I probably need a shrink(Hardware VS software)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been collecting more and more gear over the years, and now suddenly I've started feeling like using VSTis are not as 'real'.

I love using plugins, both instruments and fx, but for some reason I feel it is less authentic or some bs like that. Can't put my finger on it and the beers doesn't help on my aim.

Anyone else feels this way and can somebody please set me straight? It's so silly...

Whatever makes you happy and productive in the end of the day.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

gaf_thit wrote:I've been collecting more and more gear over the years, and now suddenly I've started feeling like using VSTis are not as 'real'.

I love using plugins, both instruments and fx, but for some reason I feel it is less authentic or some bs like that. Can't put my finger on it and the beers doesn't help on my aim.

Anyone else feels this way and can somebody please set me straight? It's so silly...
Nothing silly about the urge to have a little "hands on", i think. :) I always had a problem being able to decide for hardware, though. The hardware which would give me what i want from it (a decent amount of polyphony, a decent amount of controls, and very good sound) is pretty expensive, think Virus, Waldorf Q, Nord Lead, and the likes. So, basically, stuck to software. I bet i'd sorely miss the workflow of in-the-box anyway, if i had some hardware.

Everyone knows hardware is better than software. Especially analog hardware. :ud:

Try recording an entire album without any audio going through your computer and then come back to us with "software is so inauthentic."

I thought when drunk we where supposed to compliment each other in off topic, not get maudlin about our lot in life and/or overabundance/lack of equipment?

vurt wrote:I thought when drunk we where supposed to compliment each other in off topic, not get maudlin about our lot in life and/or overabundance/lack of equipment?
I forgot... Good thread going there, Vurt

ghettosynth wrote:Try recording an entire album without any audio going through your computer and then come back to us with "software is so inauthentic."
Hehe, good point.

vurt wrote:I thought when drunk we where supposed to compliment each other in off topic, not get maudlin about our lot in life and/or overabundance/lack of equipment?
Except that, this isn’t in «off topic».
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

ghettosynth wrote:Try recording an entire album without any audio going through your computer and then come back to us with "software is so inauthentic."
He is specific about VSTi and effects.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I realize you (and others) aren't really after serious advice, as in fairness software can easily stake a claim to be 'authentic' due to:
A) the reliance on many software instruments in all manner of 'authentic' songs nowadays, and
B) the fantastic rate of progress/quality made by software developers during the past 15 or so years.

Also, I would imagine that most of us use hybrid hardware/software setups of some mixture, so the hardware vs software as useful tools debate has moved on a long way since, say, 2002.

However, your thread title got me thinking: we now live in lucky age where we're physically shrink(ing) hardware synths to the size of calculators and smaller, and getting joyful and decent results from these. Allied to compact modular systems and super sounding software products which take up barely any negligible hit on multi gigabyte (and terabyte) disc drives, and we are now living in a golden age of miniscule software and hardware operations.
Yes, I own a few large hardware synths that I very much enjoy using (eg my SH-3 and D50), but size matters and we're lucky that 'authentic' songs can now also be made on the move with our physically shrinking but powerful machines.

I wonder how the next step in software / hardware progress will come about :)
(And no, I don't need a shrink yet - or at least the voices in my head say not).

Good points, Dark Water.
By authentic, I'm not really sure what I meant when I wrote the OP. Maybe that it's not physical objects.

I think one of the reasons for my thinking, is that I have to compensate for the cost of the gear by using it instead of VSTi's.
But there is a lot that I never will afford in gear.
So I'll just shut up and play, I guess...
Was looking for advice in the way of: «You are just being silly. Just play and be merry». I got that so...although I think I'll sell some more gear soon. It's a bit distracting sometimes. Maybe get a real good controller.

Having hardware means more dusting. Who wants that?

those who like the feel of a real knob in their hands?

I'm good with m' p0rn, thx.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”