Pyre - Elegy [NEW]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=911DURF ... e=youtu.be

Main line is Reaktor Skanner.
Different uses of Absynth than lately.
Numerous <bowed> things, again, some sounding 'blown'. Not the e. cello, however.

Slow. Again.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Feedback

Music - ?
Instruments - ?
Performance - ?
Mix - ?

Overall - ?

Comments: I'm picturing this poor guy skulking around some dark corners about to be attacked by some godless creature of the night. Incredible how such little sound (this was not your usual piece) can conjure up such images. I see I'm going to need to use the Vurt scoring system for this one.

This is v not typical of earlier stuff I have heard of yours, its stark, with faint whispers of sounds and very sombre with only a few tight strings which have a kabuki feeling to them, the bass added gives a good grounding.
The mix sounds good and the instrumentation is finely carved to add a overall feeling of sadness.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Actually this is an outgrowth of the Nuages series. Only I did not use the clouds Absynths type of basis.
In fact, after the introductory business there is plainly a melodic through-line 'til the end. And by the end that's practically tonal.

Instruments besides Skanner and two instances of Absynth:
SonicCouture Glassworks Bowed Chamber Bowls, again;
Impact Soundworks Bowed Stonaphone, again;
" " Stoneship Gate;
VSL Glass Instruments Bottle;
VSL Piccolo flute;
VSL Bass flute;
Spitfire Electric Cello;
VSL various cymbals and TamTams;
BFD3, particularly Sabian Digital Vault (actually a BFD 2-era lib.)

It's very textural.

Eauson wrote:This is v not typical of earlier stuff I have heard of yours, its stark, with faint whispers of sounds and very sombre with only a few tight strings which have a kabuki feeling to them, the bass added gives a good grounding.
The mix sounds good and the instrumentation is finely carved to add a overall feeling of sadness.
Thanks for that, that's a pretty good description of the happenings. Donno why Wags is so baffled.

this, OTOH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6BWJgZuWk

goes out there a ways

some additions;
spooky things...
I been working with VSL Synchron FX Strings I.
it's a beautiful thing
this is a beautiful thing.png
https://youtu.be/STfGJW14-B8

corrected revision^
Nuendo kept missing this one keyswitch, I don't get it.
now slightly higher gain to 2-file

all very subtle so far, and in this will stay subtle. I'm so subtle here I may evaporate.
this is fully baked now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.

jancivil wrote: ...I'm so subtle here I may evaporate.
:hihi:

There’s not a lot of it here, but your drums programming is really something.
And those strings...
Well done.

Thank you.

What happened there is that Skanner during that passage was pulsing against the time as displayed (which had no real kind of point yet). I'm weird like that and noticed, the number of quarter notes added up to 20. So I'd counted the LFO pulses before the part moves to the lower octave tone: 48. So this fascinated me, it's potentially 5 in the time of 12. That's a real tensor. So I increased the 'scaling' of the LFO to 81% to feel it more. I like it.

It happened fast. I intended to do something more with it but it had a flow to it. It amounted to an introductory sort of dirge before the tune starts.

It's hopeless. Inevitable hopelessness made audible.
The video is hopeless too, it's how I feel right now about that very subject depicted.
Thanks for sharing your music.

It's funny how things come out. I wasn't trying to express anything starting out with this. I never am.
This was very experimental in the sense of the initial work with Absynth.

By the time the melody was formed, it felt very elegiac. I knew what that was rather soon afterwards.
By the time I had a fleshed-out track I sought and found that signal of distress in a video.

jancivil wrote:
Eauson wrote:This is v not typical of earlier stuff I have heard of yours, its stark, with faint whispers of sounds and very sombre with only a few tight strings which have a kabuki feeling to them, the bass added gives a good grounding.
Thanks for that, that's a pretty good description of the happenings. Donno why Wags is so baffled.

this, OTOH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6BWJgZuWk

goes out there a ways
Yes, this is v much a less is more kinda piece. :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

"....and like that, he's gone"

Some kinda oriental, jazz vibe going on, maybe. It certainly felt like a lot less than 3 minutes.

Good work :)

thank yous

'less is more' is very nice. I have yet to get any distance from this. It's pretty somber it seems to me.

I did leave space between, particularly the thundersheet and fireworks Absynth patch and the sort of alien chatter patch, so when they come in it 'means' something. In the end this is 24 MIDI tracks, though. Originally it was just those two patches, yet I changed my M.O. from having the two Absynth tracks as the basis for the overall shape. The through-line of Skanner was, and the effects serve that.

Someone seemingly trolled me at Youtube, on a Nuages 3 upload telling me I used to make some interesting music but now all I do is sound FX videos, maybe good for psychedelia or something. I wonder if certain Ligeti strikes them similarly. Or it was just somebody trolling me to see if I would react. No.

Ya has to really listen. And some music you can't be listening to really if you're in the opposite mood of, unless you're going to suspend that and surrender.

Return to “Music Cafe”