Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

v1o wrote:
foosnark wrote:Aparillo is nothing at all like Aalto. I actually kind of dislike Aparillo for having a completely un-synthlike interface, and I'm so dissuaded by that that I'm not sure whether I like the sound either.

Looking forward to checking out Sumu.
Kaivo and Aparillo are both unconventional synths which are heavily skewed into creative sound design and sound fx. They also both excel at making clangy metallic sounds and some truly alien textures. Yes the underlying synthesis methods are different and they have different UI concepts. Aparillo has succeeded where Kaivo failed in being more accessible and approachable.
Each to their own. I however disgree on the basis that Kaivo is a 1 page synth with everything accessible and Aparillo has multiple little pages, which I get annoyed flipping between. Plus Kaivo is a granular sampler with physical modelling and Aparillo is a Fm synth with a parameter morpher. I have gotten a few nice sounds out of Aparillo after a lot of fine tuning, Kaivo for me atleast has created gorgeous sounds with depth and originality ( love making multichannel samples for it). Usefulness is down to the user and both synths a very different.

DrFolder wrote:
v1o wrote:
foosnark wrote:Aparillo is nothing at all like Aalto. I actually kind of dislike Aparillo for having a completely un-synthlike interface, and I'm so dissuaded by that that I'm not sure whether I like the sound either.

Looking forward to checking out Sumu.
Kaivo and Aparillo are both unconventional synths which are heavily skewed into creative sound design and sound fx. They also both excel at making clangy metallic sounds and some truly alien textures. Yes the underlying synthesis methods are different and they have different UI concepts. Aparillo has succeeded where Kaivo failed in being more accessible and approachable.
Each to their own. I however disgree on the basis that Kaivo is a 1 page synth with everything accessible and Aparillo has multiple little pages, which I get annoyed flipping between. Plus Kaivo is a granular sampler with physical modelling and Aparillo is a Fm synth with a parameter morpher. I have gotten a few nice sounds out of Aparillo after a lot of fine tuning, Kaivo for me atleast has created gorgeous sounds with depth and originality ( love making multichannel samples for it). Usefulness is down to the user and both synths a very different.
+1 to DrFolder on everything

v1o wrote:Kaivo and Aparillo are both unconventional synths which are heavily skewed into creative sound design and sound fx. They also both excel at making clangy metallic sounds and some truly alien textures.

There are dozens, or hundreds, of synths that fall into that territory.
v1o wrote:Yes the underlying synthesis methods are different and they have different UI concepts. Aparillo has succeeded where Kaivo failed in being more accessible and approachable.
I find Aparillo cryptic, not accessible or approachable.

I demo'd Kaivo for a few minutes a few years ago and bounced off it at the time. But I feel like, after I fell in love with Aalto, I could give Kaivo another chance.

First off, I think Kaivo is vastly misrepresented in this thread. Secondly, I have room for, and am extremely interested in a modular additive. Thirdly, quality has a price, because... intel.

I have no idea how the new sugar bytes one made it's way in this thread except to say the people who hang out here are not bad folks, they are just trying to make a few pounds, and they do that by representing the VST's they make presets for.

I am, however, fascinated by these new approaches to programming sounds. These programmers (devs) are getting extremely creative with the limitations they have been handed. Quite frankly, the coding possibilities are light years ahead of the hardware possibilities. Aprillo is fascinating to me because I can see that's where the software is headed in the immediate future until we can harness the power of duality and causality, something that is in the VERY near future!

until then, we have approaches that take away the heart of the engine for more innovative ways to manipulate presets, or preconceived sounds. That's just where the hardware is right now. I fear the repercussions on the future of music and synthesis though TBH. Quantum computing may not arrive in time to save it. That remains to be seen.

I tried Kaivo again, and it's still not my cup of tea. It's interesting, but I don't love it like Aalto. Still quite looking forward to checking out Sumu.

Kaivo is probably my favourite of the three but then I've got a big crush on both granular synthesis and physical modelling so having the two combined makes my tummy go all funny !

It’s spring and no SUMU on the horizon...
I‘m chewing my nails...
Curiosity kills the cat!

Randy posted this message about Sumu on the Madrona Labs Forum:
"I am really liking the design! If Kaivo is granular meets physical modeling, then Sumu is additive meets FM. More soon."

Sumu is additive meets FM.

:love:

Something new in the West?

WAITING Jake Bugg

All the time before I knew you
Seems now so long
And I cannot explain
Even if I try
No, you never make it easy
Know it's hard to be strong
But all in good time
I can wait

I'll be waiting
I'll be waiting
For I cannot explain
Even if I try
When you're leaving
I'll be waiting
For I cannot refuse you
I've tried

All the years spent together
Slowly aging on
And I wonder just what's wrong
Are you tired

This thread is about Sumu people. Let’s not get carried away.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Saw it as a poetic bump...
Anxious to have some news about Sumu’s development too.
No talent for poetry though.
Sorry.

v1o wrote:This thread is about Sumu people.
Of which there are only 17 500 left. Most in Nicaragua and Honduras. :D

Cheers.

I think Madrona Labs have such a poor reputation on CPU hit because people see that an empty, silent patch causes notable CPU consumption by itself and they run a mile. Thing is, the CPU hit when you first open the synth is almost always the highest you'll ever see it go. All available voices are constantly running in (all?) ML plugs due to the architecture, where the concept of MIDI 'note-on/off' doesn't really exist outside of the envelope section. Doesn't matter how hard you're pushing things, CPU hit rarely changes. They're very predictable. Changing max available voices is just about the only thing that changes CPU hit in Madrona synths. They're on the heavy side, for sure, but there are plenty of synths out there which get heavier with a comparable number of voices playing.

Return to “Instruments”