Why my Martin D-28 is called dreadnought?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I purchased my D-28 in Atlanta, when I happned to find a very affordable, used one in a local guitarstore.

Of course D-28, or any Martin, belongs to all (many) guitar players wishlist.

But where does the name dreadnought come from?

When C.F. Martin & Co. built their innovative large-body guitars in the early 1900s, they wanted to give them a name synonymous with enormity. So they were named dreadnoughts, after HMS Dreadnought, a World War I era British battleship.

First dreadnoughts were manufactured in 1916, but the D-28 was born years later, in 1931. Martin wanted a big sound, that demand came from the orchester guitarists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)

Because I dread paying that much for an acoustic guitar and I'm nought going to buy one ? :borg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Luv my D-28! Worth every farthing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:...Worth farting.
:?:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Worth every dinarius!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Fun thread .... Dreadnaught it's a type big boat or ship that had big loud cannons or guns ... Some bluegrass players will bragg about a guitar being a cannon " loud " dreadnaught ! .... Anyways dreadnaught is a bluegrass shape guitar made to be loud and heard over banjos ,fiddles , and other loud bluegrass instruments ...etc.. etc .. now today with modern stage mics , pickups and P.A.s the dreadnaught is really not needed for volume ( cannon fire ) I like the dreadnaught shape I have an Alvarez MD65 ... It's cedar top and mahogany back n sides ... It's loud like a Martin , I played many in the store before I decided on it even tried the D35 and D28 ... I really prefer the HD28 and HD35 Martin's over the regular D series ...
Allot has to do with the internal bracing of the top that's inside the guitar , placement and shaving etc etc .... Make the tone and volume ....Personally I like the looks of the Grand Auditorium shape that Taylor ,Breedlove , and Alvarez do . And I dislike cutaways ... I used to like them in the 90s , I also hate black , plastic , and gold plated hardware and knobs , nuts and saddles .. graphtec is ok .

oooo cool thread.

I have a Martin D 62 . It is kind of odd ball. Its a D18 with beautiful tiger maple back and sides. Martin dreads are perfect for playing and singing. they are scooped in the mids allowing your voice to come through while projecting a good bit of bass and shimmering highs. Not for the blues player. but great all round instrument.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I actually prefer the D18...

But my favourite Martin is the OM28v....

That one is a funking cannon :wink:
No auto tune...

Yeah , Martin's ...... I'd like to buy a used HD35 .... or a used Alvarez Yairi DYMR70SB too . I bought a Guild D20 recently and hated it , nothing like a Guild D25CH from early 1970s ..... I'm gonna Google the D62

Haven't played a D18 yet but it has the forward shifted scalloped bracing that the pre war and also the HD 28 n HD 35 have . $1800 or less used ain't bad ...

I thought that only the OM's had the "foward shifted bracing" ?

There's a bit of BS to do with that...

They had to move the sound hole back to accommodate the 25.4" scale length,so they called it foward shifted bracing :wink:

I had a couple of OM 28's custom made for me with Tasmanian blackwood back and sides,AAAA German spruce tops and ebony fingerboards and bridges...

They were sensational guitars and a great tax deduction :wink:

Unfortunately,one was smashed by the airlines on my way into LAX one time and the other one was stolen in a major burglary :(
No auto tune...

Large Jumbos for the win, looking at the Lowden O shape... :)

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Large Jumbos for the win, looking at the Lowden O shape... :)
Just watch the size of those Lowden jumbos...

I had a nice one,but they do give you a twitch in the shoulder....

Just like the girl was heard to say once...

"An extra inch can mean the difference between pleasure and pain" :wink:
No auto tune...

Cheers, going to a couple of shops in the UK over the next few weeks that have over 75 Lowdens in stock between them (Peach Music and Coda Music), so will get to hone in on exactly which size and wood combo works for me. It might be that the O is just too big. :)

Lowdens are sweet .... And they look cool too .

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”