Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

VST License

alex.g
KVRist

59 posts since 22 Feb, 2005, from Italy

Postby alex.g; Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:42 pm VST License

Hi fellows!
I'm going to release some free vst plugins, so I've sent this email to Steinberg to receive some information more about their license, because I couldn't understand well how to send them the signed agreement:

Dear Steinberg staff,
I'm an audio plugins developer using the VST SDK.
I'm going to release some freeware VST plugins on my website and, if
I've well understood, I have to send you a signed copy of the VST
License coming with the SDK.
Do I have to send it to the fax number indicated in the contacts page
(++49 40 210 35-300)?
Could I send instead a scanned copy by e-mail?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards

since I'm a bit in a hurry with the release, and I haven't received an answer yet, I was wondering if any of you had ever done it before... and how!

Thank you for every eventual suggestion!
Alex
ost12666
KVRist

300 posts since 11 Feb, 2003

Postby ost12666; Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:44 am

I didn't sent any signed agreement and don't remember I needed to do it, maybe just to agree online, don't remember... You do need to put something in your about box ,etc. In any case I wouldn't delay the release because of that.
Sometimes, do the wrong thing
haydxn
KVRAF

3367 posts since 16 Feb, 2004, from atop a katamari

Postby haydxn; Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 am

when you obtain the VST SDK, you sign a little agreement there, and you can't get the SDK without doing so. that's pretty much as much as you need to do.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.
alex.g
KVRist

59 posts since 22 Feb, 2005, from Italy

Postby alex.g; Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:21 am

Thank you all for the replies.
I thought the same as you, until I gave a better look at the VST Licensing Agreement.rtf included with the SDK.

Point 5 of chapter 2 (p.2) says:
5. If the Licensee is planning to publish a product, that is using parts or all of the Licensed Software Developer Kit, the Licensee is under the obligation to inform Steinberg about it by sending the signed ‘Steinberg VST PlugIns SDK Licensing Agreement’ to Steinberg, either by mail, or by fax.

I haven't found any other references to this thing on the official website (I regularly accepted the license before downloading the SDK), so I think it's not really applied, perhaps it was an old registration form.

So I'm going to follow your suggestions, and as soon as I upload the plugins I'll make you know :wink:
(I think for the end of the week)

Regards,
Alex
FEV
KVRist

151 posts since 8 Apr, 2002, from Poland

Postby FEV; Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 am

alex.g wrote:Thank you all for the replies.
I thought the same as you, until I gave a better look at the VST Licensing Agreement.rtf included with the SDK.

Point 5 of chapter 2 (p.2) says:
5. If the Licensee is planning to publish a product, that is using parts or all of the Licensed Software Developer Kit, the Licensee is under the obligation to inform Steinberg about it by sending the signed ‘Steinberg VST PlugIns SDK Licensing Agreement’ to Steinberg, either by mail, or by fax.

I haven't found any other references to this thing on the official website (I regularly accepted the license before downloading the SDK), so I think it's not really applied, perhaps it was an old registration form.

From what I read on vst-plugins list a while ago, many devs haven't done that (send signed license agreement). Steinberg isn't that "strict" about it, so don't sweat if you haven't done that :wink:
But if you want to be perfectly sure that you're doing everything right, then just fax the license to Steinberg, and release your plugins (you don't have to wait for their answer AFAIK).

cheers,
Bart
arakula
KVRAF

1940 posts since 16 Aug, 2004, from Vienna, Austria

Postby arakula; Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 pm

FEV wrote:But if you want to be perfectly sure that you're doing everything right, then just fax the license to Steinberg, and release your plugins (you don't have to wait for their answer AFAIK).

I sent them signed licence agreements for VST and ASIO, but never received an answer...
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image
FEV
KVRist

151 posts since 8 Apr, 2002, from Poland

Postby FEV; Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:59 pm

arakula wrote:I sent them signed licence agreements for VST and ASIO, but never received an answer...

Yeah. I belive that this is their standard behaviour :wink:

cheers,
Bart
Rappo Clappo
KVRist

436 posts since 19 Sep, 2016, from Wonderland

Postby Rappo Clappo; Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:42 am Re: VST License

I don't understand what the use of this discussion is; one only needs the agreement of Steinberg when the license is to be transferred. There's a PDF about it.

Google:

Steinberg VST Plug-In SDK Licensing Agreement
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

25062 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am Re: VST License

Rappo Clappo wrote:I don't understand what the use of this discussion is

what, this eleven year old discussion? what dont you understand? that things might have been slightly different over a decade ago? :idiot:
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
Rappo Clappo
KVRist

436 posts since 19 Sep, 2016, from Wonderland

Postby Rappo Clappo; Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:31 am Re: VST License

@whyterabbyt

Hmm.. interesting. Afaiak I was posting under the 'obxd follow up' thread. Because I only clickz links in the feed. In fact I went back to 'obxd original' thread after posting and someone suggested to post another thread about VST licenses. I assumed it was this one.

I didn't look at the date of posting -why should I; I picked it from the 'recent posts' feed- :lol:
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development