Diva vs. Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you are a synth beginner i suggest getting repro, everything is much simpler and more streamlined, so easier to discover all the features step by step. Soundwise I like them both, a lot.

Also, there is the one thing about U-He as a company that I find truly amazing and that's the demos. Take your time, play with both of the synths and then you can still decide after weeks.

I have both. Diva is amazing but I find it's a little more work to find all those sweet spots. This is partly the massive scope you have I think and other part is my lack of experience in sound design. I've owned Diva since 2012 but I'm primarily a composer not a sound designer so the process has been slow as it's not my main area of focus. All that said you can whip up simpler sounds quickly as well.

I love the Moog oscillator modules with Jupiter filters and envelopes. That combination produces some classic sounds very quickly if you stick to using just two oscillators. The Jupiter "Ideal" or "Analogue2" are also awesome. And I think they really nailed the Alpha Juno.

I think if you want classic Roland sound Diva is the way.

The Repro is great too. I love the 1 and I've not put in enough time with the 5 in order to give an opinion here. If I had to pick just one though I'd say the Diva because of the sheer scope.

pdxindy wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:My general thought about all this "how close to the original is the VST- discussion" is clear. Why should you use sounds which have been used by unnumbered artists over decades over and over again? To sound like Pink Floyd or whatnot? Isn´t it more interesting to not sound like them and move away from all the overused sounds, techniques and effects and find a way to express something which was created by ourselves? DIVA is perfect for that kind of thing and if that isn´t enough use a granular synthesis tool with DIVA, a real guitar amp or sample DIVA and do a re-sampling in a PPG-Wavetable synthesizer. You would be surprised :)

Cheers
Both Diva and RePro can sound completely original... particularly when one includes the capability of DAW automation/modulation...

And of course, two people can use the same sound and have a very different result...

On the other hand... I'd be very happy if I sounded like Pink Floyd :D
:lol: :tu:

Urs wrote:
AnX wrote:
Urs wrote:
Prophets OTOH go to 70+kHz when pushed to extremes. That's the difference you hear.

Hear?
At a cutoff frequency of 35+kHz there's no attenuation at 10kHz. That is what follows from my explanation :)
Where does the (technical) design of Zebra fit in this story?

Stefken wrote:Where does the (technical) design of Zebra fit in this story?
The discussion, as I understand it, involves Repro and Diva always having a filter in the per-voice signal path. Zebra2 is semi-modular and has no such restriction: just remove all VCFs and XMFs from your signal chain and you have pure oscillator sounds. I'd be very surprised if this changed for Z3.

Or were you asking about the quality of the upcoming Z3 oscillators?
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
Stefken wrote:Where does the (technical) design of Zebra fit in this story?
The discussion, as I understand it, involves Repro and Diva always having a filter in the per-voice signal path. Zebra2 is semi-modular and has no such restriction: just remove all VCFs and XMFs from your signal chain and you have pure oscillator sounds. I'd be very surprised if this changed for Z3.

Or were you asking about the quality of the upcoming Z3 oscillators?
No, my question is: what is the design of the filter(s) in Zebra 2?
I understand Repro has a 'brighter' filter and Diva has 'muffled' filters.
How are the filters in Zebra?
* Are they all of the 'muffled' kind or are some 'muffled' and some 'bright'?
* Are there exact emulations of analog filters like in Repro or not (I guess not).

DIVA has also very cool and gritty sounding digital filters. Why don't you simply demo it?

Stefken wrote:How are the filters in Zebra?
* Are there exact emulations of analog filters like in Repro or not (I guess not).
There are purely digital models as well as analogue ones, but none as elaborately modelled as those in Diva or Repro (and also not as CPU intensive, of course).

Urs wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am
There are purely digital models as well as analogue ones, but none as elaborately modelled as those in Diva or Repro (and also not as CPU intensive, of course).
Will diva get any future updates ? And will they be expensive ie : say if a version 2 came out ? Cheers urs

nokturnal1979 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm
Will diva get any future updates ? And will they be expensive ie : say if a version 2 came out ? Cheers urs
Diva is our best selling product. Of course we will update it substantially. But not this year.

As rule of thumb: Upgrade cost = new major version number x 10€. Example: Zebra 1.x -> 2.x was 20 bucks. Hive 1.x -> 2.x = 20€. Zebra 2.x -> 3.x = 30€. If we can keep that up, I'd reckon Diva 1.x -> 2.x = 20€, depending on if/when/ho it materializes.

Urs wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:39 pm
nokturnal1979 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm
Diva is our best selling product. Of course we will update it substantially. But not this year.

As rule of thumb: Upgrade cost = new major version number x 10€. Example: Zebra 1.x -> 2.x was 20 bucks. Hive 1.x -> 2.x = 20€. Zebra 2.x -> 3.x = 30€. If we can keep that up, I'd reckon Diva 1.x -> 2.x = 20€, depending on if/when/ho it materializes.
cheers urs yeah its an awesome synth and the upgrade prices you have are excellent glad i bought it :-)

I don't find bugs in the current DIVA version but want to see that Volta Skin updated. Repro models the Prophet-5 and Pro One just right.

Diva will get you access to a wide range of synth sounds. There are probably close to 100 DIVA banks by now. You even have some doing the Roland Jupiter 8 and Oberheim factory patches.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Go to Volta skin thread, Plugmon explained how to add the new preset browser in.

i prefer the sound of Repro :/

I definitely prefer Diva. Been demoing Repro now again and I guess I'm just not all that much of a fan of the hardware either (as the software is virtually identical sounding).

Diva can go from super soft and gentle to truly harsh and nasty and absolutely everything in-between. It's extremely flexible considering the basic layout. All those slightly hidden advanced features make it do things one can hardly imagine.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “u-he”