What Are You Stronger At?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Which One Are You?

Are you left-handed and stronger at writing lyrics?
No votes
Are you left-handed and stronger at writing music?
21%
Are you left-handed and strong at both writing lyrics and music?
3%
Are you right-handed and stronger at writing lyrics?
7%
Are you right-handed and stronger at writing music?
45%
Are you right-handed and strong at both writing lyrics and music?
24%

Total votes: 29

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right-handed, but I've trained myself to eat and brush my teeth with my left hand, among other things. Writing left-handed would be a greater challenge, especially since I hardly ever write with a stylus of any kind anymore (I've always had discomfort with writing, and word processing replaced it as soon as was possible).

I'm much better at writing prose than writing lyrics or poetry. Most times I struggle to put music and words together, regardless of which was created first. My few successes have been sort of spontaneous (I sort of hear it in my head while listening to my music), and is still quite a bit of work.

My greatest successes (most rapid creation of quality lyrics for existing music) were when I was losing my shit due to Effexor. My self-censorship was killed off by the SSNRI drug's effects, which would seem like a good thing for creative work... but it also killed off most of my other mental processes for impulse-control/self-control. It was very bad.

I'm equally non-prolific with writing music and words (though I write a lot of Internet commentary and can do quite a bit of fiction when I get started). I'm entirely a "must force myself to work" type of artist. I'm very linear and struggle with my own consistency and self-censorship ruling over my output. Mostly I find the work unrewarding, so I have little impulse to do the work.

Left or right brain focuses are irrelevant to me at this point, since any thinking process dominance has been shown to not be hemispheric in cause and origin. Per the other thread...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Here's more observations.

Right-handed = Lyricists?

Bernie Taupin
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
George Harrison
Joni Mitchell
Leonard Cohen

Try this... type these two search words in Google and click the Images tab: guitar songwriters
Overwhelmingly right-handed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote:Here's more observations.

Right-handed = Lyricists?

Bernie Taupin
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
George Harrison
Joni Mitchell
Leonard Cohen

Try this... type these two search words in Google and click the Images tab: guitar songwriters
Overwhelmingly right-handed.
of course being a guitar player does rely heavily on the dexterity of the opposite hand, for instance if you are right handed your left hand is going to need to do a lot of the work.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If you are a songwriter and play acoustic guitar you are probably using that guitar to strum simple chords and you are probably not a virtuoso so I am concluding that since Google Images provided so many pictures of songwriters playing acoustic guitars right-handedly I am guessing that they are weaker at writing music and stronger at writing lyrics. Faulty logic?

that could be based on percentages of the whole population being left or right handed.
im pretty sure if it was 50/50 ish, left handed tin openers would be easy to find and as cheap as right handed.

harryupbabble wrote:If you are a songwriter and play acoustic guitar you are probably using that guitar to strum simple chords and you are probably not a virtuoso so I am concluding that since Google Images provided so many pictures of songwriters playing acoustic guitars right-handedly I am guessing that they are weaker at writing music and stronger at writing lyrics. Faulty logic?

not faulty logic. just not logic at all.

What is the right word(s) then?
Bias?
That's possible. I'm not sure about the topic. I never was. I want the old science to be correct but I need science-for-dummies explanation from the debunkers.

I'm stuck on your assumption people are strumming a few simple chords :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I eat left-handed, I write right-handed, I play guitar left-handed, and I drink right-handed. I'm right-footed. I'm tapping this mostly with my right thumb.
My music, well, that's for you to say.
I haven't written a lyric since I left school. (That was before we joined the EEC, as was.)
:party:

That's true it's hard to tell but was Bob Dylan strumming complex chords?

Okay gents and ladies, I have to get some groceries. Be back in a bit. Thanks for the input.

In Google, type these search words: rock lyricist

From that Google search, here are the right-handed people famous also for being lyricists:

Roger Waters
Leonard Cohen
Bernie Taupin
Joni Mitchell
Mick Jagger
Jim Morrison
Bruce Sprinsteen
Neil Young
Morrissey
Robert Plant
George Harrison
Lou Reed
Ray Davis
Elvis Costello
Eminem
Bono
Cat Stevens
Tom Waits
Randy Newman
Chrissie Hynde
Maynard James Keenan
Billy Joel
Tom Petty
Jackson Browne
Thom Yorke
Freddy Mercury
John Fogerty
Bob Marley
Nick Cave
Neil Peart
Carole King
Chuck Berry
Pete Townshend
Jerry Cantrell

From that same Google search, here are the left-handed people famous also for being lyricists:

Michael Stipe
David Bowie
Kurt Cobain
Paul Simon
Paul McCartney

Oddity: Art Garfunkel is in that Google list of "rock lyricist". I thought Art was strictly a singer and Paul Simon did the lyrics and the music in that partnership.

Okay, I'm calling it a night. Good evening ladies and gents.

i am right handed... but they say if you use your left hand and turn it over it feels like someone else is doing it lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote:i am right handed... but they say if you use your left hand and turn it over it feels like someone else is doing it lol
my right hand wouldn't talk to me for days, it's quite possessive

hands... can't live with them... can't live without them lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”