Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
xshd
KVRer

2 posts since 19 Dec, 2017

Postby xshd; Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 am Progressive trance kick drum

Hello!
Been trying to understand the kick drum right here in this track.. Seems simple, but oh boy it takes some thinking how it is done.. Well composed with other elements but is it me or is this kick made from 2 different samples (or more?) Beginning could be low pass filter, but I think it is only first layer of kick (top) with bit of mid, and then after first 15-20 seconds comes low part of kick like around 50hZ and nicely fill the bottom. Question.. It is good sample for sure, but I smeel some heavy processing on kick / sub . Multiband maybe? It's powerful.. It is nicely 'moved' and playin in just right time.. Any ideas, tips to try to achieve something like that? Of course it depends on tonation and other elements, but let's try to 'reverse engineer' this kick

Track here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zhNNHT7quc
Ari-S
KVRist

114 posts since 2 May, 2014, from The Netherlands

Postby Ari-S; Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:52 am Re: Progressive trance kick drum

There is nothing really special about it. Sounds like a basic synthesized kick drum. Just a sine wave with a really fast and snappy pitch envelope, probably with the transient of a hi-hat sample layered on top of it. Look up "psytrance kick" in the search bar for some similar discussions this topic (I know this ain't psytrance, but the techniques for kick drum synthesis are the same principle).
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart
xshd
KVRer

2 posts since 19 Dec, 2017

Postby xshd; Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:18 am Re: Progressive trance kick drum

Thanks for reply. I believe it's layered like at least two samples, but how great it's "sitting" in the mix! It's punchy, yet not dominating, although the lowest element in the track.
Curious what kind of processing is there.
Ari-S
KVRist

114 posts since 2 May, 2014, from The Netherlands

Postby Ari-S; Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 pm Re: Progressive trance kick drum

I also became a little curious so I tried to recreate it. Got pretty close, if I say so myself: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vsKOZ ... siVmfxrgFe

I've layered a hi-hat and a few noisy/gritty kick drums with a compact but rich high-end on top of a synthesized kick that I've made using BazzISM. The synthesized kick defines the whole body of this kick, so it's really important to tweak with the pitch envelope until it has the right amount of energy. Than I added the gritty kick layers + hi-hat and high-pass them so that they don't interfere with the low-end and low-mid of the body.

The processing was mainly some eq, heavy compression, multi-band saturation, tape-saturation and limiting. The compression in combination with the multi-band saturation made a big difference here. I've used FabFilter's Saturn for the mb saturation and added some tube overdrive on the mid- and high frequencies. This really enhanced that gritty character. Than I added an SSL-style compressor with a medium attack and short release and squashed it down quite a bit, to get the transient really tight and to lower the volume of the tail a bit before I added even some more (tape-)saturation (which is crucial, because otherwise the tail will contain too much harmonics). Finally I applied some limiting to squash the peaks and get a more even dynamic.

I'd say that, even tho the processing I've used definitely made a lot of difference, the sample selection (and synthesis) is where it all comes down to. If you don't start with the right sounds to begin with, you'll never end up with the desired result.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart
andymcbain
KVRist

160 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Postby andymcbain; Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 am Re: Progressive trance kick drum

The more I pile the processing onto homemade kicks the more I end up bitterly disappointed. For me the best approach, and probably the one Armin uses, is to find the best samples you can and experiment with layering. Or at least synthesize the sub and throw a top layer and punch layer in there.

If you can justify the cost, Vengeance Sound Metrum is something of a treasure trove for drum layers, though it's synthesis section is dated now in comparison to Kick 2.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design