Anyone using DUNE 2 on a touch-screen?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

So I'm considering a 23'' touch-screen monitor as a VST controller, because mousing around complex interfaces is such a hassle and gets in the way of productivity (for me). I actually use just a few instruments and fx, DUNE being the most important of them. And, since it has a tiny-tiny mod matrix, and even tinier parameters in there, and same for the arpeggiator, I wonder if those would be programmable via touch-screen, without too many errors and having to go for a parameter several times before I actually hit it. As you know, the matrix in DUNE is very important, so it has to work flawlessly in such a setup, and if not, this would be a deal-breaker.

So do you guys have any experience in this regard, or anything valuable to say re. browsing tiny menus and adjusting numerical value-boxes on a touch-screen?

Richard, if you are reading this, please make them bigger - in version 3. You know what I'm sayin'?

Will Dune 2 be the only software you will ever want to operate on a touchscreen? If the answer is no, then i'd consider really doing my homework, and finding out which host software and plugins are touch optimised, and can be operated well on a touchscreen. If i had to guess, from what i've seen so far, i'd say: not many to none. And if mousing around is too much of a hassle for you, then imagine the hassle to operate non touchscreen optimised GUI's. Now that's a hassle.

Which ones, you ask? You could watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsYIpXce30o

Now, I don't need 'many', I need one host app, in this case Bitwig fits perfectly, and some plugins. I could pick and choose those that are easier to work with in such a context, the only problem is that Dune is central to my work. So I could easily replace anything else, but not that. That's why I'm asking. There are some beta testers and preset designers for Synapse browsing these pages, there's Ingo, then there's Richard, maybe some of them will know and stumble upon this thread and be willing to give a brief answer, just to give me some reassurance. Or a warning. That's all I'm hoping for.

Otherwise, I do think multi-touch as a controller is the future, just have a look at this video and have a blast!

Alright, fair enough. :) Bitwig seems to be weill suited for touch screen operation. Can't say anything about Dune 2, but, my guess would be that, like other plugins, it wasn't really optimised with touchscreen in mind. If that is relevant i can't say. Maybe it works fine anyway.

I was hoping to get an answer from someone who has actually used it that way, or has enough experience with touch-screens and plug-ins to make an educated guess.

Let's give it a final bump, credit card on the ready.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”