other tasks. Somehow, the great songwriters, like Paul McCartney, can be both a natural lyricist and a natural melodist. Okay I guess that it is just my opinion about the "natural" part and heck, about everything else but yeah I believe people like Paul McCartney are rare and are freaks, and must be one of those people that doesn't favor one brain hemisphere over the other but make use of both brain hemispheres much better than the normal person.

But then I thought if that is true that Paul McCartney must possess an ambidextrous brain... then how come he is left-handed?
So then I thought maybe Paul McCartney really is not 100 percent good with lyrics but maybe IF it is not 100 percent then maybe it's close to 90 percent, that it's still pretty high compared to normal people. After all, supposedly it took Paul one minute to write the music to Yesterday but it took him weeks to write the lyrics. But unlike some people, "normal" people never finish lyrics even if they finished the melody and vice versa. Because if they can do that then they are not normal? So, somehow Paul qualifies as being talented at writing lyrics that fit his music. A freak?

So, I don't know. Did that really happen? Was the old science about the brain hemispheres specializing in different tasks debunked? The consensus according to Google results seem to be "Yes that old science/myth (it was science for a long time, an author who wrote a book about the subject even won a Nobel prize) about the left-brain right -brain thing has been debunked". But can debunkers be debunked?

Milk used to be good, then bad, then good. Same with eggs? Same with a lot of other sciences, if I look hard enough. I don't think I'm just in deep denial. I'm just skeptical but open to "convincing" data. To me, the debunkers about the topic are not doing a good job debunking. I could be wrong though. Maybe I'm just not fully understanding their points.

But I mean the third article link in my first post seem to contradict the debunkers. Music-making seem to be a specialized hemispheric brain function as opposed to both-hemisphere brain function. The debunkers started appearing around 2013 right? So, the third article in my first post is pretty recent... 2016. October too.

if theres one thing i know about facts, they change.

even more so in the post reality world we live in now.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”