The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another one from "80s Squared". This is my response to Howard Jones' "New Song" which I also covered in this CD.

Old Song

What do you know it's the same old song
The same old chords and it's way too long
One we've heard ten times before
It's one we don't wanna hear no more
Still I have to sing it
Bring your bell and ring it
There's no way to stop it
Go on try to top it

What do you know here we go again
The same old song and it never ends
It will drive you mad as well
Howard Jones can burn in hell
Still I have to sing it
Go on try to top it

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... 0s-squared

From my upcoming CD "The Vocaloids Live At Carnegie Hall" my first full length track using my new VSL libraries and the MIR Sound Stage. I'm pleased with the results so I guess that's all that matters. I tried to go for as much of an authentic live feel as possible.

Take Me To The Stars

In the night I can see
All the things that haunt me
If I could change a thing
I would wish for eagles wings

And I can't let go
Of the things I know

But I dream in the day
Hope for you to come stay
Can not wait don't know how
Take me to the stars now

An adventure all its own
Will you take me to my new home
Can't go on
When all hope is gone
I'm pleading
Won't you take me
Won't you take me
To the stars

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... va-on-lead

Take me to the stars

I like certain aspects of this, however I get the feeling that you are angry, this is mainly down to the note hits, they feel fairly aggressive. The overall piece seems somewhat over powering in terms of sonics and possibly limiting, as if you are trying to force it to gel instead of allowing it to merge in a more pleasant manner. I listened first on a small scale mono speaker, this gave me a good impression of the levels, as I could hear the speaker struggle to cope with the volume, I then listened on headphones, I had to turn these down quite a bit in order to have a level which my ears could tolerate. I had the same things I have said here on my most recent effort, trying to get classical instrumentation to sit nicely together is really not that easy and on further listening on my SC upload can hear several sections which I will need to address.
I hope that you receive my words as someone who is trying to help, as you say, you spent a lot of time and effort to finish this, so I don't want you to see this and think that I am dismissing it entirely.
I will listen again and comment further if you wish.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:Take me to the stars

I like certain aspects of this, however I get the feeling that you are angry, this is mainly down to the note hits, they feel fairly aggressive. The overall piece seems somewhat over powering in terms of sonics and possibly limiting, as if you are trying to force it to gel instead of allowing it to merge in a more pleasant manner. I listened first on a small scale mono speaker, this gave me a good impression of the levels, as I could hear the speaker struggle to cope with the volume, I then listened on headphones, I had to turn these down quite a bit in order to have a level which my ears could tolerate. I had the same things I have said here on my most recent effort, trying to get classical instrumentation to sit nicely together is really not that easy and on further listening on my SC upload can hear several sections which I will need to address.
I hope that you receive my words as someone who is trying to help, as you say, you spent a lot of time and effort to finish this, so I don't want you to see this and think that I am dismissing it entirely.
I will listen again and comment further if you wish.
No problem. Not a classical piece though, though it does have orchestration. It's actually a prog rock track and thus was meant to sound just like it does, angry if you like. I assure you I wasn't personally angry but yes, the piece was supposed to be dissonant and not "easy" to listen to.

And as it was to emulate a "live" performance, I didn't compress it or do any processing on it other than the stage reverb. So yes, you heard a very raw "you are there" performance.

So mission accomplished.

I am assuming that it's meant to sound like applause at the start of the track, sounds like rainfall, however. I'm glad you posted the idea behind the track and it does remind me of those old Prog Rock Concept albums so yes mission accomplished.

Although angry sounding it sort of captures my mood at the moment so I enjoyed the listen.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

biodiode wrote:I am assuming that it's meant to sound like applause at the start of the track, sounds like rainfall, however. I'm glad you posted the idea behind the track and it does remind me of those old Prog Rock Concept albums so yes mission accomplished.

Although angry sounding it sort of captures my mood at the moment so I enjoyed the listen.
That's an actual applause sample. Guess it doesn't translate well.

Anyway, thanks for the listen.

gave the Take me to the stars track a few listens, I didn't realize it was applause at the beginning either, it did sound like water.

I don't think the vocals fit the music. The vocals are pleasant sounding but the music has a bit of attitude.

The mix is ok, it sounds very one dimensional. It does not have a concert type feel at all.

smd12 wrote:gave the Take me to the stars track a few listens, I didn't realize it was applause at the beginning either, it did sound like water.

I don't think the vocals fit the music. The vocals are pleasant sounding but the music has a bit of attitude.

The mix is ok, it sounds very one dimensional. It does not have a concert type feel at all.
Oh well, blame the MIR Soundstage software because everything is set up inside a concert hall and is "supposed" to simulate the experience. You place the instruments where you want them (I set it up for a traditional orchestral setting with the band in the center in front along with the vocalist) and that's it.

I thought it sounded exactly as I expected it to. :shrug:

2nd track from my upcoming CD "The Vocaloids Live At Carnegie Hall"

Tomorrow I'll be posting my first Vocaloid 5 track with new singer Amy on vocals.

For My Tears Alone

For my tears alone
I weep for you
I cannot do
Without your love

For my tears alone
I cry my soul
Your touch gone cold
Without your love

The endless nights they are
I travel near and far
But there's no end in sight
No tears can make it right

For my tears alone
My dying breath
I wait for death
Without your love

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

Another one from my upcoming CD "The Vocaloids Live At Carnegie Hall"

(Nothing But) Seasons

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Shine some joy in my life
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Free me from pain and strife

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Bring me back to my home
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Don't let me be alone

It's so cold
So cold in here
I can't stand the pain
All my life
Waiting for spring
But all I get is rain

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
When I need me a friend
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
As we come to the end

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

Nothing but seasons

I really like this, apart from the vocal, it doesn't seem to fit. Have you thought of an instrumental interlude, as I think this would sound good without the vocal?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote:Nothing but seasons

I really like this, apart from the vocal, it doesn't seem to fit. Have you thought of an instrumental interlude, as I think this would sound good without the vocal?
Have I thought of an instrumental interlude? No, not really. lol.

Of course the vocals don't fit. It's Vocaloid.

wagtunes wrote:
Eauson wrote:Nothing but seasons

Have I thought of an instrumental interlude? No, not really. lol.

Of course the vocals don't fit. It's Vocaloid.
ROFL
Its was just a thought, note to self, dont interrupt Wags's vocaloiding :D

wagtunes wrote:Another one from "80s Squared". This is my response to Howard Jones' "New Song" which I also covered in this CD.

Old Song

Still I have to sing it
Go on try to top it

Still I have to sing it
Go on try to top it

Like the bass on this one. What did you use?
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Another one from "80s Squared". This is my response to Howard Jones' "New Song" which I also covered in this CD.

Old Song

Still I have to sing it
Go on try to top it

Still I have to sing it
Go on try to top it

Like the bass on this one. What did you use?
Honestly, don't remember but if I had to guess (this was part of my 80s CD) it was probably Diva or The Legend. They've pretty much become my go-to synths for electronic bass these days. If it's really important to you, I can go pull up the project and take a look.

Return to “Music Cafe”