IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Thanks for the clarification Scotty and Peter!

Thanks!
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Scotty wrote:I can't seem to find the manual... mine is on its way. I wanted to read up on the midi spec and make a custom controller template for it in advance. Any idea if and when the manual will be posted?
Hi Scotty. The manuals are now available online. There's a "Manuals" link on the left navigation of the UNO Synth page on our site.

No problem. More and more units are being received, we were able to start shipping ahead of the official UNO Synth ship date. I've also been told that units are being received (or were received) at dealers too if you purchased or would like to purchase from an authorized IK dealer.

Jakob Haq did a bit of an "UNO Jam" as he calls it, looks like the first video of a user with their UNO Synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4FkymHj_TA

Coolio... can’t wait for mine! Looks like a ton of fun! I preordered but haven’t heard yet about my ship date... nice to see it’s out and being used!

I just got mine about 30 minutes ago. Looking forward to incorporating it into the studio. First step is making a control template for it using komplete control s61 mk2.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Jakob Haq did a bit of an "UNO Jam" as he calls it, looks like the first video of a user with their UNO Synth:
Hhhmmm... not really a fan of that filter sound. The resonance is a bit "squeaky", for want of a better word.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hey - guys who have an UNO already try this....

Headphones in- play a note, wait, after the nite gives quiet do you get like a realy quiet harmonic sequence?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Jakob Haq did a bit of an "UNO Jam" as he calls it, looks like the first video of a user with their UNO Synth:
Hhhmmm... not really a fan of that filter sound. The resonance is a bit "squeaky", for want of a better word.
That’s just one sound, one demo, It depends on the position of the filter, resonance knob and drive, I can get my UNO to sound warm and moogish, wet and squelchy (it’s a great 303 substitute) or downright aggressive. Like all analog synths, it realy comes to life with a descent reverb behind it (and preferably a bit of compression).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Hey - guys who have an UNO already try this....

Headphones in- play a note, wait, after the nite gives quiet do you get like a realy quiet harmonic sequence?

OK, I have plugged it in my mixer with a mono connector (I thought it may have been an artefact of summing) but it is just the same, this looks like a real issue.

Mono cable to mixer, no other cables attached -After any sound is played it goes quiet and then runs through a harmonic (calibration?) sequence permanently in the background!

When listening with headphones (I assume via any stereo connection there) is a lot of white noise/hiss over the pre-set. I tried 3 pairs of studio grade headphones, always the same (in face the better the headphones, the worse the noise!)

Can any other users please confirm or do I just have a bad one? (I have seem 1 other person over at gearsluts post exactly the same issues, so I fear the worst...hopefully its a software update rather than a unit return....)

I have made a recording here.. the harmonic sequence that I hear is extremely faint and well below the noise floor of the rest of my gear (it cycles in after about 10 seconds of silence and becomes inaudible again after about 4 seconds) . If it continues to idle (silent it will cycle up gain after 20 seconds and repeat) It is a non issue on mine - way below any level that I would be even remotely concerned with.

Given that I am not an electronics engineer I am not going to post my audio sample and speculate publically but if you want to send me a PM ... I'll send you the audio file and we can compare. I have recorded it through an avalon 2022 with a good quality cable though battery power and USB power (results are the same). I can send you the non normalized sample and the normalized sample. Happy to do this.

Scotty wrote:I have made a recording here.. the harmonic sequence that I hear is extremely faint and well below the noise floor of the rest of my gear (it cycles in after about 10 seconds of silence and becomes inaudible again after about 4 seconds) . If it continues to idle (silent it will cycle up gain after 20 seconds and repeat) It is a non issue on mine - way below any level that I would be even remotely concerned with.

Given that I am not an electronics engineer I am not going to post my audio sample and speculate publically but if you want to send me a PM ... I'll send you the audio file and we can compare. I have recorded it through an avalon 2022 with a good quality cable though battery power and USB power (results are the same). I can send you the non normalized sample and the normalized sample. Happy to do this.
Yes its quiet, but still sort of annoying and its louder on some patches than others. I had to use a noise gate to get rid of it on my mixer...

What about the noise when using a stereo connection such as headphones? It renders headphones not really useable on my unit just too much fizz/noise

It's starting to look less like the isolated issue that the IK reps are claiming on other threads...I still haven't seen a post from anyone that's doesn't have this issue. Needs an official statement- either it can be fixed, learn top live with it or return the units!

As I can't hear your unit I don't want to comment on your situation as that can be extremely annoying and unhelpful.

From my unit I just tested a bunch of presets and the harmonic sequence can get more apparent with some presets if the filter is highly resonant (patch 27) but for me still a non issue as the level is very low and with anything else playing ... completely inaudible.

Also backing off the volume from max (5 o' clock to 3 o 'clock) makes it even less apparent even if volume matched at the preamp stage. I hear exactly the same thing through stereo headphones.

I just compared it to my Volca Keys, Arturia Brute and Beats and their background noise relative to the UNO is higher unless that harmonic sequence cycles up and then Uno gets a bit louder by comparison but still in the same zone.

Scotty wrote:As I can't hear your unit I don't want to comment on your situation as that can be extremely annoying and unhelpful.

From my unit I just tested a bunch of presets and the harmonic sequence can get more apparent with some presets if the filter is highly resonant (patch 27) but for me still a non issue as the level is very low and with anything else playing ... completely inaudible.

Also backing off the volume from max (5 o' clock to 3 o 'clock) makes it even less apparent even if volume matched at the preamp stage. I hear exactly the same thing through stereo headphones.

I just compared it to my Volca Keys, Arturia Brute and Beats and their background noise relative to the UNO is higher unless that harmonic sequence cycles up and then Uno gets a bit louder by comparison but still in the same zone.
Hello Scotty

Yes the background noise is not bad and I normaly gate analog synths, but I suspecty other mau be less tolleratent as its a little weird if you dont gate it.

Sounds like you don't have the noise/hiss issue ove patches with headphones? I am not getting it with stereo input to my mixer, just headphones, but I have tried 3 pays in case it was faulty cans or impedance issues from in-ear to pro-audio...same thing. Weird.

SLiC wrote:
Scotty wrote:As I can't hear your unit I don't want to comment on your situation as that can be extremely annoying and unhelpful.

Hello Scotty

Yes the background noise is low without the harmonic sequence, but its a really irritating high pitch sequence through a desk to monitor speakers.... have a compressor on the output without a gate its even worse. I am pretty sure it shouldn't be there and am hopeful kit will just be a firmware tweak.

Sounds like you don't have the noise/hiss issue over patches with headphones? I am not getting it with stereo input to my mixer, just headphones, but I have tried 3 pairs in case it was faulty cans or impedance issues from in-ear to pro-audio...same thing.

Anyway- other than these two issues I really like the basic sound of the synth, I have been getting some nice pad sounds from it with a bit of vallhala shimmer added :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”