Micro USB on USB hub. Silly question but what for?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought a USB hub for my Surface that also includes a Micro USB connection.

Can I connect a USB device to this such as a keyboard/mouse/audio interface or would it simply be to charge a phone?

This is the item if it matters: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172598621840

EDIT: Says on the listing what it's for :dog: :dog: :dog:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yeah, it's unusual but not unheard of. You could connect the Micro-B to a AC>USB adapter to provide external power for devices connected to the hub.
You'll probably start seeing USB-C jacks replacing the Micro-B jacks for these kinds of applications. Devices can draw power from the host or hosts can get power from an adapter with (correctly implemented) USB-C.

justin3am wrote:Yeah, it's unusual but not unheard of. You could connect the Micro-B to a AC>USB adapter to provide external power for devices connected to the hub.
You'll probably start seeing USB-C jacks replacing the Micro-B jacks for these kinds of applications. Devices can draw power from the host or hosts can get power from an adapter with (correctly implemented) USB-C.
Thanks for the info. If it's just for additional power then I doubt I'll be using it. Not to worry the purpose for the hub was the additional USB input.

No way to know until you try it. USB is the physical form factor and a general protocol. There are additional protocols governing what happens with and in relation to the data being transferred. So if input devices can work, and if audio devices can work, you're going to have to experiment. Pretty sure the Surface can handle it, not sure if the hub will allow it.

The other concern is if that USB port can supply enough energy to the devices, especially since you're possibly splitting it up among several. It's possible you could power one but not two at the same time. If they have external power then this is less of a concern. But an audio interface that runs solely on bus power would definitely expect a lot.

yellowmix wrote:No way to know until you try it. USB is the physical form factor and a general protocol. There are additional protocols governing what happens with and in relation to the data being transferred. So if input devices can work, and if audio devices can work, you're going to have to experiment. Pretty sure the Surface can handle it, not sure if the hub will allow it.

The other concern is if that USB port can supply enough energy to the devices, especially since you're possibly splitting it up among several. It's possible you could power one but not two at the same time. If they have external power then this is less of a concern. But an audio interface that runs solely on bus power would definitely expect a lot.
That's an interesting point I hadn't really given too much consideration to. I realise for multiple outlet hubs powered is always the preferred solution however for 2 (which is only 1 more) I figured it would be ok. Given I'll only be connecting a Korg NanoKontrol (draw is next to nothing) and a basic audio interface I still think I'll be fine.

The hub wasn't hugely expensive so I'm happy to take the risk in order to finalise my ultimate travel rig.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”