Calling all roland system 8 users

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone here have the Roland system 8 ?
I can't find any info about the presets how many ? Third party etc
And I never had a hard ware synths I was just wondering about can I draw midi in ableton with the system 8 ? I know it works as a audio interface. Thanks in advance

Do you mean how will you record MIDI notes from the System 8 as you play the synth?

If so, you'll arm a MIDI track the way you would record audio, except Live will record MIDI notes on the piano roll as you play. If you want to record the audio coming from the System 8 at the same time, you'll need to arm a separate audio track in Live, and using an External Instrument device on the MIDI track, route the audio output from the MIDI track to the audio track.

See page 429 of the Ableton Live user manual for more details.

Thanks for your wisdom
I mean can I use midi the same as zebra or diva with any hardware synths thanks once again :-)

lectropunk wrote:Thanks for your wisdom
I mean can I use midi the same as zebra or diva with any hardware synths thanks once again :-)
Yes, you just set the output MIDI channel of your MIDI track to the MIDI channel that you have set for the System 1. Live will then send the MIDI notes to the Roland and it will play just like a softsynth would.

Thanks for that very helpful
:-)

First, you can write the notes in Live, send that sequence to the system 8.

Then you could record any movement to the S8 parameters in MIDI in Live, and make adjustments to those automation lanes later.

I have an S8, it comes with 64 presets per engine (the System 8, Jupiter and Juno each one), then you can add a plugout in the empty slot (Sh02, Sh101, System 100 and promars) and it will also load 64 presets.

There are few third parties presets banks, but the best part of the S8 is that having all those controls infront of you makes programming your own sounds fast and easy, you will be having fun very fast.
dedication to flying

Deadly sounds great I was going to get a virus ti desk top now I have changed my mind
:-)

I know it's a old tread but if you had a choice between the system 8 or notation peak
Which would you pick

lectropunk wrote:I know it's a old tread but if you had a choice between the system 8 or notation peak
Which would you pick
With the last update to the S8 it now has quite a broad Sonic palette.

I think it depends a lot on how you work, if you are DAW centric the Peak uses less space, has more memory and more modulation option.

If you intend to jam the system 8 has a keyboard and sequencer and it is bitimbral.

But soundwise it is a tie for me.
dedication to flying

Deadly thanks for this

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”