8DIO - My experience

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jedinhopy wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread:
But did Lacrimosa work for Kontakt versions below v5.4?

Even if the 8dio product page said:
(Full Retail Version of Kontakt 5.5 (or later) Required) .
Btw. I am a bit curious why you can not update to current Kontakt. Incompatibility issues?
(Operating System) Incompatibility, is due to (Native Instruments) , and not 8DIO's fault.
Ok, no promblem for the "highjack" since it is a bit related.

What platform do you have and what do NI say about your upgrade issues?

I have not mentioned it before, but maybe I should have. When I discovered that Lacrimosa was no good for me I contacted both NI and 8Dio and asked if I could get a refunded for my licenses. I bought Kontakt full just to play the Lacrimosa. I did this just after 8Dio refused to trade the Lacrimosa into some other instrument. NI were willing to help me aout and gave me some options. The day after NI launched their summer upgrade campaign and made me a great offer on upgrading to Komplete. Meanwhile I got no offer of any kind from 8Dio so I took NI's offer and got a bunch of really nice instruments.

As for testing Lacrimosa on 5.4, no I just installed the latest version right away and never tried anything else. Maybe I could downgrade and test it, but I don't want to do that. If it seems to work for me, but then does not work for you I strongly expect that 8Dio will not do anything, but to point out that is is not supposed to work and you will have lost that money forever. I would not gamble on it if I were you. Don't buy anything from 8Dio unless you have seen it working and is 100% sure that it will do exactly what you need.

GearNostalgia wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
Jedinhopy wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread:
But did Lacrimosa work for Kontakt versions below v5.4?

Even if the 8dio product page said:
(Full Retail Version of Kontakt 5.5 (or later) Required) .
Btw. I am a bit curious why you can not update to current Kontakt. Incompatibility issues?
(Operating System) Incompatibility, is due to (Native Instruments) , and not 8DIO's fault.
Ok, no promblem for the "highjack" since it is a bit related.

What platform do you have and what do NI say about your upgrade issues?

I have not mentioned it before, but maybe I should have. When I discovered that Lacrimosa was no good for me I contacted both NI and 8Dio and asked if I could get a refunded for my licenses. I bought Kontakt full just to play the Lacrimosa. I did this just after 8Dio refused to trade the Lacrimosa into some other instrument. NI were willing to help me aout and gave me some options. The day after NI launched their summer upgrade campaign and made me a great offer on upgrading to Komplete. Meanwhile I got no offer of any kind from 8Dio so I took NI's offer and got a bunch of really nice instruments.

As for testing Lacrimosa on 5.4, no I just installed the latest version right away and never tried anything else. Maybe I could downgrade and test it, but I don't want to do that. If it seems to work for me, but then does not work for you I strongly expect that 8Dio will not do anything, but to point out that is is not supposed to work and you will have lost that money forever. I would not gamble on it if I were you. Don't buy anything from 8Dio unless you have seen it working and is 100% sure that it will do exactly what you need.
I am still on:
Windows XP.
And will use, (windows xp) , a few years more.

Jedinhopy wrote:I am still on:
Windows XP.
XP? Wow :tu:

Why?

GearNostalgia wrote:
Windows XP.

Why?
I have tried using (windows 7) , one time.

1. I didn't like the feel of it.

2. The look is different.

3. The windows volume control panel works differently.
Like if you change the volume of one volume slider.
All the others get's changed too. Can be directly seen visually.

4. Each program/application get's it's own volume slider.
Maybe makes it impossible for the volume setting in (winamp) , to affect windows play control (Wave) , and (MIDI Synth).

5. Extra steps is required to change the viewed folder in the windows explorer address bar.
The address bar is treated like an object and not like an text field at the first mouse click there.
You have to click more than one time to change the text of the folder.

6. When you hover over a folder at the taskbar.
You see thumbnail images of all currently opened folders. Instead of only seeing text where they are located.

7. The behaviors and visuals of copy/pasting and replacing files/folders.
Does not work the same as it did in windows xp. The look and feel is different too.

8. (Documents and Settings) and (Application Data) + (Local Data) + (Common Files).
Is not as accessible as before. Because, (admin rights) are everywhere.
Windows does not trust installers anymore.
Windows, (admin rights) , comes into effect halfway into the software installation process.
And having to allow that program/application/software, permission,
before the software installation completes.

Jedinhopy wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
Windows XP.

Why?
I have tried using (windows 7) , one time.

1. I didn't like the feel of it.

2. The look is different.
Yes, I can relate to that. There were a lot fo things I did not like about win7 and win10 annoyed me a lot too in the beginning, but I have to much bad experiences with old drivers to stay on an old playform so I follow the upgrade paths from now on. Respect that you keep it up and running.

Haven't acquired any 8Dio products yet, and to be fair...just wondering! Hum!!

benheman wrote:Haven't acquired any 8Dio products yet, and to be fair...just wondering! Hum!!
What are you wondering about? If it is about some specific product you better investigate it on forums and have some other user post a demo about it.

benheman wrote:Haven't acquired any 8Dio products yet, and to be fair...just wondering! Hum!!
Perc is good. Got all the epic drums over here and nothin bad to say. All good imo. Aint gonna touch the rest of it cus I heard whats up but they aint bad if you know what you are gettin...

Armagibbon wrote:
Perc is good. Got all the epic drums over here and nothin bad to say. All good imo. Aint gonna touch the rest of it cus I heard whats up but they aint bad if you know what you are gettin...
Yes, the problem is that another user may want to use another part of the library that you have not played. So the only way to know is to find a review where somebody use it exactly as you intend to use it yourself. I f**ked up myself by only watching demos of other parts of the Lacrimosa and not expected the flaws that turned up in the part I wanted to use. If you have time to make a full review of the Perc it may be useful to those that consider it.

Not much to review bout the perc tbh... sounds like it does in the vids only a lil better cus no mp3 compression. No noise or studio cats chattin or shit like that. I mean its real hard to f*ck up a perc lib ahahaha

Armagibbon wrote:Not much to review bout the perc tbh... sounds like it does in the vids only a lil better cus no mp3 compression. No noise or studio cats chattin or shit like that. I mean its real hard to f*ck up a perc lib ahahaha
Guess so, not much sustain in percussion :)

I dont encourange pirating, but because most libraries are not transferable later on i tend to try them before buy (at least until latest kontakt update, now you cant even demo kontakt player libraries anymore). I also suggest you to do the same before buying. I lost already over 400 eu on libraries because real world expierience does not reflect even the deepest walkthroughs and sample libraries do cost alot. :-|

Therefore from me a big minus goes to Native Instruments for making kontakt player unable to demo player licences.

Its not Kontakt related but big plus goes to IK Multimedia because they did gave me product swap when i bought Syntronik Galaxy.

Elektronisch wrote:I dont encourange pirating, but because most libraries are not transferable later on i tend to try them before buy (at least until latest kontakt update, now you cant even demo kontakt player libraries anymore). I also suggest you to do the same before buying. I lost already over 400 eu on libraries because real world expierience does not reflect even the deepest walkthroughs and sample libraries do cost alot. :-|

Therefore from me a big minus goes to Native Instruments for making kontakt player unable to demo player licences.

Its not Kontakt related but big plus goes to IK Multimedia because they did gave me product swap when i bought Syntronik Galaxy.
I can see the logic of using piracycopies for demos in the absence of legal demos, but I have been fortunate to not have any virus crap ruining my setup for over 20 years since I stopped installing copies of software that I got from friends or downloads. That aspect is worth a lot for me. And I rather stay away piracry stuff even if that means that there are a lot of brands that I also have to stay away from cause the have the same kind of rubbish terms as 8Dio.

Agree. I did suggest it to all developers to take it up with NI to make it easier to put out demos of their libraries and handle transfers in Kontakt. Hope some do.

As for IK Multimedia. Glad the did the right thing to keep a good business relation with you. I browsed through their terms, but I could not find any clause that supprot a swap policy. You may have found the list of terms I have set up in another thread. If there is a clause I will gladly add them to a good place, but if they did it without a clause I can not add them. But You can post your experience with them in that thread and each reader can make up his mind if that is good enough "evidence" to expect them to do the same again.

Piracy aint an option if you do this legit. Only thing we can do is make honest demos for our homies if we got the lib. My rules? If it aint perc or loops I aint gonna buy new samples if I cant play it myself at trade shows or see it played by pro cats I know and trust... and they aint on youtube and they dont buy new shit all that much ahahaha

And be prepared to get slammed by NFR fanboys and reps, even after the company acknowledges
issue those hardcore trumpsters will still try and cut you down ;-)
Armagibbon wrote:POnly thing we can do is make honest demos for our homies if we got the lib.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”