ZYNAPTIQ Intensity

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Intensity

jl303 wrote:HI @Zynaptiq,
Thank you for the interesting plugin!
A quick question. How does "The unique algorithm" of Intensity decide what is "important signal features making sounds sound more like themselves" in real time?
Wouldn't the plugin need to have an opportunity to analyze the materials in advance from listening?
I'm afraid I can't go into the nuts and bolts of that, it's the secret sauce. But I'll say that our AI algorithms typically have analyzed many, many files in their early youth. We send them to school, you know :D
Zynaptiq - Audio Software Based On Artificial Intelligence Technology, makers of PITCHMAP: Real-Time Polyphonic Pitch Correction And Mapping.

One (further!) feature tweak request - is it possible to make the monitoring section separate from the preset recall? Every time I change to compare different presets, the level leaps as the level compensated option switches away.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

My first encounter with Zynaptiq Intensity, processing one of my Groove Agent beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL0t1NNu7aY

Processing a backing track from a live performance with Zynaptiq Intensity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbPXkIdCPQ

No takers on the videos? Okay, I go first then I guess... The second video, the one on the whole mix, sounds to me like the sound improved quite a lot, especially clarity. Kind of like eating a piece of candy with or without the wrapper left on it.

At the same time, to me it sounds mostly like there was an EQ boost in the high mids/low highs, to bring out the details of the main music lines (someone else might disagree with me). If so, wouldn't the effect be about the same using an exciter or other harmonic enhancer? (I'm sure this is not a question of simple EQing, I just account for what I heard.)

Thanks for uploading the videos!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:If so, wouldn't the effect be about the same using an exciter or other harmonic enhancer? (I'm sure this is not a question of simple EQing, I just account for what I heard.)
After hitting the plugin with a ton of audio material (individual instruments, submix buses and full mixes) I purchased it, even if I was a hard critique on this thread.
I can say that at times the result may seem like an exciter. Other times may sound overcompressed and soft at minimal setting. You really need to experiment but at this moment (at least for me) a good rule of thumb to get some extra out of a sound (I am not referring to extreme treatment, just "improvement") is to gently push the intensity until you notice change then dial back a little. Leave the effect on, work on your project then disable it. If you feel like the effect is missing then the plugin did a good job.
And the second rule of thumb: you can go harder on simple sounds (or individual instruments) and softer (otherwise will overcook quickly) on submixes or even full mixes.

TIP: I experimented with placing two instances, one on Mid (with high boost bias curve) and one on Side (with smooth bell boost bias curve) on a full mix and is really easy to make a mix sound wide without affecting mono compatibility.

sircuit wrote: TIP: I experimented with placing two instances, one on Mid (with high boost bias curve) and one on Side (with smooth bell boost bias curve) on a full mix and is really easy to make a mix sound wide without affecting mono compatibility.
Pics of your settings or it didn't happen :D

Thanks circuit for sharing your experience! :tu:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Mmmm... Thanks for sharing but, the more I read, the less excited I am about this plugin. It appears to be useful occasionally but, since it is such a “black box”, you would have to try it on every single case to decide. You can’t know beforehand what to expect, and hence decide whether to use it.
It would be impossible to manage a large collection of plugins if this were the case for each.
Of course, reviewers getting a free evaluation copy have fun playing with the plugin.
But those of us having to spend hard earned money face a more difficult decision.
Please note I wish to remain open minded, and even to b convinced I am wrong.
However, so far, this will not be part of my toolbox. Waiting for Gullfoss for Windows... :)

pumafred wrote: Of course, reviewers getting a free evaluation copy have fun playing with the plugin.
Just in case you were referring to me: I have not received a free evaluation copy and I haven't bought Intensity yet and most probably won't.

I'm not a fan of black boxes either unless they are purely creative effects where I'm more tolerant. I think that the comparison of interest here is not wet vs dry, but wet vs alternative wet vs dry. What do you have to do with other plugins to achieve "similar" effects. I did not say identical for a reason. The marginal improvement per buck wrt wasted time is what matters here.

I've generally sworn off sound-gooderizers, no matter how much magic elf dust was used in their creation. I have a few magic tools and they seldom get used.

Intensity's cpu usage is surprisingly very high on my Windows i7 so I contacted Zinaptiq to ask if they had any future plans to improve the cpu usage. Their response was that they already consider the cpu quite low considering what it does which I take to mean,no,they don't plan to target cpu as an area that needs improvement. For me, I can't use it on every project which is unfortunate. That's the only thing I find fault with. I do like the plugin though when I can use it. Anybody else run into this issue?

Edit: I decided to try Intensity again and realized Intensity could replace 3 other plugins (one of which is known for fairly high cpu usage) that I had on the same channel and still does a better job than the 3 so I can probably get more use out of it than I initially thought.
I still think the usage can be improved on though.
Last edited by dblock on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

jbarish wrote:
sircuit wrote: TIP: I experimented with placing two instances, one on Mid (with high boost bias curve) and one on Side (with smooth bell boost bias curve) on a full mix and is really easy to make a mix sound wide without affecting mono compatibility.
Pics of your settings or it didn't happen :D
Really not needed in this case: 1-5% on the Mid because the signal is hot and more intensity will damage the transients in full wet mode, and up to 20% on the Side, then bias eq to boost the midrange a bit.

As always A/B with the bypass, you only need to hear something is missing when the effect is off.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
pumafred wrote: Of course, reviewers getting a free evaluation copy have fun playing with the plugin.
Just in case you were referring to me: I have not received a free evaluation copy and I haven't bought Intensity yet and most probably won't.
Nooooo, no, please! No offense intended. I did not even suggest that the free copy was influencing evaluations. I meant to say that Intensity might be fun as a free plugin, but not worthwhile as a paid tool.
Again, nothing against you at all. Apologies if I suggested otherwise.

Will this be the only opportunity that I can buy intensity at $149?
Trance, Trance Is Life

Return to “Effects”