Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wouldn't know where to put that heavy, bulky thing 8)

wagtunes wrote:If you want an "authentic" Yamaha CS 80, buy one. You're never going to get it from a VST. Now now, not ever.

That's one of those instruments that can't be duplicated in software.
That's maybe true (I never experienced a real CS 80) but mainly because it is tightly connected and based on the real controllers that come with the instrument. As a synth, there isn't much to talk about.

To the OP: Don't get fooled when you hear that Vangelis sounds. Synthesis speaking, they have nothing special about. It's the way he plays them that makes them special. For that, you will need a good controller, and yes - aftertouch is vital. I'd say that a good keyboard controller paired with the recent version of the CS 80 would do the job.

Besides, if you are into Vangelis, there is a pack of sounds (really cheap - € 7,99) created by Noritaka Ubukata, and dedicated to that particular sound. Go to https://www.arturia.com/analoglab/sounds and look for the proper pack.
Fernando (FMR)

greggybud wrote:There is a very large one. Ask the developer if it has a demo and verify that it is included in the purchase.

If you think that's small, you should have seen Arturis before V5.
Gunnar (developer) replied to my e-mail and told that demo version comes only with a small skin.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

wagtunes wrote:If you want an "authentic" Yamaha CS 80, buy one. You're never going to get it from a VST. Now now, not ever.

That's one of those instruments that can't be duplicated in software.
Maybe not now, but someday.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Attached is the old Arturia, the ME-80 and Big ME-80. Be aware that the ME-80s are 2 different VST's and therefore you cant save a patch in the ME-80 and load it in the Big ME-80.

This is shown on 2 34-inch ultra wides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arturia's one is okay. I did a lot of very interesting things with it, that aren't usual CS80 fare.

If you want the Vangelis sound, the more cosmic and "out there" sound, the more "analog sound" get:

ME80 2
Arminator 2 (free) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFvY5JdWF0 ]
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greggybud wrote:Attached is the old Arturia, the ME-80 and Big ME-80. Be aware that the ME-80s are 2 different VST's and therefore you cant save a patch in the ME-80 and load it in the Big ME-80.

This is shown on 2 34-inch ultra wides.
The Arturia CS-80 posted there is version 2. The current one is version 3. The GUI can be bigger than the Big ME-80 pictured.
Fernando (FMR)

Krakli Arminator, 32 bit only though
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

voidhead23 wrote:i've owned both the Arturia emu and the ME80. i absolutely despise how the Arturia CS-80 sounds...horribly thin and useless. But plenty of awesome people use it and love it (i'm thinking especially of Tycho at the moment), so it's entirely subjective. The ME80, on the other hand, sounds fantastic. Not sure if it sounds like an actual CS-80, but it sounds musical and beautiful, so who cares?

However, as fluffy pointed out, what made the CS-80 so revered in its day was not so much the sound of it, but its expressiveness via poly aftertouch, ribbon controller, and some modulation tricks. It reacted like a more traditional instrument and was more 'playable'. Something like Diva coupled with a MIDI controller with aftertouch will get you those sounds plus a lot more.
I would love to hear useless as a sound...The Arturia version is quite splendid
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I know the Mini V has a new filter section, but have they given any of the older plugins (Modular V, etc.) that type of update?

In the update list for CS-80 3.0.0 it says:

Resizable GUI
Advanced preset browser
New presets for all instruments
Improved sound engines

I am just not sure what that improvement is exactly. Is it documented somewhere?

I bet that Vangelis would choose Diva over the Arturia CS-80, if he was limited to using plugins.

Demo and select the synth that sounds as good/beautiful as the Yamaha, not the one that mimics its faceplate. ;)

Well nothing sounds like a CS 80. Not Diva, not anything.

izonin wrote:I bet that Vangelis would choose Diva over the Arturia CS-80, if he was limited to using plugins.

Demo and select the synth that sounds as good/beautiful as the Yamaha, not the one that mimics its faceplate. ;)
wagtunes wrote:Well nothing sounds like a CS 80. Not Diva, not anything.
Yes, I second the bolded words: Demo and select the synth that sounds as good/beautiful as the Yamaha.

I repeat also what I already wrote. There's nothing, synthwise, in the CS-80 that makes it difficult to emulate. Therefore, there's no reason why you can't get those sounds out of a plug-in. And Vangelis even used, basically, the factory sounds. It's not the sounds, it's the way you PLAY them. And that's not in the plug-in, no matter which one it is.

The Arturia CS-80 V is perfectly capable of produce the real CS-80 soiunds, with pretty good accuracy. Did you listened to the examples of the sound pack made by Ubukata that I posted? They sound pretty damn close to me.

Don't look at the Arturia label if you have some problems with it (some over here do :roll:)
Last edited by fmr on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks for all your replies... appreciated! Lots of useful advices!

Well, guess what... I bought Diva! :) + Soundsdivine Director's Cut soundbank to give me some "instant Vangelis". :D

Downside: spent all my plugin/vst/software money and now I just have to wait and save some more (and sell some plugins) to buy a MIDI-controller with a polyphonic aftertouch (Xkeys).
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

Return to “Instruments”