One Synth Challenge #112: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

Sorry to hear dB. Condolences.

Hooray, Photonic! A well deserved win. Congratulations everyone! :party: :clap:

Sorry to hear about your cat, dB. The same thing - acute kidney failure - happened to our cat a few months ago. Perfectly healthy 8-year old before that, but it only took a week or so for the body to give in, and there was nothing the vet could do about it. Sad days - those poor little creatures, not knowing what hit them.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Why was the 130 point winner disqualified?

Aliens wrote:Why was the 130 point winner disqualified?
I didn't vote :/ Too much going on with a move and various new place repairs, sleeping on floors and wondering where our stuff is.

Big congrats to the winners, though. All very well deserved and all in all I feel very gratified that I actually reached the top (and the bottom!).

Sorry to hear about your cat, dB. Got an old dog who's nearing his end and don't look forward to that day.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: I didn't vote :/ Too much going on with a move and various new place repairs, sleeping on floors and wondering where our stuff is.
Pity for you, but surely some comfort knowing you won the vote.
Hope your situation improves :tu:

doctorbob wrote:My cat...
I'm sorry to hear it. I lost mine in December. It gets easier; it really does.

Oh WOW, just came into the office and saw this! :D

Thank you all so much for your support and points! :hug:

My congrats to VCA, Schiing, Jasinski and TrojakEW for their top places. :tu:
But I also want to congratulate TheNeverScene for reaching the highest score. Beside the rules of the contest, you are the real winner here. You reached the hearts of the people most. You can be proud of your track!

As prize I will take the Britson Console by Sonimus.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

AlienXXX wrote:Hmmm... surprise.
As always, I seem to be stuck in last place.
Maybe this is just not the place for me.
The sooner you forget about those points and all ranks here the better. OSC is about improving your skills. You have done good job. Your next goal is not to rise in this chart but to learn more. Some people born with talent and while other (like most of us) need to get them through hard practice. Still don't forget even these with born in talent need to practise otherwise they will be forgoten. Perfection can not be obtained and there is always something new to learn.

BTW. Congrats to all. :tu:

theseth wrote:
574X wrote:The voting journey was a strange one this round, with some showcases of excellent production, while lacking in progressive creativity, and others demonstrating incredible freedom despite fatal production errors. History often proves that it's the marriage of both elements, significantly weighted towards individual creativity that allows the impact and influence of the music to stand the test of time. But whatev. amirite

can you say more about errors, what was good and what needs to be improved?
we are all here to learn
IIRC your track attempts to recreate a pop four-to-the-floor edm formula but with "retro" percussion. In a modern club or pop radio (with a singer) context your drums would be replaced by the mixing engineer with something influenced by Manuel Schleis. Normally, I would give you the benefit of the doubt when interpreting the way you choose to express yourself, otherwise providing a large variety of resources to achieve the sound you're actually looking for, but given that you gave me a 1, I have no idea why you're asking me about anything. I could just give you and The Chase the benefit of the doubt and assume that you accidentally voted on an opposite rating scale.
Granted, even Jasinski, one of the most dominant entrants, thought that the second place winner made an average track, so who knows about tastes here anyway.

Obviously if you're copying a templatic approach you risk being forgotten as your music can become a dated poor reproduction of briefly commercially successful cannon fodder, which is part of the point I was initially making. That doesn't make it bad, https://youtu.be/cBDJDZAo41c?t=1
(heck, one of my first electronic albums I bought was because of the rather memorable 4x4 pop single "I'm Blue," which btw I recently learned was what the champion Fatal1ty would listen to, in its entirety, between matches), as long as there are people balancing the increasingly homogenized, lemming trends by being unique, creative, and experimenting. (the relevant section is at 4:55) https://youtu.be/TgFdics3uKo?t=455
It doesn't get more liberating to do so, than with a free synthesizer and plugins available to everyone. The challenge then, is to let go and make sure that you're true to yourself and your unique expressiveness, even if it may not immediately please others!

More specifically, there were some production issues in some tracks for which I'd recommend a gate for managing transients. Any standard monitoring headphone (in the ~$60-$100 USD range), at around speaking volume, should be dynamic enough to identify this. Soft percussion can blunt the impact of the music, whereas harsh transients can cause the greatest of compositions to unfortunately become unlistenable. You don't have to record drums daily like I do to get a feel for it, but it did take a lot of experience with percussion synthesizers like drumatic, and the analysis of Manuel Schleis' drum sample transient, body, and tail pieces, to at least get to the point of percussion synthesis that I've reached.

The only reason to feel bad about an OSC rating is if it motivates you to practice creating more things. If it doesn't, forget about it and practice creating more things. 8)
quick, _ake what you want in life

Congrats everyone!
This was my first time OSC and even without a finished track ended 11th place i am really shocked (in a good way). Synth1 has always been a fav of mine and will be ,for sure.

That said, i can really hear that the top5 has mastered their synth skills, and hearing free synths can be so productive and fullfilling i wil continue the OSC for more times for sure.

This month, the Scroo however didn't get me. I am not really a fan of the character the synth has. But i will keep an eye out, for more "suitable" OSC's like this one.
Really learned a lot in this first time.

First have to get out and buy me a new Laptop, then i hope some synths to my taste will appear on this OSC journey. :)

P. S.

Condolences with your Cat ,dB!
I hope you feel better soon, as your other loved ones around you. Our cat died too, a year ago. Still in our hearts though, and never will fade.

TrojakEW wrote:The sooner you forget about those points and all ranks here the better. OSC is about improving your skills. You have done good job. Your next goal is not to rise in this chart but to learn more. Some people born with talent and while other (like most of us) need to get them through hard practice. Still don't forget even these with born in talent need to practise otherwise they will be forgoten. Perfection can not be obtained and there is always something new to learn.
Very well said. :clap:

My journey is/was like this. Started at the bottom, finally rising to around halfway most of the time, with the odd one or two tracks getting to the top 5. It's a learning process ... :party:

dB

PS. Thanks for all your kind words about my cat, much appreciated. 16yr old Grand Champion Persian tortoiseshell. I used to breed an show cats, so they have been a big part of my life. Mainly Red Colourpoint Persians (Himalayans to my USA friends).

"but given that you gave me a 1, I have no idea why you're asking me about anything. I could just give you and The Chase the benefit of the doubt and assume that you accidentally voted on an opposite rating scale."
I didn´t want to offend you, or anybody.
I gave 1 pts to every song i liked because these songs gets the most points anyway.

Congratulations to the winner!

It is a shame about NeverScene. I really liked his track! May be next round his work won't be ruined by unpleasant circumstances.

The 2nd place is a suprise for me. As someone above said "pretty avarege track" as it actually is. I've entered the world of music creation about a year ago, learning stuff and making some experiments on the weekends. This track wasn't the best of them. I hoped to stretch my fingers to 5th place, now i got 2nd. I am shoked, guys...

Thanks everyone for your votes and feedback on SoundCloud, it is so vital to me! With all your support, my new hobby was finally legitimized.

As a prize, I woud like to have Diversion by Dmitry Sches...
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Er, um, prize....... I think I'll try the SynthMaster One! Thanks! :D

Even though I thought there were some issues with your track, VCA-089, and I was a bit surprised to see you so high on the charts over some other, personal favorites, it must be said: You've made remarkable progress if you only started making music a year ago!

I don't even dare to think about what I was concocting a mere year after I started out - I don't think I'd even started to consider mixing in terms of the stereo field - or automation, for that matter. Different times, but still! So very well done.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Same as Seth, the more new people to place, the better for the spirit of the competition.

Return to “Instruments”