Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
T-RackS Group Buy! Up to 5 free mixing and mastering processors!

T-RackS Group Buy

Easy-to-reach tiers, up to 5 free processors.

Mixing and mastering processors, including Lurssen Mastering Console.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
Winstontaneous
KVRian

1347 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA

Postby Winstontaneous; Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Russell Grand wrote:
badass_billy wrote:Tokyo Dawn Labs are the best by a long shot. In many ways, superior to the Ren Comp.

Tokyo Dawn stuff is decent for sure, but I'm not a fan of the knob behavior. One has to put way too much pressure to get the knobs to turn and for me it's frustrating to use. If it was smoother, it would be in my top 10 but as it stands now, I can't recommend. :shrug:

Just spray a little De-Oxit on the shaft and you're set ;-)

Honestly one of the things I like about the TDR stuff (other than awesome sonic performance) is the solidity of the knob response.
Orbit-50
KVRAF

2102 posts since 28 Jun, 2005, from La La Land

Postby Orbit-50; Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 pm Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

:)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.
imrae
KVRist

323 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Postby imrae; Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

I'd be very careful about redesigning the Renaissance plugins; the skins may be a little dated but the usability is superb.

The free compressors mentioned are mostly excellent and I use Kotelnikov more than RenComp... but it's a very different kind of compressor. I don't see a good drop-in replacement here for "simple smashy". DC1A maybe.
rifftrax
KVRAF

1684 posts since 26 Feb, 2008

Postby rifftrax; Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Antress Seventh Sign for sure. Kicks so much ass
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"
Mathematics
KVRist

275 posts since 10 Sep, 2015, from You haven't unlocked this character yet

Postby Mathematics; Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Melda MCompressor and TDR Kotelnikov are good sounding (and 64-bit) but the problem is that there are 4 common types of compressors and depending on the type of material, there isn't a one-size fits all compressor if you really care about quality of sound. These are my free choices that I recommend to friends starting up with digital music.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"
ENV1
KVRAF

2276 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

I dont know if it is the best free alternative (because i dont know the Waves), but JB RedPhatt Pro has ratios that go from 0.1 to INF.

(Plural because you get control over both ends of the knee, i.e. it has 2 Ratio knobs.)

This compressor can be very aggressive and is excellent for drums and drummachines. It can turn stuff which by itself sounds rather mushy and undefined into hard and explosive. (And in a very nice way too i might add, i can post an audio example if theres interest.) At the same time it is also very versatile because you have a very wide range of control. It is still very simple to use though because it only has a handful of controls. It used to be payware but was eventually made free.

Jeroen (now ToneBoosters) doesnt offer it on his website anymore but the archive he released (which contains all of his legacy plugins including the Pro versions), is still available on wayback.

redphattpro.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
recko
KVRer

3 posts since 29 Jun, 2008

Postby recko; Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, dogs and cats and the whole planet! :D

I really owe you a big thanks for your work, time and advices. I tried many and many of your advices after night shift, but before I go to sleep ->

The winners are:

1st: Jeroen Breebaart :
Red Phatt Pro
(http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Red_Phatt_Pro&id=2066)
This one will be perfect for every sound type, especially for drums :) The 'Ratio 2' knob is a genius invention :D

2nd: Cocko's ReaXcomp
It's a multiband compressor, but if you have enough time and patience you can use it for everything :) I'll use it for basses and pads imo :)

Both of winners are able to less than 1.0 ratio!

Thank you everybody, Waves can do a favor from now ;)
heavymetalmixer
KVRist

189 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Postby heavymetalmixer; Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:42 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

recko wrote:Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, dogs and cats and the whole planet! :D

I really owe you a big thanks for your work, time and advices. I tried many and many of your advices after night shift, but before I go to sleep ->

The winners are:

1st: Jeroen Breebaart :
Red Phatt Pro

This one will be perfect for every sound type, especially for drums :) The 'Ratio 2' knob is a genius invention :D

2nd: Cocko's ReaXcomp
It's a multiband compressor, but if you have enough time and patience you can use it for everything :) I'll use it for basses and pads imo :)

Both of winners are able to less than 1.0 ratio!

Thank you everybody, Waves can do a favor from now ;)

Are you sure you wanna use Red Phatt Pro? There's a reason why people have problems using 32 bit VSTs inside 64 bit DAW: JBridge doesn't report latency to the DAW, and the more 32 bit VSTs you use the more desync you have for those tracks.
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Red Phatt Pro is zero latency.
heavymetalmixer
KVRist

189 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Postby heavymetalmixer; Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

ENV1 wrote:Red Phatt Pro is zero latency.

Have you tested that in a 32 bit DAW?
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:16 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

VSTHost has an Info function which shows how much latency (Initial Delay) a plugin has.

JB Broadcast for example reports 1536 samples.

JB Barricade Pro reports 512.

JB Smash Pro reports 1024.

JB Red Phatt Pro reports none.
do_androids_dream
KVRAF

2755 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Reacomp by Reaper......maybe.

Ren Comp is quite good. It has a dark color and drop dead simple. The two above are a bit more complex but should get your in the ballpark.

I hate to criticise.. there may well be a lot of answers in this thread like this (I see there is)..

Neither of these compressors sound like Ren comp at all. Ren comp has a distortion (aka colour) and a slightly squishy, dark sound. It's also a pretty unique sound - there's not much I've come across that sounds like it.

It would be nice, in these type of threads, if there was an attempt to stick to compressors that actually have a fair amount in common with the plugin to be replaced - not just a 'here's my favourite compressor' response.

Nothing really springs to mind other than Bootsie's Nasty VCS channel strip compressor which can sound similar. Ren comp is quite unique.
The Noodlist
KVRist

73 posts since 15 Aug, 2017, from UK

Postby The Noodlist; Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

RedAmption
KT-C I would say this is the closet to the one you mentioned.
MJUC jr
jsComp
5ORCERY
Antress
FL4TT3RY 2
jsCompShaper
SLAX
GComp
GComp2
GMulti
Hybrid Bus Compressor This thing has a load of usable options :tu:
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
badass_billy
KVRist

61 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Postby badass_billy; Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:24 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

do_androids_dream wrote:Neither of these compressors sound like Ren comp at all.

One of his requirements is it has to be free.

Beggars can't be choosers.
swatwork
KVRist

253 posts since 12 Jul, 2006

Postby swatwork; Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 am Re: Best FREE alternative of Waves Renassaince Compressor

Russell Grand wrote:
badass_billy wrote:Tokyo Dawn Labs are the best by a long shot. In many ways, superior to the Ren Comp.

Tokyo Dawn stuff is decent for sure, but I'm not a fan of the knob behavior. One has to put way too much pressure to get the knobs to turn and for me it's frustrating to use. If it was smoother, it would be in my top 10 but as it stands now, I can't recommend. :shrug:

Yes, I find the default (velocity-based) knob behaviour uncomfortable but it's easily changed in the settings (click the wheel icon in the titlebar).
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects