"In your face" saw lead

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I have been trying to get those powerful saw lead sounds. Those that feel like right in your face with power. However, after trying many effects (unison, distortion, eq, compression...) I still cannot achieve the powerful level that I have in mind. So I am wondering how you guys would approach this. Thanks in advance for sharing your insights! :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Example?

Right...How can I forget about that... :dog:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Example?
Here it is (around 1:15)
https://youtu.be/DLqs2Hq9R6M?t=75
(Just in case you are curious, I do like mlp stuff :D )
Trance, Trance Is Life

It's just really wide, and it's not competing for space with anything else.

Listen to the snare drum while that synth is playing. It's more or less all 300hz and under, with a little bit of top end, but almost no midrange. In fact, it sounds like the snare and everything else is being ducked by the synth lol

_al_ wrote:It's just really wide
That's the trick!!! Thanks! :clap: The reason I didn't try this before is that I remember people saying if I push stereo maker too hard, it will lose focus. So I assume if I want powerful stuff, I should not widen it too much. But seems I "stick to the rule" too much.

Thanks again! :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

come on is this what impress you really?
Download the free Sylenth1 stuff i give and play a bit with E.M.P stuff - will make something better for sure :
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone/sylenth1

hhuang9611 wrote:
That's the trick!!! Thanks! :clap: The reason I didn't try this before is that I remember people saying if I push stereo maker too hard, it will lose focus. So I assume if I want powerful stuff, I should not widen it too much. But seems I "stick to the rule" too much.

Well, try to have something left when you collapse it to mono, so probably best approach is to widen only some frequency range or add wider layer, there's hard L&R trick too or Haas effect, experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_a9HmjUSVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSisQJDUavo
For Haas http://www.vennaudio.com/quick-haas/
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thanks! Really helpful :tu:
Zexila wrote: Well, try to have something left when you collapse it to mono, so probably best approach is to widen only some frequency range or add wider layer, there's hard L&R trick too or Haas effect, experiment.
Trance, Trance Is Life

Articial stereo widening has it's caveat - namely it will collapse back in mono. Instead it's much better to use multiple different tracks and pan them left and right.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Great advice! Just tried this, much better! :clap:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Articial stereo widening has it's caveat - namely it will collapse back in mono. Instead it's much better to use multiple different tracks and pan them left and right.
Trance, Trance Is Life

hhuang9611 wrote:

Again...layering is one, of several, secrets to big leads. Another thing, real quick, if you use MS processing to push the leads out the sides, make sure that you use a stereo plugin that is mono compatible while mixing. This is another topic that takes more explaining but I'll let you figure out how to balance mono and stereo in your mono-compatible mix.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

One more thing...

I know Chris Alge says the hell with mono devices...but, if you listen to some of the best mixes, they're all stereo compatible. Just try it...seriously.

Make a copy of your session and put a Utility plugin (Melda's Free bundle has a great one) and put it on your Master and set the mix to mono. Now, start mixing again, with your leads and such.

After a few minutes, turn off the mono. Now listen to that. Don't like what you hear? Then something in your mix is not mono-compatible. Use the bx_stereoizer demo to get this done, or the free Melda Stereo Expander, or something similar.

At some point, you should end up with something that has equal clarity of all your instruments in both mono and stereo.

My tip: mix for mono then add stereo for dimension.

Thanks! I always enjoy your detailed and very helpful comments :clap:
Mathematics wrote:One more thing...

I know Chris Alge says the hell with mono devices...but, if you listen to some of the best mixes, they're all stereo compatible. Just try it...seriously.

Make a copy of your session and put a Utility plugin (Melda's Free bundle has a great one) and put it on your Master and set the mix to mono. Now, start mixing again, with your leads and such.

After a few minutes, turn off the mono. Now listen to that. Don't like what you hear? Then something in your mix is not mono-compatible. Use the bx_stereoizer demo to get this done, or the free Melda Stereo Expander, or something similar.

At some point, you should end up with something that has equal clarity of all your instruments in both mono and stereo.

My tip: mix for mono then add stereo for dimension.
Trance, Trance Is Life

Thanks for the nice comment. You're the second person to actually thank me for the detailed posts. The only other person to have thanked me similarly in a PM was MogwaiBoy. Good luck to you!

Also consider layering multiple octaves.

Return to “Production Techniques”