Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Gave Chris from V5 a whirl. I got him to sound decent but I'd never use him for anything other than EDM stuff.

Life On Mars

V5 is still a PITA to work with.
Nice I got a little Kraftwerk vibe here :tu:
Thanks. I'm not sure what I was going for here.
Well it gave me some idea of what I could do with it perhaps. Are you using the standalone v5 editor now or do you use the editor in a DAW?

GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Gave Chris from V5 a whirl. I got him to sound decent but I'd never use him for anything other than EDM stuff.

Life On Mars

V5 is still a PITA to work with.
Nice I got a little Kraftwerk vibe here :tu:
Thanks. I'm not sure what I was going for here.
Well it gave me some idea of what I could do with it perhaps. Are you using the standalone v5 editor now or do you use the editor in a DAW?
I use the VST version in Cubase.

I think Vocaloid is great as long as you take it for what it is, a computerized singer. Nobody complains because a vocoder doesn't sound "real", because that's the sound we're going for when we use a vocoder.

Having seen a few decades of music come and go, I can assure you that someday people will paying the big bucks to .. "get that classic 2018 vocaloid sound .." lol.

Or, to say that another way, older folk remember people complaining about 80's music .. in the 80's .. all the gimmicks, silly hair, etc .. now people have fond memories of it, and it will probably be the same for vocaloids.

Take that vocaloid and run with it ... see what it can do, it is what it is. If you don't like it for anything else I would think that it's the perfect filler to use for crafting a track until you can get a singer into a studio to record some vocals, it let's you play with the vocals to see how you like them in the track, tweak them, etc, so you don't waste a vocalist's time (and your money). I've heard of people using sampled instruments for the same reason .. they may not sound perfect, or "real", but it's probably a lot easier to let a saxophone player hear your track with a synth sax part than it is to just hand them some sheet music and hope they understand what you're going for. With a vocaloid in the track you could be like .. "and listen, here's where you'll break in with '[insert lyrics here]' .." and your vocalist immediately knows the entire context of what they're doing, and can probably give you want you want. Movie producers do the same thing with animatics. They'll throw together an "animated" video that is somewhere between a static storyboard and an actual animation or scene with some rough pencil drawings, basic melody, etc, so everyone can see where they are trying to go in pre-production, it's just an easy way to explain to everyone on the film crew what the director and producer are aiming for.

low_low wrote:I think Vocaloid is great as long as you take it for what it is, a computerized singer. Nobody complains because a vocoder doesn't sound "real", because that's the sound we're going for when we use a vocoder.

Having seen a few decades of music come and go, I can assure you that someday people will paying the big bucks to .. "get that classic 2018 vocaloid sound .." lol.

Or, to say that another way, older folk remember people complaining about 80's music .. in the 80's .. all the gimmicks, silly hair, etc .. now people have fond memories of it, and it will probably be the same for vocaloids.

Take that vocaloid and run with it ... see what it can do, it is what it is. If you don't like it for anything else I would think that it's the perfect filler to use for crafting a track until you can get a singer into a studio to record some vocals, it let's you play with the vocals to see how you like them in the track, tweak them, etc, so you don't waste a vocalist's time (and your money). I've heard of people using sampled instruments for the same reason .. they may not sound perfect, or "real", but it's probably a lot easier to let a saxophone player hear your track with a synth sax part than it is to just hand them some sheet music and hope they understand what you're going for. With a vocaloid in the track you could be like .. "and listen, here's where you'll break in with '[insert lyrics here]' .." and your vocalist immediately knows the entire context of what they're doing, and can probably give you want you want. Movie producers do the same thing with animatics. They'll throw together an "animated" video that is somewhere between a static storyboard and an actual animation or scene with some rough pencil drawings, basic melody, etc, so everyone can see where they are trying to go in pre-production, it's just an easy way to explain to everyone on the film crew what the director and producer are aiming for.
Bless you. The newest member here has more sense than...never mind. Sir, this is EXACTLY how I feel. All the hatred that has been tossed my way for using Vocaloid in my music (Some have literally said they will never listen to one of my songs as long as I use Vocaloid) quite honestly has me baffled beyond belief.

So bless you. SOMEBODY with some common sense and a refreshing attitude.

wagtunes wrote:All the hatred that has been tossed my way ...
I'm impressed by the software and see a lot of potential in the new version, I especially like the whispers like "Air Blip", "Shimmer", etc, for their potential in breaks, and the Robotic types with their associated style presets. Those are some of the prettiest vocoder style sounds I've heard, even though they aren't created with a vocoder of course ("To the Stars" could be used in any Techno track). To me it's just another synth, and I see a lot of creative potential in it, even without effects and tinkering. The Presets alone are worth the price of admission.

I'm watching an episode of "Numbers" with my wife on DVD and the first scene has this rock song playing over the action. And I'm listening to the vocals and it finally hit me what the basic problem with Vocaloid is.

The vocals on this rock track were the guy basically singing from his throat and trying to make it as rough sounding as he can. It as anything but smooth.

Vocaloid can't do that. Even though each Vocaloid has its own little character, the overall character of the engine itself is very one dimensional. Each voice is very smooth and, for the lack of a better term, plastic sounding. There's no roughness. Oh yeah, they have this "growl" feature but it's laughable. I never use it.

Until Vocaloid can design a singer that has the many nuances of the human voice which includes dynamics, harshness and so many other characteristics, all it's ever going to be is a sketch tool or something to use for synthetic vocals. And for certain kinds of music, it's adequate. For other kinds of music, well, let's just say it doesn't work as well.

My reasons for using it are more out of necessity than pure love for the software itself, though I do have to admit that over time I have come to actually like the sound. But it's still a one dimensional sound.

I'm never going to try to pull off John Kay singing "Born To Be Wild"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMWlD3fLJ8

Now something like this from 1971, I can see Vocaloid doing a reasonable job on the girl's voice because it's all air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfMPDj3Pllc

wagtunes wrote:
low_low wrote:I think Vocaloid is great as long as you take it for what it is, a computerized singer. Nobody complains because a vocoder doesn't sound "real", because that's the sound we're going for when we use a vocoder.

Bless you. The newest member here has more sense than...never mind. Sir, this is EXACTLY how I feel. All the hatred that has been tossed my way for using Vocaloid in my music (Some have literally said they will never listen to one of my songs as long as I use Vocaloid) quite honestly has me baffled beyond belief.

Two quite ignorant posts.

I don’t know why you think no one else takes Vocaloid for what it is.
And that this great revelation that ‘it is what it is’ means they have to like it, and enjoy your tracks.
Baffled, indeed.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:Two quite ignorant posts.

And that this great revelation that ‘it is what it is’ means they have to like it, and enjoy your tracks.
Baffled, indeed.
Wow.

BMoore wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Two quite ignorant posts.

Baffled, indeed.
You were warned to stay away from me. Reported.

It's the best version they ever came out with!

benheman wrote:It's the best version they ever came out with!
Sound wise, probably. Work flow wise, debatable. There were lots of things about the V4 Cubase Editor that I liked a lot better. Of course for everybody else they had to use it standalone as there was no VST version at all, so I guess for the rest of the world V5 is a step up for VST owners in general. But for us Cubase guys, a major step back because the V4 editor was amazing.

wagtunes wrote:
benheman wrote:It's the best version they ever came out with!
Sound wise, probably. Work flow wise, debatable. There were lots of things about the V4 Cubase Editor that I liked a lot better. Of course for everybody else they had to use it standalone as there was no VST version at all, so I guess for the rest of the world V5 is a step up for VST owners in general. But for us Cubase guys, a major step back because the V4 editor was amazing.
As I understood it the new general VST should work for Cubase as well, right? But is the new VSTplugin not as good as the old Cubase? Too me the new phrases seem like a great tool.

wagtunes wrote: You were warned to stay away from me. Reported.
You can’t take one ounce of criticism, even if it’s someone saying «horrible», or being more specific constructive. You really should stay out of forums.
I bet your crying sounds as bad as your Vocaloid tunes.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:
wagtunes wrote: You were warned to stay away from me. Reported.
You can’t take one ounce of criticism, even if it’s someone saying «horrible», or being more specific constructive. You really should stay out of forums.
I bet your crying sounds as bad as your Vocaloid tunes.
Reported, again.

Return to “Instruments”