"My Documents" cluttered by plug-in developers

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A little rant:

Aren't you niggled by those plug-in developers who insist on creating a folder in your "My Documents", cluttering up the place. I would much prefer to be able to put those folders where I want (without messing about with symbolic links etc) so I can get to them easily.

The culprits here include: Blue Cat Audio, discoDSP, FXpansion, IK Multimedia, iZotope JamStix (Rayzoon), Native Instruments, Reaktor 5 (yes, it gets its own folder, as well as one in Native Instruments), Toontrack and Youlean.

Pack it in.

Aaarrgh :!:
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I create multiple folders inside My Documents for -my- stuff and name them so they're visible. _PERSONAL, _PROJECTS, _ASSETS, that sort of thing.

S'easier that way.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Here on my system there are many more, actually most of my My Documents folder's content are plugin-related subfolders.

It's actually so bad that I had to make a totally new Documents folder on my HD where I'm putting my actual documents.

I strongly agree that this is a mess and completely unnecessary. That stuff should go to AppData or something like that.

I hope devs will take notice.

DarkStar wrote:A little rant:

Aren't you niggled by those plug-in developers who insist on creating a folder in your "My Documents", cluttering up the place. I would much prefer to be able to put those folders where I want (without messing about with symbolic links etc) so I can get to them easily.
In my opinion, putting those folders there is much better than (as some plugins do) putting them into ProgramData, or, worse, in the ProgramFiles/ProgramFiles (x86) folders. Don't have an issue with plugin developers packing the user, or data files into Documents. A lot of other software does that as well.

Pictus wrote:Symbolic Links are your friends! :tu:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
I'd be careful with creating symbolic links for the Documents folder... it might cause some softwares to stop working. At least that's what i read. I do that for my Download, Music and Video folders, but not for my Documents folder.

The Documents folder is exactly for that. I usually use the Users/Public/Documents folder for that kind of stuff, and reserve the Users/My User/Documents folder for my own documents. But IMO that's what the Documents folders are there for. I prefer that location than Program Data, although I would prefer that support files (those that are necessary for the programs to work) go into Program Data.

But libraries, preset files, etc., yeah, I wish ANY plug-in builder would follow these rules, instead of having some placing the files inside VstPlugIns, others in Program Data, others in Users/My User/AppData/Roaming, etc.

If you want to have your own documents folders centralized, create a folder with your name inside yout Documents folder, and put them there, or else use the Public Documents folder for the kind of stuff installers want to install.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote:
Pictus wrote:Symbolic Links are your friends! :tu:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
I'd be careful with creating symbolic links for the Documents folder... it might cause some softwares to stop working. At least that's what i read. I do that for my Download, Music and Video folders, but not for my Documents folder.
No problem here(Windows 10).

consider yourself lucky you don't have games in there as well.

+1 to OP

I prefer my system partition to be just that, for system related stuff. Everything else please let me choose where I wanna put it.

As far as I'm aware devs have to do that. Because of UAC and virtualization issues. Been like that for years.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”