Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Past To The Future

Arturia's 21 classic synth and keyboard emulations REBORN!

HALF PRICE SALE NOW ON.

Go "Past To The Future" with Arturia.

Read more at www.arturia.com
dayjob
KVRian

1217 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Postby dayjob; Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 pm Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

cron wrote:I think Madrona Labs have such a poor reputation on CPU hit because people see that an empty, silent patch causes notable CPU consumption by itself and they run a mile. Thing is, the CPU hit when you first open the synth is almost always the highest you'll ever see it go. All available voices are constantly running in (all?) ML plugs due to the architecture, where the concept of MIDI 'note-on/off' doesn't really exist outside of the envelope section. Doesn't matter how hard you're pushing things, CPU hit rarely changes. They're very predictable. Changing max available voices is just about the only thing that changes CPU hit in Madrona synths. They're on the heavy side, for sure, but there are plenty of synths out there which get heavier with a comparable number of voices playing.

exactly! and he explained on the forum some years ago. i can't recall if this info is in the manual somewhere though...

https://madronalabs.com/topics/3565-get ... t-of-kaivo

Always on
Like Aalto, and unlike most plugins, when you make an instance of Kaivo in a VST or AU host it is always running: all the algorithms are computing along at full tilt even though no sounds may be coming out. This feature lets you bring up the gate level manually or use Kaivo’s sequencer live without running the host, to play with sounds right in the plugin like you would on an analog modular system. This feature can be confusing if you’re not aware of it. I've had some feedback like “Kaivo had my CPU at 50% before I even played a note!” --- which sounds pretty scary, unless you realize that this is also the maximum it can use with the number of voices you have chosen.
experimental.crow
KVRAF

5431 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "
Neon Breath
KVRAF

2829 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Postby Neon Breath; Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm Re: Madrona Labs Sumu

experimental.crow wrote:this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "

Spectral modular uh? Sounds promising no doubt! Thanks for the update :tu:
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments