Tracktion seems to cut the sustain of any vst instrument after using the midi editor.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am having this issue where the duration of a vst sound gets really short. For example a normal piano sound ends up having no sustain at all. I believe this happens when I use quantize on the midi editor or messing around moving notes in the editor. I have to reset the audio engine for the instrument to play notes correctly again. This happens with a lot of vsti and on two different computers with a different midi keyboard. I am using waveform 8 btw. The latest update for 8.

Do you have "Loop" turned on but the transport playhead to the right of the "out marker" by any chance?

When I press play everything works fine. The problem appears when I play with my midi keyboard or write notes in the midi editor. The only way to fix it is to reset the audio engine. Its really weird cause it appears only in those two cases not when the track is playing.

Right, but that doesn't answer my specific questions...
Perhaps sending a short screen capture video to support@tracktion.com of the problem would help?

The difficulty with this is that there are hundreds of possible configurations we'd need to try with MIDI notes, transport position, groover/quantise settings etc. Having a video might let us spot where the mistake is much more quickly.

Cheers, Dave

Ok I will try to make a video demonstrating the problem.

I can reproduce this easily in Waveform 9, by enabling a loop and then placing the transport head to the right of the "out marker".

Move the transport head back into the loop region, and sustain is on again!

"Reset" also clears it.

If I have notes in the clip extending beyond the "out marker", this issue only seems to occur after playing the loop at least once. Otherwise, it happens as soon as I move the head out past the last note and the marker.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

This is and old post, but I get something similar in Waveform 12 FREE.

When I loop a midi track for AIR's Strike drum plugin, "Latch" mode is turned off at end of loop because it is tied to the "Sustain" CC-66 which is automatically turned off by Waveform at the end of the loop... Waveform also sends "Hold" CC-64 a 0 value at end of loop.

I cannot find a way to disable this function in Waveform. Is there anyway to disable this behavior ?

Thanks.

mpoirier wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:56 pm I cannot find a way to disable this function in Waveform. Is there anyway to disable this behavior ?
I'm pretty sure that this is a different issue. Waveform sends out zeros for MIDI CC 64 and 66 so that notes can start properly at the start of the loop. That's only a problem when plugin makers think that those CC data can be re-purposed for something else.

I don't know of any way to change Waveform to not send out those CC commands. Hopefully there is a way to change the default MIDI CC settings of your plugins.

The truncated note issue is different. I think that Waveform is actually mal-forming the MIDI note data somehow. (Or just ignoring the length part of the data?) Next time it crops up I will put the MIDI Monitor on the track and see what it says about note duration.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

You can run MIDI-filters to completely ignore all CC64 and 66, if that doesn't interfere with the operation of the plugin otherwise... Not sure about selectively enabling and disabling the plugin if you DO require it mid-loop and not at start/end though.

Built-in Waveform MIDI CC would allow you to remap to something meaningless and get ignored; and there are some freeware MIDI modifiers that have a pretty comprehensive set of "unusual" things you can do with MIDI controls.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

I am currently using "CC value limiter" from "J’s MIDI tools" (freeware) to limit the "Hold" control to 127 value.
Works fine.
Thanks

Return to “Tracktion”