Favorite saturation/distortion and why.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use MMultibandWaveshaper for most of my straightforward distortion needs. I still use ohmicide for crazier stuff. I have lots more and various plugins that have waveshaping somewhere in their signal path that come in handy. The ne Scream affect from Cytomic is badass for a wide range of distortion.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

They are more or <<< saime. That’s my opinion anyways.

I disgaree they are all more or less the same. How they break up when pushed, how they can go from subtle to extreme dynamically, how they deal with aliasing and general suitability to mixing and/or mastering etc - sets one saturator apart from the next.

snufas wrote:They are more or <<< saime. That’s my opinion anyways.
Sounds like someone hasn't used them enough!

The new elysia Karacter is very nice, but I am torn between it and supercharger gt.
dedication to flying

Robmobius wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I have SPL TwinTube now, buss what is going to be my new favourite saturation plugin for the month!!
Twin Tube is cool. I have it as well... I wonder will they do a new version of it, like they did with the EQs and thier Transient Shaper.
Interesting thought. Just don't know what they should add to it. A mix knob?? An Alternate algorithm?? Although I have no suggestion for that.
It's a pretty simple plugin so I guess it doesn't need any new functions per se. But they might improve or add another distortion type (which would always be nice).

But as it stands now it's a great plugin.
Yeah I get you. Or like a Classic/New toggle button where you can chose from its current algorithm or a new and improved version. Especially with the specially chosen frequency bands. There's lots to play with there.

Resurrecting this thread just to say how much I love NI Driver, especially the sound when you push it near/over to self-oscillation using resonance. It's currently my go-to plugin for super dirty arp synth sounds and general filthiness.

SDRR already got a lot of love in this thread and I'm joining the bandwagon. So far I have mostly used it for adding saturation to drums and as a mild effect on the mix bus, but I still have a lot of experimenting to do with everything it's capable of. It's a steal for what it does!

For guitars and sometimes bass synths, I'm using Kazrog amp simulations. It's surprising (or perhaps not) how close you can get to a real bass sound by driving a simple bass synth sound through a bass amp and bass cabinet simulator. Of course the transients are quite different. Kazrog also has the best fuzz pedal sound I have heard in the Ram Fuzz, although Kuassa's Efektor Fuzz also sounded really good. Might have bought it if I didn't already have the Kazrog Complete Collection.

As far as my shopping list goes, Audio Damage and D16 distortion plugins look and sound really tasty... EDIT: And Saturn is being hyped enough that I probably have to demo it at some point.

Trash2 for many different sounds
Krush for distortion
The Drop for saturation and some dirt
GR5 Mulholland Drive a dash of
TH3 pedals like Taxi
Bit after purchase wasn't crazy about Cytomic pedal even at $29 maybe is too much tweaking needed for it.
Didn't like Efektor Kuassa demo either but like amps
Saturn was good but way too expensive for what it does comparably. Feel same way about their delay but love the ProQ2

Reasons foldback and scream distortion are pretty gnarly.

Bluebox is a nice subharmonic distortion that's probably my fave.

Eventide has some good distortions.

Digitechs synth wah has some good distortion sounds

Soundtoys distortions are good

Nomad factory has some nice distortions

If we're talking pedals too, then..

*drool*

Saturn has to be my favorite disto/saturation plugin. Great for complex effects and simple straight-forward distortion/saturation.

I also like the free Softube Saturation plugin and Logic's distortion plugin. Both are very simple and sound good to me.

DNR MixControl Pro has one of the best saturation i've heard.
It's not on sale anymore thought.

Violet CM.
Lindell 6X-500 CM
lVC-Audio White Pre  warm transient killer, can be driven hard.
lVC-Audio OMPre The demo sounded sweet.
lVC-Audio Phuzz, 7 separate multi-band saturation algorithms, for free.
Kanghelm  IVGI
TubeDriver v1.3
Nebula 3 free preamps, tubes and tapes. Including the free demos from Cupwise FX.
They sound good.

Worth checking out.
Airwindows Tape emulations
Console emulations
Kush Omega range

Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Soundtoys Decapitator by a country mile. Because it sounds like authentic distortion. They nailed it.

Klanghelm IVG2: very versatile, it's kinda console-type saturation, it even lets you choose how much peak compression you want with the ASYM MIX knob.

Wave Arts Tube Saturator Vintage: Very good tube saturation but it's REALLY CPU-hungry.

Audio Assault Headcrusher Free (only available in the VST4Free site now): I don't know what kind of saturation is this but it sounds really good and it has a "tone" knob like a guitar pedal. It's similar to the paid version of the same name and to Soundtoys Decapitator.

Any Airwindows saturation plugins: Airwindows have a lot of them and all of them sound awesome, there are even tape-like satuation plugins.

TDR SlickEQ: unlike what people think about this plugin, it's not just an EQ with a little saturation on it. It's actually an EQ with TWO saturation stages inside of it. The first is the EQ SAT button that only works if you boost, and the OUTPUT STAGE (with 4 colors to choose from) along with the CALIBRATE control (to adjust the ammount of saturation) that can be used as a pure saturation unit on its own without using the EQ part.

Softube Saturation Knob: tbh the fact that I need an iLok account for a free plugins is really annoying, but this plugin sounds good and it let's you focus on three different frequency ranges.

Return to “Effects”