MXXX: Take value from one parameter, multiply/divide by constant, pass to another parameter.

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I keep looking to do the same two things in various circumstances with MXXX, and not seeing via the manual or videos how to do them:

1) Take a value from one field and use it as input from another.

I can ENTER a value into a multiparameter, and use it to fill others, but I don't see how to take an existing value, and use it as the input. For instance, If I always want field 2 to match whatever is in field 1, how do I use field 1 as an input value without having to manually read the field and input it into field 2?

2) Use the math module to multiply/divide values fed to parameters.

As far as I understand, the routing diagram refers to audio signal, not control information, so right clicking on the math module and adjusting it's inputs/outputs is not what needed.

The "Parameters" section in multiparameters and modulators can recognize the math module as a destination, but how do I then route FROM the math module? In other words, if I want a multiparameter to send out a value, then for the math module to intercept it, divide it in half, and pass it on to, say, a compressor's threshold filed, I can route TO the math module from the multiparameter, but not seeing how the math module's output is then routed to the field within the compressor.

Paste this into MXXX:

Code: Select all

$eNrVV9tS4zgQfZ+vUHlfh-iaC1XAVJIxDFUEspgl7KMmVmIVimQkGch8-bRkOxOHBLLLMlWbF9utVl9Ot04rR1+eFww9Eqmo4MeO3-IcRPhUpJTPj51Czw56zpeTT0eju7s7RbQGsUJ-gKKDhoJrKRiDvTHH3xlJjx3YPZRCKQEWRyIlx04QpQNXTPXaws0yh4U+x0zMHfRVLidE92czMtXqnOeFPsOUWw9nf50n9AcJ4CPs9D53g8OVLMZqCfJezyvFF5TfW-cX10nOqNZEGjUftnpBZ1MMO0PQHeHni9OrARPTeyMFYQDCQSOiq0KvhzQqmKZjLPGCgC01hPxxrqrUb2sYu71u1O44J0ernE22yx9EomQhhM44UQq2tLy2gyaUp+KpBOUb5hy2jSWZUQYOAG74EpRrdMrwXA0giAjCeDalCj3I7fDwsN3pOO4utWhTzd0wLsUUghHSQ6sqws5Typh9STLxBFkKeYtZQZSV3WR0atF21-b76ArylDQlVn23YrCvYrivYvSGovuiDNDR3zFPvaqVtzZCQhg0AEnHrJib6nufDRyFlKLg6TCDShFWdT4YqX6meFZf1S-otGDsEvrl2Pm65HhBp-EDAksNkYofHFS22jlPyTP07QHo3Nm2+tvEWJtLNg9h1YD9Qov4YYwhqObCAPJUlRyMfaPzbIyVqvptjHxI9UI8-ZJdlLLtmLydfq1yK1ixIID+mcR5dnKU2-as820lGTbOkocCS5I6aJ1CHszR6Hpd3+t0e77fg-Ory9DEU5IRNvt2ZbHxW51uZ9XbBidb7jc87bQ+Jvi+stuDM9Px2sFhr7233b0yWPkIWlHwEbEHjfP+MbGHLf9DcA--Vez72N1aT7fqzL4kWJl+pwto9GvxZFkOFFakvQ7P-43AX1LjFkpvEvnuvU0e308v3FMvel3PXXH3Ucl1BWbUFKef4lzD2O2zuZBUZwtgVTLDMKgtidXLAywh1QjSF4WcEmtNUQWqlFelvcFyDoP-5UrtMuaPhImcoPjydnwdJ-ENXEFMcE2btdp+lUdLIPvA29YBnlUPdi+F+-aNdRKVbb8rWLeBq2m0xsRZCVYvagvbu3aumhtj86Z0siHwzE0uTqkW1UXxUsgFZuUFD1TgGNqaNBfLoWluY2aEJjmpb16mk0vVwRLNqFQa5bUrcx7rdzuNrzGfE9sLK3lp2MxK5KMDtDap4Sv+EwXwsG6Dyll9B9nPsP3c3OtuILIJkf9eiILfClFUQxS9mqa-mWbw3jTD35pmp06z845OeB2iYBOi8L0QRf8FRECmddCtbvsfQNatIev+SrsVtLdkHr6QKKCS-lTTRwJjD-6BIgNDeSEeYk2A8pfnmizO+Uwg4K-MzAu4z4wwZebFyM1zMpnAAxwOgbAI0GUZczlY1swbbzJH12C6JF4gsoq-JjTV2ajmerQ+hesy1iruqA7dXf-jfPLpJ4aj2Ms=
Look over at the multiparameters.
Gain 1 simply modulates Gain 2. This makes them linked when using Gain 1, Gain 2 follows it exactly.
This should satisfy your first question. If not then how and I will look at it again.
Gain 3 does the same and controls Gain 4 however, in Gain 4 I have limited the range of the parameter to half. So now when using Gain 3, Gain 4 will follow it and always have a value of exactly half.
Again, if this is not what you meant, please elaborate.

If you a new to pasting, simply copy all the code above and in the bottom right of MXXX there is a paste button that will load up the settings.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Hmmm... cutting and pasting is working fine between instances, but not from the code snippet. First time trying to paste into a plug in logic from clipboard taken elsewhere, so not sure if it's some sort of clipboard disconnect issue (Mac/Logic) or if I'm somehow not getting the right copy. Pasting this same code works on your end? (not missing a piece or something like that? Just trying to troubleshoot.)

Paste button.JPG
Here is the location of the paste button.

Maybe you didn't correctly copy ALL the text from the code?
It works here for me.

What version are you using?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, I've been using that button. Friend's computer with a tiny screen. Can't read it. Looks like 10.08?

That is why, you need to update. It will only paste correctly with the newer versions.
I am using 12.04

OK. I don't have admin rights on this system, so that may take a bit of work to resolve.

In the meantime, if you don't mind, how was the "Gain 1 moldulates Gain 2" bit achieved? I seem to be missing the piece about how to use an existing parameter as input.

In the second issue, I've more or less done that, but it comes back to the issue I mentioned in the other thread about mismatches in ranges causing inexact figures which is why I was hoping that using the math module could force an exact halving from one parameter to the next despite their range mismatch.

Just modulate Gain 2 MP with Gain 1 MP.

I know it sounds easy... which is why I was assuming it was, but I'm missing a fundamental piece of how to do that, and not seeing it in manual/videos.

I can see how to assign modulation TO a parameter.

I can see how to assign a MP TO a parameter.

I just haven't yet encountered an example (that I can remember) where a value is taken FROM one parameter, and fed to another.

I've got the rest, just not sure how to take a value FROM the first parameter in order to do the rest.

Sure, I can feed one MP into another, and use the 2nd to expand/collapse the range of the first, but that doesn't solve the original problem of needing to get the first one to read an existing parameter as it's input value rather than me having to type it. For insance, take the case of MAutodynamicEQ, it provides certain values on it's own. It decides the gain for a given band. If I want to automatically use that value somewhere else, I need to read that value, not type it into the MP.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

OK, it makes sense. I understand.

Unfortunately, it can not be done, sorry.

Annabanna wrote:Hmmm... cutting and pasting is working fine between instances, but not from the code snippet. First time trying to paste into a plug in logic from clipboard taken elsewhere, so not sure if it's some sort of clipboard disconnect issue (Mac/Logic) or if I'm somehow not getting the right copy. Pasting this same code works on your end? (not missing a piece or something like that? Just trying to troubleshoot.)
"Select all" doesn't work - I drag the mouse through all the snippet to select it, then Copy and Paste.
Last edited by DarkStar on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Multiparameters (MPs) and Modulators are data controllers - getting their input from the user or host; their targets are one or more parameters.

As I understand it, what you are looking for is to set the MP value from another parameter and for that MP to do its thing to its targets. That sounds interesting and could lead to some creative uses.

Would this approach be any help?
-- set up an MP to target a Band Gain AND the other target
-- instead of setting the Band Gain directly, set it using the MP
-- that will set the other parameter too

Here, as a simple example, I am setting Band 4's Gain and setting the complementary gain for Band 5:

Image >>> (Animated gif) https://i.imgur.com/isOWFUS.gif

And a composite screenshot of the MP:

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/mNhhau5.png
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, that's not addressing the core issue. I'm talking about values that simply are not user generated because the whole point of the plugin is to have them auto-generated.

Say, for instance, you've already analyzed source and target tracks in MAutoDynamicEQ. ALL of the relevant values have now been provided by the plug. Not one parameter has been set by the user, so if you want to do something basic like split the processing so it's not 100% static or 100% dynamic, you'd have to manually copy all the values from one column, and then manually paste them or type them in the other. Want to change that ratio? Erase them all again, calculate each one manually, and retype each.

I guess I was assuming there was some sort of data source select somewhere I was missing.

So, "parameter" apparently always means both source and destination in a modulator, and always means destination in a multiparameter. I guess I thought there was a way of selecting the parameter source separately for all those cases where parameters are generated by the plug rather than the user. Manually over-riding any of them via any version of controller spaghetti would be counterproductive as the plug's value is in the auto-generation of those parameters.

The short answer is "you cannot and you probably won't". What you want is a programming language :D. Basically the plugins try to provide access to whatever is possible. But internally the plugins have thousands of other values. Accessing them? Absolutely not. Sure it is possible, but it would take decades to program, would be impossible to maintain, you would need a supercomputer and nobody would know how to use that :D.

So, the direction is always multiparameter -> other parameters or multiparameters. Or modulator -> .... An exception is meters, which are available in modules inside MXXX, which can be used to do the opposite - drive a multiparameter. But this is intended only for visualisation anyways and it's actually an ugly hack.

So you want like "take the ratio from one band, multiply it with frequency 700Hz from the analyzer, and add some custom value", that's not going to happen I'm afraid.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Fair enough. Thx. I guess I was assuming it was much simpler that what you're describing... like just choose a parameter as a data source.

I've got a list of concepts I came up with that I thought MXX might be able to address.

I'll cross those that require data from the plug off the list. There's still plenty left on the list.

Return to “MeldaProduction”