You happy with Studio One 4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
jjpscott01 wrote:I love Studio One in general and I still feel its the fastest to compose in of any DAW. The new update is nice and I really like the subtle GUI changes they made from version 3. Its still by far the hardest on my CPU in Windows 10(At least compared to Cubase, Reaper, Waveform, Samplitude ProX, Mixcraft, Reason, and Mulab.) I'm OK if I'm recording mostly audio but when I load up a couple VI's or add some channel Effects it sends the CPU meters into a frenzy every time. I optimize PC's for Audio, Video, and Gaming for a living so I know a little about how to squeeze every little drop out of your CPU and Studio One is still the only one that gives me these troubles. If it weren't for this, I'd almost consider it a perfect DAW. Version 4 is even more refined than 3 was and some of the smaller features added were big for me. I just wish it was more processor efficient for use with larger projects but that's not specific to this version as its had this trouble for years.
Curious: do you find the CPU usage is worst when input monitoring is enabled? In my experience, Studio One is a bit less efficient than Reaper and Studio One in normal mixing duties, but the CPU usage is pretty terrible when input monitoring. I think what's going on is that Studio One's Low Latency Monitoring mode actually exacerbates the CPU usage issues quite a bit because it's basically making a copy of the monitoring effects behind the scenes (doubling up the inserts), and is also using a lower buffer for that channel at the same time, the two of which really blow up the CPU. I don't know how Steinberg's ASIO Guard works, but it seems to do something very similar, but much better than Studio One.
I have noticed its much worse when input monitoring so you might be right about that. And I can attest to Cubase having a better Asio Guard in place than Studio One. Again, I love everything else about S1, so i'd love to see Presonus give this some attention in future releases. As it is now, Its a true gem of production software with one FATAL flaw.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Heavy on CPU , they insert in version 4 some things from other DAW , which is a good thing , but and I'm not the only one bragging about this , they not listening at consumers very well : we still don't have Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol integration . Was possible on Cubase , Logic and Ableton , and here is not ? Too bad ...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Curious: do you find the CPU usage is worst when input monitoring is enabled? In my experience, Studio One is a bit less efficient than Reaper and Studio One in normal mixing duties, but the CPU usage is pretty terrible when input monitoring. I think what's going on is that Studio One's Low Latency Monitoring mode actually exacerbates the CPU usage issues quite a bit because it's basically making a copy of the monitoring effects behind the scenes (doubling up the inserts), and is also using a lower buffer for that channel at the same time, the two of which really blow up the CPU. I don't know how Steinberg's ASIO Guard works, but it seems to do something very similar, but much better than Studio One.
jjpscott01 wrote: I have noticed its much worse when input monitoring so you might be right about that. And I can attest to Cubase having a better Asio Guard in place than Studio One. Again, I love everything else about S1, so i'd love to see Presonus give this some attention in future releases. As it is now, Its a true gem of production software with one FATAL flaw.
With a "Hybrid" style buffering (used in Logic, ProTools, and StudioOne), a larger processing buffer is used on tracks that are simply playing back. This (of course) makes much more efficient use of CPU.
Extra latency from the larger processing buffer is moot... as it's compensated (never heard/noticed) on tracks playing back.

With input-monitoring enabled, the (smaller) ASIO buffer size is used for all tracks set to be monitored (via software) in real-time. This provides the lowest latency possible on a given machine/audio-interface. Processing with a small buffer size will result in significantly higher CPU use.
The latest generation of audio interfaces are allowing super small ASIO buffer sizes (some even allow setting the safety-buffer size). While that flexibility is great, the smaller the buffer size... the higher the CPU use.

There may be ways for the developers to further optimize S1 performance, but processing at smaller buffer size will always mean heavier CPU load. This isn't limited to S1. You'd experience the same with any DAW software.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

johnwoo wrote:Heavy on CPU , they insert in version 4 some things from other DAW , which is a good thing , but and I'm not the only one bragging about this , they not listening at consumers very well : we still don't have Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol integration . Was possible on Cubase , Logic and Ableton , and here is not ? Too bad ...
Highest voted questions in Studio One Feature Requests

https://answers.presonus.com/questions/ ... ?sort=vote

NKS support for Studio One 4

https://answers.presonus.com/28347/nks- ... udio-one-4

Maybe in the next free incremental update, since it was asked less then two months ago?

Presonus is pretty good about addressing top asks (as you can see on their Answers site - a number were addressed in v4). I don't doubt they'll continue to address in future updates - but you gotta VOTE!

Ecstatic
Say NO to CLAP!

It has made me more of a believer in the idea of a single almighty DAW. I don't know what the previous versions were like, but I'm definitely digging V4.

There are some small issues, but overall I find it a pretty solid product. I'm all for using multiple DAWs, but this thing is a beast and has been kicking my other DAWs straight to the curb.

I could live with this thing as my only DAW. :hug:

Overall it is fine. I don't use the v4 features very much tho.

Recently updated the nvidia drivers and it S1 stopped working so... :shrug:
Have to revert to drivers from last year till someone at PreSonus decides to take a look.

I was super-excited and upgraded immediately - but the new stuff is a joke for the most part of it - especially the "chord-recognition" is laughable at best - could also be called a scandal that they dare to ask money for it and sell it as a main new feature if one is less forgiving. They must all have been drunk and stoned during the entire development and testing phase. Either that or they were taking the piss.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The new stuff is all working fine for me, the pattern editor is superb and I have found a lot of creative uses for the chord extract/follow which I find almost magical!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The chord recognition does not work at all! Not even in the slightest!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:The chord recognition does not work at all! Not even in the slightest!
I think it works depending on what you're feeding it. I tried it out with an acoustic rhythm guitar part, and it worked reasonably well. Had some issues differentiating between 7th chords and minor chords, and broken chords with descending basslines seemed to confuse it, but it got 85% of the chords on a folky track fine. If you're not feeding it something with strong chords, I doubt it'll work that well.

I ended up feeding it cleanly picked triads (three strings at once, only minor and major chords), a new one each bar and would repeat the same a few times... it got some of them right but others were completely wrong (and sometimes what it recognized was not even triads, can you imagine that?) and it did not even make the same mistake with each repetition - and the places where it puts the changes seem completely random...

My answer is a big fat NO, not until..they fix the Hi-DPI issue and allow users to disable it on Windows 7, until that happens, everything else is really not worth talking about, even if there are other things to talk about...

There are things I like in 4.... but not worth mentioning again, in case I already did previously...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: 4. Drum editor: it's upside down with no ability to flip the order...needs a bit more work.
That's too bad. The other stuff doesn't bother me, but the pattern editor was the one thing that really got me excited about the prospect of updating.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”