What's so special about Reaper?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bazwillrun wrote:Cubase 9.5 £480.00
Reaper 5.9 £45.00

The price for starters !...
The German DAW's are all pretty expensive :?

Reaper 5.9 £45.00

Ever saw what Cubase offers for the price? Also, again, IF you "are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000" you can buy the personal Reaper license. Otherwise, you'll have to pay $225. Which, i would say, is more or less the same, when you subtract all the content from Cubase. Maybe Cubase would be even cheaper then. Speculation, yes, but, the development of the content isn't free. And Cubase has loads of it. And when i say loads, i mean LOADS.

chk071 wrote:Speculation, yes, but, the development of the content isn't free. And Cubase has loads of it. And when i say loads, i mean LOADS.
Too much for me personally. Same with Sonar. That could also be a choice factor, indeed.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:
chk071 wrote:Speculation, yes, but, the development of the content isn't free. And Cubase has loads of it. And when i say loads, i mean LOADS.
Too much for me personally.
I agree. That's one of the reasons i'm using Studio One. At least it lets you choose what you install, and what not.

Nielzie wrote:
Too much for me personally. Same with Sonar. That could also be a choice factor, indeed.
Same here, I do not want their content, I just want the naked DAW.

Same here, I do not want their content, I just want the naked DAW.
ACTION STATIONS ACTION STATIONS, BRACE FOR IMPACT! INCOMING IN 3..2..1...
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

"What's so special about Reaper?"

Download the demo version and find out for yourself. It's a MASSIVE download - 12MB.
:hihi:

Don't think it was really a question. Rather free community advertising. :ud:

I'd get tarred, feathered and crucified for doing the same with Cubase, BTW. Just sayin'.

Reaper is probably the closest you'll find to a single DAW application that's, "all things to all people".
It's flexible/configurable almost to a fault.
It can take a while to get everything configured to your liking... which can be a "put-off" to some folks.

If you're running heavy projects, Reaper is currently the most CPU efficient DAW.

Being a relatively new DAW application, Reaper devs were able to look at top features from other DAW apps... and incorporate similar features (and try to improve upon them).
Being newer, there's not decades of "legacy code" (necessary for backward compatibility) dragging down performance and bloating the size.

The company behind Reaper is in a very unique situation.
They're small/dynamic... (not a lot of red-tape to bog things down)
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Are all those configuration settings in a file transferable to new major versions or does one have to configure it all over again?

Reaper 5.9 £45.00

Actually ...

$60: discounted license
$225: commercial license
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Are all those configuration settings in a file transferable to new major versions or does one have to configure it all over again?
Yes, it's all "transferable". You can export the whole customised Reaper 'state' and import it to another install of Reaper on a different computer.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

So, I typed these 3 words in Google: sociopath world percent
On page one of Google's results, the first article is titled "Statistics - Sociopaths"
https://eyesofasociopath.weebly.com/statistics.html

According to that article... "The sociopath makes up approximately 3 to 5 percent of the general population".

You can keep using REAPER beyond the 60-day trial and it won't be crippled in any way but if you do that then you may be a sociopath and have no conscience?
But since about 95 percent of the general population aren't sociopaths, chances are that your conscience will conclude something like "I need to pay for this great software".

Other DAWs don't test people's conscience that way because they stop working after the trial period? So maybe REAPER is successful because most people are not sociopaths. Okay, it's not the only reason, but one of many?

Other reasons for REAPER being special would be:
- it doesn't have a dedicated support department with staff that are payed to do troubleshooting.
- the helpful REAPER community is the equivalent of a support department for REAPER, it's voluntary and it's kind
- it's affordable to people on very tight budget
- it has a license that never expires (the updates do expire, but it may take many years for that to happen though, maybe as much as 5 years?)
- it's not a CPU hog
- developers themselves participate in the REAPER forums (how many developers does REAPER have anyways, I seem to be aware of only two)
- scriptwriters and other people that knows computer language(s) believe in REAPER and help people out

The above could be true of other DAWs too, I don't know, I only know that it was easier for me to just download REAPER and start using it.
No asking for your email, no activation, no registration. No hassles.

Also in my case, REAPER was mostly able to process 20,000 midi files, I had to use Midi Disassembler to complete the job. It would have probably taken me days and days and days had I had to do the processing manually (mouse clicking and all that). Pretend the job took me 8 hours to do it manually and I get paid 10 dollars per hour then REAPER has already paid for itself because $10 x 8 = 80 CAD or 60 USD.

The downside is that it took almost a month for me to understand to process my 20,000 midi files in REAPER. Usually I'm in a hurry but it's summer and I temporarily have time to take things slow and that's what I did, did things slowly. And did other stuff that had nothing to do with REAPER.

But now I have REAPER knowledge on how to process 20,000 midi files and it will be faster next time. So now, I am determined to buy REAPER 6.0, no matter what. I owe REAPER. It would be my first internet purchase. I think I have just become a REAPER fanboy. So I think that's what make REAPER special. It makes people like me who has never bought anything via the internet have a look at it and buy in the end.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

himalaya wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Are all those configuration settings in a file transferable to new major versions or does one have to configure it all over again?
Yes, it's all "transferable". You can export the whole customised Reaper 'state' and import it to another install of Reaper on a different computer.
That's nice :)

harryupbabble wrote:So, I typed these 3 words in Google: sociopath world percent
On page one of Google's results, the first article is titled "Statistics - Sociopaths"
https://eyesofasociopath.weebly.com/statistics.html

According to that article... "The sociopath makes up approximately 3 to 5 percent of the general population".

You can keep using REAPER beyond the 60-day trial and it won't be crippled in any way but if you do that then you may be a sociopath and have no conscience?
But since about 95 percent of the general population aren't sociopaths, chances are that your conscience will conclude something like "I need to pay for this great software".
Exactly. There are some companies who one just feels like buying from. Steinberg is not one of them in my view.
I am basically waiting for v6.0 now, don't want to buy v5.92 at the full price. (I know it is not expensive anyway, but then again, I am using Mulab so far, which is about the same price new, but upgrades for existing customers are very affordable. And like Cockos MuTools is a developer who deserves my money, so to speak.)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”