July Contest: Submissions "Moist (Am7)"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moist (Am7)

It's July! In a number of parts of the globe it's hot, humid and, well, moist! In other parts of the world it's probably snowy and rainy and, well, moist! The challenge this month has two parts: a conceptual part and a minor formal part.

The conceptual part is to write a track that embodies "moist" in whatever way you want to. Do you want to write a rap-tastic "song of the summer" about how humid it is and how everyone's basement is so moist and you're really starting to worry about all the old records you've got stored down there or do you want to write the soundtrack to that horror movie everyone is talking about, the one about the killer moisture in the air that is really an evil hereditary spirit made of microscopic killer nanobots? Just make sure you tell us in the submissions thread what aspect of moisture your track embodies so we can appreciate it on that level.

It's up to you! As an added bonus, though, your track should include an A-minor 7th chord somewhere in there, any inversion, any substitution. Is your A-minor 7 chord really a C-Major6 chord? I'll never tell!

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - No time limit this month, just keep it moist!

3 - Entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Saturday, July 28, 2018.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1807_ImMoist2_Squishy.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, August1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread. There's a good chance I'll answer eventually!

Let's not be arseing about then, that mixing malarky is for losers. Retrieved a triplet-y thing I'd written which was in the, 'too hard to play, I'm a strumming monkey', pile and cheated by playing it on the midi guitar for the picked acoustics, so I could polish the turd. Managed to play most of the rest of the guitars ok. Chipped off work this aftie and did the guitars and singing (random miserablism - it might mean something to somebody, means f**k all to me, but it has stuff about the ground being moist after the rain, so..... :hihi: )

The Amin7 (I had to look it up to be sure - these names are shit, I know it as the 'Stairway to Heaven' chord) features a lot in the repeated arpeggio motif (makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about) on the guitars and piano (supposed to evoke the rain..err pretentious, moi?). Some shuffly brushes drums and a poor man's Marr janglefest at the end, and Bob's yer Dad's brother.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/07- ... -moist.mp3

Stuff;

Kontakt patch of my old Encore acoustic
Amplesound AGT2
Amplesound AGTC
Indignus Renegade
Epiphone 6 string acoustic
Gear4music 12 string acoustic
Line 6 Variax electric
Kontakt Factory library acoustic bass
NI Una Corda
NI 50s drums
NI vintage organ
Wobbly singing - that high long note near the end nearly killed me :cry:

Cheer up donkey!

wow donkeyT! I got goosebumps! does the song have a name? Also any chance you can post the lyrics? (I wish everyone posted the lyrics to their songs with vocals)

Tbase2000: Wet Tears

I'm in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HKasw_ ... sp=sharing

Went really basic on this one. Acoustic super sad tune with some cellos/violins
SDGR Bass direct Guitar Rig 5
Squier guitar strums direct (Guitar Rig 5 and Cubase tone pair)
Vocals MXL 990 and Tube Compressor
Cubase 9 Halion Sonic weak violin
Piano Halion Sonic
Kontact sexy demo cellos.

I thought about drums but they really don't work here. Some sticks and accents maybe but I just wasn't feeling it. Full orchestra at the end would be cool, I just can't pull it off on this one.

As dorky as the following pun term may seem, the idea was to create a hip hopera and this is its overture. All pretense aside, I just played with sounds of rain, thunder, water and the mixing concept of wetness in terms of reverb and space. Plus some abstract vocaloid ramblings about "Moisture"

https://soundcloud.com/jonny-632235726/moisture

ANA2
Serum
Zebra HZ
Vocaloid 4
Battery
Massive
Soniccouture Bag Of Tricks

mumbling in a mic

Put together in Cubase 9.5

Thanks for listening

Wrong room. Edit :clap:
Last edited by Tbase2000 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The Cave"
Written and Performed by Michael John (aka Mike777 KVR forum)
Music Cafe KVR contest entry - July 2018

The contest of 'moist' got me thinking of a cave. And then of course about the lost boys in the cave in Thailand. What an ordeal. Can't imagine what they have been through. This piece was started when none had been rescued, and completed when 8 of the boys have been rescued out of the cave.

When making music, I don't think of specific events, as I always let music 'come out' spontaneously. I was not thinking of them while making this. But now that it's complete, I think I was unconsciously influenced by them. Since it is a piece about a cave, how could it not. A part near the end has a moment of hope, like being out of darkness. Like for those out of the cave. But the piece ends in a dark tone, for the others.

https://soundcloud.com/mike_jf/thecave

First chord beat one: Am7

Piano (a mix of):
dimension mini piano soundfont VST2
Yamaha MOXF8 (Full Concert Grand) KEYBOARD
Strings (a mix of):
Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra soundfonts (strings) VST2
Cakewalk SI-String Section VST2
Dimension LE VST2
Effects:
Sonitus:fx Reverb VST2

DAW:
Cakewalk Sonar Professional
Last edited by Mike777 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tbase2000 wrote:Totally guilty of replaying the shower scene not once but twice. Nice work JQ. When are we gonna hear your voice?
Just came to listen to new entries and saw this.

(hope the mods don't get agitated that the flow of the forum is migrating gossip entry. nonetheless)

My voice used to enter these competitions 10 years ago...I'd imagine most who heard it then would agree not enough time has passed for revival. :lol:

Wrong forum again. Sorry. Lets move over to gossip. I'll get it eventually.

Heavy Vapour

HW:
Charvel guitar, Open-D DIY 'Fire' strat, Standard-D 'Swamp' DIY Strat, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, Alesis Nanoverb, Rocktron Chameleon, Custom Jazz-bass, Zoom MS-60B, Electro Harmonix Soul Food, DigiTech FreqOut, Waldorf Rocket, Rocktron Gainiac II pre -> IMG Sta500 Power amp -> Custom 4x10 cabinet

SW :
Minimogue VA (through Rocket VCF), NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI Massive, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, Nuclear Cranium

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/47504 ... ACspQlXg2P
this is about as moist as I"m gonna get this month

https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/0718 ... -as-i-swim
I tried thinking about a happy place(as Mrs Natural isn't doing very well atm), remembering the two of us snorkeling off the caribbean coast of Mexico. I remember all the beautiful fish looking at us; like "what the f**k are you doing here ?" :hyper:

LIVE 10
Ableton Grand
Geist2
Z3ta2
Dimension Pro
Alchemy1.5
UltraAnalog2
Ableton WaveTable
cymbal sample
and a complete truck-load of EFX

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Well, I really wasn't going to enter this month but I finished my last project and was bored so I put this together last minute. It's obvious by the lyrics that I'm having a bit of a go at this month's "requirements." This song is not meant to be taken seriously AT ALL.

Having said that, I absolutely love it. It is one of the stupidest, cute and catchy things I've ever done and would probably make a great commercial song for some cookie franchise.

Here are the technical specifics:

DAW - Cubase 7

VSTs

Vienna Pro
Vienna Orchestral and Dimension Strings
EWQL Tuba and Piccolo
Pianoteq Piano
MODO Bass
Kontakt Studio Drummer
Lead Vocals by Vocaloid 4 Cyber Diva

FX

Vienna MIR Pro 24 Sound Stage
Fabfilter Q2
Fabfilter Compressor
Fabfilter Limiter
Valhalla Plate Reverb
Abbey Road Tape Emulation

Lyrics

Moist And Chewy

Moist and chewy moist and chewy
That's what grandma's cookies are
Here comes an A minor seventh chord

I like moist and chewy cookies
I'm sure that you like them too
So let's sit and have a dozen
We can eat them me and you

Cannot get enough of them
A minor seventh chord's my friend

I know that you do agree
So let's sit and have two dozen
We can eat them you and me

Instrumental Break

They're the best as we've discussed
So let's sit and have ten dozen
We can eat them all of us

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

I wanted to participate until I saw how much of a hassle posting a direct link was.

Isn't everything tech related a hassle sooner or later. If you have already written something, put work into it and want to share...work out the details. If you haven't picked up a guitar yet or turned a mic on...then don't bother I guess. Deadline is approaching fast.

A track that describes moistures with sound and music, and an Am7 chord.

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/northsman/s-1Nt3x

Omnisphere, Rain and birds from the internet.

Return to “Music Cafe”