Softsynths with "modern" sound ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJErmac wrote:
recursive one wrote:
DJErmac wrote: Imho, Massive, Sylenth1 and co are outdated as soon as you hear Avenger.
Not sure what "outdated" means but I still much prefer the sound of Sylenth and Massive to Avenger.
I mean that you need extra processing and/or layering to get the same sound as nowadays radio/commercial EDM sounds. With Avenger you get it straight away (yeah, what has been said is true, you can get it with other synths, but it needs extra work and sometimes it can't be made inside the synth, in Avenger it CAN). I don't know if they're all using Avenger or not, but if you use Avenger, you get their sound instantly.

No depreciative meaning intended : everybody is free to prefer the sound of every synth in the world (I loooooove Icarus but wouldn't recommend it for modern EDM). But if you're trying to clone nowadays mainstream EDM, Avenger is the way to go.

I know that some EDM producers you see on Youtube in tutorials still use Serum and Sylenth1 though, but they're not the ones you hear on the radio all around the world, most of the time they use cracked licences anyway, they represent strictly nothing.
Yes, I think you are right. I spoke any about my own preferences. I don't listen to modern EDM much, I prefer older trance/psytrance with fatter/warmer and less polished sound. But when I load Avenger demo I hear this "plastic" sound which I associate with current EDM. However modern sound-design is not only about EDM.
izonin wrote: They are Russian 100%. Just look up "reveal-sound.com" on who.is
Probably they are just trying to avoid issues with having a company registered in Russia.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:However modern sound-design is not only about EDM.
You're totally right, modern sound is not only about EDM, but as I'm into EDM, I'm only talking about what I've personnaly experienced and tried to reproduce. I'll let people talk about other genres they know.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

A wavetable osc based synth with lots of waveforms, zero delay filter(s), extensive modulation matrix, FM capability, big unison, supersaw ready with a good amount of high quality onboard effects should be modern enough, I guess.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Chapelle wrote: Not sure if I am missing something here, but one only gets the sound straight away when using the presets, and for presets I would just get Nexus instead, as it uses much less CPU.

Designing your own layered sounds doesn't take much less effort with Avenger than using multiple instances of other synths with additional processing in the DAW, or does it?
I don't have Nexus, but I'm convinced it's modern-music-ready from what I've heard, so I'm sure you're right.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Spire too, some of the sound banks demo's sound as good as it gets, like listening to fully produced tracks, good sound designers that also make music, so they sculpt their sounds to be as ready as they can be and used in actual context, huge plus in my book.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

recursive one wrote:
izonin wrote: They are Russian 100%. Just look up "reveal-sound.com" on who.is
Probably they are just trying to avoid issues with having a company registered in Russia.
Hm... i just saw that they're registered as a business in Czech Republic now. Before, they were registered in Belize, which i know for sure in Russia you can buy the citizenship, to avoid taxes. Let's just say their business side is one of the more shady stories in the plugin business. ;) Which is also a reason i was rather reluctant when they first released Spire. They did a great job after that, so, all good.
Zexila wrote:Spire too, some of the sound banks demo's sound as good as it gets, like listening to fully produced tracks, good sound designers that also make music, so they sculpt their sounds to be as ready as they can be and used in actual context, huge plus in my book.
Yep. :tu:

Nielzie wrote:A wavetable osc based synth with lots of waveforms, zero delay filter(s), extensive modulation matrix, FM capability, big unison, supersaw ready with a good amount of high quality onboard effects should be modern enough, I guess.
Only synth i know which ticks most, or all of those boxes is Dune 2. If you happen to dig the sound.

Can't all synths sound modern?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

IMO, no. Only the modern sounding ones. ;)

Once some popular EDM artist uses them, yes :hihi:

chk071 wrote:IMO, no. Only the modern sounding ones. ;)
If so, name a few "outdated" synths that can't be used in modern music :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I wouldn't say they can't be used in modern music. I wouldn't say either that many of the "usual suspect" recommendation supersaw synths, which get proposed here frequently can't be used in the respective genres. Just that some synths rather lend themselves for use, because they're able to get to the point a lot quicker, and produce better results than others.

So most synths CAN sound modern, but it just takes a little more time, and a few more "external" effects, and some layering maybe?

I'm surprised though that this thread hasn't yet turned to a "name all synths you know" thread :)
Last edited by starflakeprj on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMO, it has. Mostly because people don't seem to read the original post properly.

Return to “Instruments”