Dynacomp / Ross / Keeley style compressor plugin for guitar

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

been using amp sims lately to greater extent, namely S-Gear (amazing!)

i need a plugin that will be able to give me the well known country twang easily.

looking forward to your recommendations!

I found one compressor plugin officially based on Ross and Dynacomp design. It's included in IK Multimedia AmpliTube Custom Shop (free) + DComp in-app-purchase (cheap).

Ross/Dynacomp is not accurately VCA nor FET design. It's OTA.
OTA stands for Operational Transconductance Amplifier, which is a chip like a VCA except its output is variable current, not voltage. It refers to a specific circuit design based around the CA3080 chip (or a modern replacement for it like the LM13700), which is the basis for the Ross, Dynacomp, Keeley, Wampler, and probably 90% of all comp pedals on the market. Most "boutique" comps, with all their claims about refinements and developments for ultimate tone, are just versions of this one very simple circuit--sometimes with no improvements other than a fancy paint job and a 3PDT footswitch. Its envelope is a bit hard to describe, but it happens to work really well for guitars.

Source: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/comptypes.shtml

Etienne1973 wrote:I found one compressor plugin officially based on Ross and Dynacomp design. It's included in IK Multimedia AmpliTube Custom Shop (free) + DComp in-app-purchase (cheap).

Ross/Dynacomp is not accurately VCA nor FET design. It's OTA.
OTA stands for Operational Transconductance Amplifier, which is a chip like a VCA except its output is variable current, not voltage. It refers to a specific circuit design based around the CA3080 chip (or a modern replacement for it like the LM13700), which is the basis for the Ross, Dynacomp, Keeley, Wampler, and probably 90% of all comp pedals on the market. Most "boutique" comps, with all their claims about refinements and developments for ultimate tone, are just versions of this one very simple circuit--sometimes with no improvements other than a fancy paint job and a 3PDT footswitch. Its envelope is a bit hard to describe, but it happens to work really well for guitars.

Source: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/comptypes.shtml
i know of it. thank you for sharing. but this is a 10 year old "emulation", i remember trying it before and it barely did it to me unfortunately.

Maybe then try Kuassa Efektor CP3603 compressor plugin. Based on comp pedals. No exact OTA design mode available but eventually VCA or FET mode will get you there.

interesting find. thank you! i might have a look into them.

i found recommendations online for:

Klanghelm MUJC
Sonalksis SV-315Mk2
Softube FETpressor

would be interesting to hear what you guys have ACTUAL experience with.

shoma wrote:This one is quite nice

http://distorqueaudio.com/plugins/vitamin-c.html
nice! and free. i'll give it a whirl!
albeit this isn't a Ross type compressor - still looking for a candidate.

tristan- wrote:
shoma wrote: albeit this isn't a Ross type compressor - still looking for a candidate.
If you're after something like MXR DynaComp or the Ross-Pedal...just give it a whirl. Distorque Vtamin C can give you quite similar results

A little late to the party, but try Comp76 by Fazertone. Beside the name it doesn't emulate an 1176 but a DynaComp pedal. Oh and it's also free

The Dyna Comp came out in 1976, hence the name. I love the Fazertone plugin. It’s what I use for a guitar compression pedal. Though I wouldn’t mind an Audiority Dyna Comp model.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Just buy or make one. There are countless versions, some quite cheap (like $30). You won't get the degree of control you can get with a plugin but this kind of compressor is not subtle anyway.

Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Instead of slogging through all these different plugins, you might want to just grab a real dynacomp pedal. They don't cost much more than a typical plugin.

ampetrosillo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:09 pm Just buy or make one. There are countless versions, some quite cheap (like $30). You won't get the degree of control you can get with a plugin but this kind of compressor is not subtle anyway.
kevinsparks wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:23 pm Instead of slogging through all these different plugins, you might want to just grab a real dynacomp pedal. They don't cost much more than a typical plugin.
How would you tweak that after you recorded?

And why is that a better option than the free Fazertone plugin modeled with machine learning that was mentioned?

https://www.fazertone.com/plugin/comp76
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

They're looking for a plugin modeled after those comps, one of which a real deal hardware version can be had for approx $50. It has THAT SOUND, so there shouldn't really be any tweaking that part later on. Committing can be cool!

I'm sure the Fazertone plug is very good, but even you said it yourself: "Though I wouldn’t mind an Audiority Dyna Comp model."

Getting the real pedal comp avoids the constant dragon-chasing and wasting time & money downloading/buying 20 different recommendations

Return to “Effects”