Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
ENV1 wrote:
JoeCat wrote:BTW, I think Xavier of Xils worked for Arturia; not sure whether he had a hand in the CS-80 V
The V1 versions even have his initials in the ID (CS80 X. O.) where X. O. stands for Xavier Oudin.
You're spot on. I always find it funny when I see people attacking Arturia, and at the same time praise Xils. I absolutely think that Xavier deserves praise ...
Quite true.

Otoh a lot of years have passed between the first Arturias and the PolyKB III. ( For example Xils have now 4th or 5th generation zdf filters ... )
And the teams in both companies have changed a lot as well. So this might explain that, at least a bit.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

So, if someone could be the best candidate to recreate the CS-80 again, it would be Xils-lab, then, with his experience with CS-80V during that time and expertise gained since then.

If that happens, it would be a dream come true.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

poonna wrote:So, if someone could be the best candidate to recreate the CS-80 again, it would be Xils-lab, then, with his experience with CS-80V during that time and expertise gained since then.

Well, he didnt do a great job emulating the cs80 for arturia so....

AnX wrote:
poonna wrote:So, if someone could be the best candidate to recreate the CS-80 again, it would be Xils-lab, then, with his experience with CS-80V during that time and expertise gained since then.

In your opinion :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

I dont know anyone has has experience of a cs80 who thinks differently so.... :roll:

AnX wrote:I dont know anyone that has experience of a cs80 who thinks differently so.... :roll:
So, how many do you "know" that have "experience" with the CS-80, exactly? And what kind of "experience"?

And what exactly are "their" remarks?

Of course, we are entering a field where, invariably, hardware users always state that the software doesn't get it. And I don't know ANY emulation that did pass the test among the people who have "experience" with the hardware. What's amazing is that, in blind tests, they usually fail :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
AnX wrote:I dont know anyone that has experience of a cs80 who thinks differently so.... :roll:
So, how many do you "know" that have "experience" with the CS-80, exactly? And what kind of "experience"?

And what exactly are "their" remarks?

Of course, we are entering a field where, invariably, hardware users always state that the software doesn't get it. And I don't know ANY emulation that did pass the test among the people who have "experience" with the hardware. What's amazing is that, in blind tests, they usually fail :roll:
Would my facts and figures make any diff to you? Should i spend 30 mins typing all my stories to please you for no reason

Your opinion/my opinion/others opinions.

Who cares? I do myself, but only about my opinion. Facts i like too.

I dont care if you believe me or anyone. Im not losing money or sleep, so believe whatever you want. Not my problem. :tu:

FWIW, I owned a CS. Grew up during the era. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about the sound then. I thought the brass sounded thin as hell. I never got the fascination and sold mine shortly after.

Having said that, the software made so far does not sound like the original if for no other reasons than it doesn't have the expressiveness. Maybe once they manage to tackle that aspect we'll have a chance at a great emulation, as great as one can be given how truly mediocre the instrument itself is. It certainly doesn't have the rich sound of any of the early Oberheims. Now those were synths with balls. The CS you had to put through a crap ton of FX to get any kind of "decent" sound out of it. Dry, it was beyond horrible.

Of course this is just my opinion. But if somebody delivered a CS to my door right now, I'd tell him to take it back. I have synths that sound so much better.

Again, just my opinion.

AnX wrote:

Whether he did a good job then or not is debatable, but it's not my point here. He got his hands dirty on analyzing the CS-80 when emulation was still in its infancy. Given CS-80V is the second emulation Arturia did, released in 2003 -- 15 years ago, with such a beast, I would give them at least some credit.

Thing is, now it's been a long time, and Xavier has produced some excellent synths over the years. He's earned a lot of expertise since. Emulating the CS-80 properly would be a herculean task. Since he has had some in-depth experience with it before, that would make him a suitable candidate for a remake.

On the other hand, I wish Arturia did the Matrix-12V (which I don't really care for) first, and CS-80V in much more recent years. We would have a much better quality CS-80 emulation that way.

I had a CS 70m for a while. Great great machine. I recently played a 30M. Wow, another winner. Almost all the CS series synths I played over years were pure beauties, and also, they all have some different features that make them very interesting to play and perform.

All in all, the CS series are among the best analog synthesizers for me. I should get another CS when I come back from holydays. quite excited if it works.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

poonna wrote:So, if someone could be the best candidate to recreate the CS-80 again, it would be Xils-lab, then
Or u-he. Or TAL. Or NI. Or Synapse Audio.

EvilDragon wrote:
poonna wrote:So, if someone could be the best candidate to recreate the CS-80 again, it would be Xils-lab, then
Or u-he
u-he most definitely.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Any of those devs I listed would be more than adequate for the job. u-he doesn't want to do 1:1 analog emulations only in the future, though (Urs' own words), so they probably won't do a CS-80 any time soon, or ever. But Synapse... Richard, are you reading this? :)

EvilDragon wrote:Any of those devs I listed would be more than adequate for the job. u-he doesn't want to do 1:1 analog emulations only in the future, though (Urs' own words), so they probably won't do a CS-80 any time soon, or ever. But Synapse... Richard, are you reading this? :)
If Synapse would pick this one up, I'm all for it!

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”