DAW VST's

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No experience trying this - can you use one DAW's VST's in a competitors DAW (e.g. Reason's Europa in Pro Tools) ? Or do you have to "rewire" ?

Google says yes.
https://www.propellerheads.se/europa

However other VSTs will differ.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Thanks for the response.

Yes, Europa was a bad example, because it is now available as a separate VST that can be used by any DAW .. but what I really meant is can you basically purchase a DAW like Reason and cannibalize all of its VST's into another DAW of your choice. So, for example .. instead of buying Europa for 200$us, go ahead and get Reason and get Europa and whatever else comes with Reason as VST's.

DAWs typically come with proprietary tools not VSTs. Whether you buy Logic, Bitwig, Ableton, Reason etc, you won't be able to use the supplied synths or effects as VSTs in other DAWs.

Thanks DB3 and Mushy, much appreciated.

low_low wrote:Thanks DB3 and Mushy, much appreciated.
The answer is it depends, unfortunately. Some like ImageLine (ie, FL Studio) allow them to work in other DAWS. Others like the Ableton ones only work in Ableton Live.

I would say the majority that come built into DAW's are native to that DAW. It's a USP after all.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
The answer is it depends, unfortunately. Some like ImageLine (ie, FL Studio) allow them to work in other DAWS. Others like the Ableton ones only work in Ableton Live.

I would say the majority that come built into DAW's are native to that DAW. It's a USP after all.
I don't think that FL Studio is different! I have FLS Producer which comes with Sytrus and Maximizer, but I can't use them as VST inside other DAWs because they are FL format, the other way is OK. I have Harmor license, so I can use the FL format of Harmor inside FL Studio (which integrates better than the VSTi).

I also have licenses of Padshop pro and Retrolouge so I can use them outside Cubase. I don't think you can use them outside Cubase without a separate licenses (although you can use Halion Sonic SE 3 with the its contents in another DAW as VSTi). Anyway, I remember that Sonar (for example) when came with Z3ta ..etc, you could use them outside of Sonar as VSTi. DAWs have their native format for their synths and effects mostly but there is no rule they must do that!

I use ReWire and VST (FL Studio) in order to use other DAWs tools/plugs, but not that much really as I just prefer using the DAW itself instead of all that cumbersome workaround.

low_low wrote:No experience trying this - can you use one DAW's VST's in a competitors DAW (e.g. Reason's Europa in Pro Tools) ? Or do you have to "rewire" ?
Image-Line has most of theyr instruments VST ready.

low_low wrote:No experience trying this - can you use one DAW's VST's in a competitors DAW (e.g. Reason's Europa in Pro Tools) ? Or do you have to "rewire" ?
mostly no, but very occasionally yes. about half of sonar's plugins would work, for example.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Mushy Mushy wrote:

With Live, and some other hosts (including, I though, FL) the plugins arent actually VST plugins in the first place.
IL do do VST versions of almost all the FL-bundled plugins but I was pretty sure the ones that come with FL are locked to FL.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

With Live, and some other hosts (including, I though, FL) the plugins arent actually VST plugins in the first place.
IL do do VST versions of almost all the FL-bundled plugins but I was pretty sure the ones that come with FL are locked to FL.
Yes, true. That's an important distinction.

To use VST versions of FL plugins, you need to purchase them separately.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I think at this point the OP needs to specify those he/she is interested in. Unless of course it was just blanket curiosity.

You can use some of the Cubase included stuff, like Halion Sonic SE, Retrologue and Padshop in other DAW's. Gotta have or had Cubase installed, though. You cannot use the Studio One included instruments in other DAW's. At least not to my knowledge.

Even though most of the plugins you're talking about are full-fledged VSTs they have additional programming code that check to determine the environment that is hosting them and either displays a message that indicates they won't run in this manner or just exit with no message. In a few cases they do work, but that is by accident. Several manufacturers make a different version of the plugin in a regular VST format that can also be used in different DAWs.

VSTs are a type of dll (dynamic linked list) that require a parent application to call and host them (share memory with). The calling program is usually the DAW. The standalone versions of a plugin are wrapped with an additional program (like SAVIHOST) that handles the input, output and miscellaneous functions.

So in general plan on proprietary DAW plugins to not work in another DAW. Rewire isn't a bad choice though.

Return to “Instruments”