What's so special about Reaper?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Try the Default Commla 5 Theme...

Some kind soul has done the heavy lifting and it is good to go....

Very easy to get around because everything is laid out logically....

Learn a few keyboard shortcuts and you get to work...

There are many different themes available,so just choose your poison...

It is like having many different brands of the finest toilet paper at your fingertips....

Just remember to wash your hands after you have finished :wink:
No auto tune...

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoseC. wrote:
chk071 wrote:Rather like shopping in the DIY market. ;)
Not really. After all, you get a plastic bag with all the actions, you just need to figure out where, when and how to use them to keep the thing from falling apart. :)
I'd still have to configure it a LOT to make it work for me. And one thing is missing completely, and that's the edit tools you have in Cubase and Studio One when you do a right click in the sequencer window. I really have gotten used to that, and, it's sorely missing in other DAW's.

Vortifex wrote:Where? I looked in Editing Behaviour > Mouse Modifiers and saw nothing for Add Midi Item or right click anywhere.
You looked in the wrong place, you'd need to edit the menu to do what bungle said. BUT, in mouse modifiers, you can definitely change the main action for mouse drag.

Track->Left drag->Default action: Draw an empty MIDI item. No need to hold a key or go through menus this way.

enroe wrote: Recently we must assert that Reaper is one
of the most used DAW - here at KVR and
also at Gearsluts
lol not surprising. Reaper is the DAW for people who spend too much time on forums complaining about other DAWs*

*I'm a paid up Reaper user and it does do some very clever stuff. The downside being that with great flexibility comes great setup time.

digitalfix wrote:
enroe wrote: Recently we must assert that Reaper is one
of the most used DAW - here at KVR and
also at Gearsluts
lol not surprising. Reaper is the DAW for people who spend too much time on forums complaining about other DAWs*

*I'm a paid up Reaper user and it does do some very clever stuff. The downside being that with great flexibility comes great setup time.
Is here a step-by step setup guide for the Reaper :love: beginner? :scared: :oops: :roll:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:It is not the holy grail of DAWs but having used it for 6 years now, everything else seems strange. I am sure if I put the time into something else It would be the same. But for me there is nothing Reaper cant do. Set up some tool bars and everything is one click away.

Granted it doesn't have instruments but its price will leave you with some change to buy what you want.

Logic seems to be king of the value.......if it wasn't tied to a OS that makes hardware obsolete every 2 years it may be a consideration.
Logic is the only DAW which can no more run on my 2007 imac because it's stuck to el capitan, every other DAWs can and Reaper run fluently.
So if I sum up : the only DAW which can't run on my imac made by Apple is the DAW by Apple, what a shame. Planned obsolescence sucks.
From time to time I play with other DAWs, S1, Live, Logic, but at the end I come back to Reaper. Once you have it customized to your taste, other DAWs are boring. Reaper is frequently updated, less than 20 Mb, CPU efficient, rock solid, cheap, best automation management I know...

So strange. Never been tempted to try it out or use it!

bundoo wrote:My previous point above is that actually interface design is an art
to the same sort of extent that design is generally - but there are also basic UI considerations like consistency which are more about care than art. Reaper uses windows conventions a lot but not always - for example the plugin AddFX window superficially looks like Explorer but does not allows for things like scrolling when something is dragged to the top or bottom of the window, or expanding a folder when dragging an item and hovering.

woggle wrote:Reaper is probably the only DAW where a great deal of the functionality is provided by external unpaid labor.
Yup! Nailed it. Ran the numbers and decided my time was a little too valuable for this.

^^^
Nope.

Some of the functionality (including my efforts) certainly, but not a great deal. If you want something special then Reaper gives you the resources to do it.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:^^^
Nope.

Some of the functionality (including my efforts) certainly, but not a great deal. If you want something special then Reaper gives you the resources to do it.
I used some of your scripts, DarkStar, they were excellent and useful. :D

But a “great deal” of the functionality I was looking for was not provided unless I put together a buffet of custom actions and scripts, many of which required fixing since they gradually lose more and more functionality as the program evolves and the script’s creators understandably stop working on them.

There’s no hard feelings or anything, just realized that what made REAPER special also made it prohibitive when time was at more of a premium.

Some positive comments from a professional mastering engineer here....

https://www.tokyodawn.net/in-the-lab-with-jan-ohlhorst/

What are you currently using for a DAW?

I’ve been using Cockos’ REAPER for over 7 years now and loving it. It is fast, stable, and moreover, heavily customizable! I’m faster and more reliable with it than any other DAW I’ve tried out for mastering. When I started using it, I couldn’t find any other professional mastering engineers who also used it, therefore I’m using a lot of self-written scripts that simplify and speed up my workflow. The REAPER community is great and nowadays you get a lot of scripts that you can download with ReaPack (built in scripts downloader), which is only a mouse click away.
No auto tune...

^
ReaPack Scripts
https://reapack.com/repos
I am overwhelmed.

ReaPack: Package manager for REAPER
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177978

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”