Realistic 42-2108 Stereo Reverb unit... - should I get it..?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi; I've seen a Realistic 42-2108 Stereo Reverb unit going cheap, and I want to know; should I get it? - Can it hook up to a standard PC? - Does anyone know what inputs/outputs it has?

Does it give good quality reverb at appropiate sample frequencies etc.?

Is it worth, say £10?
I know there are better things to get obviously, but I'm on a budget here, and some reverb system would be good.

Any advice?
Thanks.

http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

well, I might if I had XP, but I've only got Windows 98, so...

Is the Realistic thing a good bet???

I guess it depends on you. do you have alot of outboard equipment? do you have an efx loop that you could run it through? does extra noise bother you? do you want to hassle with outboard equipment? do you need an analog reverb that bad? If its only 10 pounds, then its not a monetary decision..

or ..... as you are considering a software verb, why not go for one of better freeware VSTi'?

Cost ya nowt :wink:
http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

I actually used to own one of these boxes when I was very young, recording to cassette. It's the Radio Shack reverb, right? Absolutely without question, the worst sounding reverb ever built. Doesn't sound like a reverb at all, more like a small box of plastic echoes. If you want it for funny effects, OK, but if you actually want to put it across a vocal or an instrument, I would stay away.

If it's the one I remember, it's actually some sort of analog delay. It's very noisy and not good. I'd go with one of the previous suggestions and get one of the free plugin reverbs.

Realistic? :shock:

Oo-er...I remember anything by Realistic being pretty dodgy.
As mentioned - no point in buying external h/w reverb unless you either:
A) want a specific character of sound, or
B) Spend an awful lot more money than that.

Considering SIR is free, and you can get hold of some damn good quality 24bit impulse of Lexicons and Eventides and even TC(should you like that sort of thing, although I can't think why anyone does :wink: ) then there's no point spending even a tenner on h/w. SIR can be limiting if your PC spec is not brilliant, but even then, you can work around it by rendering to audio instead of running it live.

I would maybe say, OK it's worth spending on some older h/w multiFX units that happen to make reverb simply because some of the multiFX have character. But purely for the reverb? Nah. Even something like the reverb FX thrown in with Cubase are probably several times better than that Realistic thing.

If you come across some old analogue flanger or phaser etc, then definitely...if you can get something like that for a tenner, then bite the vendor's hand off quickly. But old analogue reverb......shudder :shock:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”